crazyboy335's NHL Redesign V2 (Ottawa Senators - 11/31)

crazyboy335

Okay, I set myself up for failure with that last one. For my first redesign that limitation was way too hard to work with, so I'll just start over and do things the way that I'd like to see them in the NHL.

First up is the Kings. I loved their use of purple in the 2000's, and honestly their black and silver uniforms they use right now look like crap. I also brought back the Burger King, but colored him a bit more realistically.

7ZcZbv.png

xDCqU9.png

Thoughts?

Time for Calgary. I absolutely HATE their use of black in their jerseys. Flames aren't black, they're red, orange and yellow - so I added in some orange. The waist stripes are from their mid-90's uniforms (minus the diagonal stripes), while the sleeves continue that rather than using the shoulder pattern from those jerseys.

8V7tje.png

W0KJvn.png

Now Minnesota. Just like in the previous thread, I kept the North Stars look, however I went away with my stupid logo and just used the bear. On the aways I couldn't mesh the red and green, however it cluttered up the homes and alts with the double outline, so there's a little inconsistency.

RDeRFF.png

CJ3MXh.png

HzU7fU.png

Thoughts?

Up next is New Jersey. You can't change perfection, but I did anyway. I added a white outline to the shoulders to add balance, made the red a little brighter and hotter, plus a black alternate because why not?

f7Gq32.png

MzATlU.png

HgV9Mg.png

Kings - I was never a fan of the logo you used for the primary. To me it's just a mismatch of elements that really don't go together. The template is nice, and I appreciate the return of purple, but I'd ditch the crest and go with either the Kings' current crown logo (sans the ridiculous "LA home plate"). 

Flames - I actually really like the orange in the concept. On the road, however, I would outline the logo and numbers in yellow. As it stands, the orange and red are too close of shades and it actually just looks like red on red from a distance. 

Wild - No complaints on the jerseys here. The Wild have, in my opinion, the best logo in all of pro sports so seeing it prominently displayed on the front of a jersey is great. I really hate the way the Wild currently dwarf the logo with the roundel. Only suggestion here would be to change the font. It's a bit too 90s and the numbers are HUGE. 

Devils - Love it. Love everything about it. The black alternate is awesome. 

And just as a general suggestion; I would work on the name and number sizing. The Kings and Flames look pretty decent in that regard, the numbers may be a little big, but on the Wild and Devils uniforms, they're huge. It's probably because you used single digits (those three that you did, the numbers look the most off scale), a good rule of thumb is to imagine what the numbers would look like for two-digit players. Single digits or two-digits, you should have the same sized numbers regardless. 

Yeah you're right, those numbers are pretty big. I edited the above post with some smaller numbers and a slightly adjusted captain's patch.

I'm working on redoing the Kings right now. Their crown really doesn't work with my color scheme because of the silver, so I may just go custom.

I see I got a whole lot of input for that Kings logo, haha.

Next up is Philly. Their current set is pretty good, but I gave it a slight tweak. The black outline comes back on the stripes and the stripes themselves are tweaked to make the numbers fit again. The collars also got a slight adjustment. No alternates this time though, a full black set just doesn't work.

FwqDiw.png

yYkyBV.png

Continuing with the Metro (I'm just jumping around here), how about the Caps? Their current logo / uni set is sooo boring. I went with the late 90's alternate as a uniform basis and used the Weagle as the primary over the text.

U0ELU7.png

uHepS5.png

ofUbGh.png

I'm not sold on the thirds yet, but I refuse to do a throwback.

Really like the Islanders.

Just a couple execution comments across the board: 1) All Striping should go above the template lines 2) The template lines should stop at the top of the hem striping 3) The designs will look a lot cleaner if you scale up the #OB (just eyeballing, it could probably handle being 1.5x larger) and pull the NOB down a tad.

You've got a strong design eye and if you clean up the execution you'll be going places.

Here's Anaheim, using their Mighty Ducks colors with the 2007-2014 uniforms. I think these turned out excellent.

When I put the striping above the template it didn't look right to me, so I kept it down there just because that's what I know to do. The name and number are slightly adjusted like you suggested.

LuYATe.png

fTyJCU.png

izKF0q.png

Next up, the Canes. I tweaked their logo a little to make it less 1997-ish and more modern, then looked back on their first set of uniforms and simplified it a little. The squares now turn up on the arms, plus the old 2000's font returns over that thin font they currently use.

9cSxm2.png

FheOLD.png

FzZkDT.png

Time for Arizona. I liked their 90's uniforms so I made the stripes easier on the eyes and eliminated green to make it look cleaner. I'm still uncertain on the shoulder numbers and the use of white over sand, but anything is better than what they use now.

ky1cqp.png

4iIBmK.png

Lots of creative ideas here, so props for that. Overall comments, the NOB could benefit from being moved a bit lower, almost splitting the difference between the yoke and #OB. Again with the striping beneath the template lines, but if that's how you've trained yourself to work, I can get past that.

Ducks: Primary logo should be larger on the home and road, seems fine on the alt. I would also swap the eggplant and jade on the road sweater so that eggplant can remain the primary color, as it is on the home.

Canes: Solid look that keeps things more consistent than their current set. Road is a little black-heavy, but I'm not sure there's a way to avoid that with this pattern. With the warning flag striping, I'd leave the vertical dividers between each flag in there. At the moment, I'm getting a camera film vibe rather than warning flags.

Yotes: Nice way to clean up and simplify their 90s look a bit. The new kachina pattern works to give them a unique identity without complicating things, so good work on that. I'm generally not opposed to shoulder numbers, but with the yoke as large as it is it may be a strange look. I'd suggest moving them to the arms and recoloring as need on the road. 

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll get started on those shortly.

Buffalo seems to be in a persistent identity crisis, and the way I'd solve it is to go straight back to their look from 1987-1996. I made the blue a bit darker and the yellow deeper, plus adding a front number like they have right now.

ICTYNi.png

q55hI9.png

I adjusted the sets above like you suggested, unfortunately I can't seem to get the dividers into the Canes logo. It's just a limitation I have with GIMP.

Now we have Ottawa. I like the black, red and cream they have going on with their throwbacks, so I used that striping pattern and mixed an alternate logo with the spikes from the old "S" logo. The tower also comes back on the shoulders.

GT6fDf.png

2eFG2H.png

lanndS.png

Archived