sam the man

Minor League Baseball News

Recommended Posts

A lot of stories about the proposal seem to refer to many of their ideas about realignment as fact. Has the official report been leaked or released and if so, does anyone know where I could find it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, sportsfan7 said:

A lot of stories about the proposal seem to refer to many of their ideas about realignment as fact. Has the official report been leaked or released and if so, does anyone know where I could find it?

No official information as of yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, monkeypower said:

I don't know, maybe eliminating some of these teams will improve the working conditions of MiLB, especially will all the concerns raised about minor league wages? Trim some of the fat and maybe have some more money for the other teams, but that assumes that the MLB owners will want to spend the money.

 

I know it'll be terrible for the towns and some players, but I think MiLB might need something like this with the issues surrounding wages. Do we really need to have all of Rookie Advanced, A Short Season, A and A Advanced?

 

They won't.  Many refuse to spend money on their major league teams already. How many major league teams played this season with no serious playoff aspirations again?  MLB is seriously broken right now, and tightening up the minors in the name of efficiency isn't going to fix the core issue (which is, there's no point in watching if y'alls ain't trying to win)

 

Speaking of which, one of the complaints I saw leveled about the minors nowadays is that they "de-emphasize the game".  Well I have news for you as someone who typically sees a few minor league games a year-the on field product does a very bad job of selling itself, mostly because the hyper focus on player development sacrifices sound baseball play in the name of seeing how players handle various set piece situations, like "oh, a runner is on first, time for 20 pickoff attempts" or the pointless and failed steal attempts that make no sense situationally.  I'm not quite sure what the solution is, but what the majors are proposing probably is not it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

There’s an economic system in minor league baseball where we heavily subsidize what goes on in minor league baseball. We are more than prepared to continue to do that. Against that backdrop, I don’t think it’s unreasonable for us to expect that we have facilities that are first class for some of the greatest athletes in the world, that we have league alignments that produce travel that is reasonable and not onerous for those same athletes. And I think over the long haul, minor league baseball will be at the table and prepared to discuss those things.”

-Rob Manfred

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems to me that anything involved with player development should be on MLB's dime. If they want to control player facilities, they should pay for it. 

 

Now, if they want a cut of ticket revenue for the trouble or whatever- that's a quibble between billionaires and millionaires. 

Honestly MLB teams really should just be owning their affiliates at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RichO said:

Seems to me that anything involved with player development should be on MLB's dime. If they want to control player facilities, they should pay for it. 

 

Now, if they want a cut of ticket revenue for the trouble or whatever- that's a quibble between billionaires and millionaires. 

Honestly MLB teams really should just be owning their affiliates at this point.

They don't do that in hockey, why do it in baseball?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bet the indy pro and summer-collegiate leagues are SALIVATING at the possibility of all these new markets & ballparks opening up for them...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MBurmy said:

Bet the indy pro and summer-collegiate leagues are SALIVATING at the possibility of all these new markets & ballparks opening up for them...

Not if MLB convinces the NCAA to push back the CWS later. It would mortally wound, if not kill the collegiate summer leagues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, dfwabel said:

There’s an economic system in minor league baseball where we heavily subsidize what goes on in minor league baseball. We are more than prepared to continue to do that. Against that backdrop, I don’t think it’s unreasonable for us to expect that we have facilities that are first class for some of the greatest athletes in the world, that we have league alignments that produce travel that is reasonable and not onerous for those same athletes. And I think over the long haul, minor league baseball will be at the table and prepared to discuss those things.”

-Rob Manfred


Here's the problem, Rob Manfred: If MLB officials and team owners have determined that there are certain criteria (beyond meeting standard, government-mandated safety code) that they require facilities to meet in order to play host to affiliated minor league teams, then MLB shouldn't simply "subsidize" minor league baseball franchises meeting said criteria. Rather, if MLB requires any facility standards beyond government-mandated safety code, then MLB should be footing the bill - in its entirety - to make meeting said standards a reality. 

Further, if MLB officials and team owners require "league alignments that produce travel that is reasonable and not onerous" for minor league ballplayers under contract to MLB teams, then MLB officials should be scheduling meetings with potential minor league team owners, civic leaders, and government officials in municipalities that MLB feels would fit within the territorial parameters of "reasonable and not onerous" league alignments. At these meetings, MLB officials could then hammer out agreements in which MLB contractually obligates itself to pay the entirety of the costs of meeting MLB-required facility standards in exchange for minor league owners/local civic leaders/local government officials committing to pick up the tab for construction of a facility that meets standard, government-mandated safety code.

Bottom line? MLB should be on the hook for paying the entirety of the cost of any facilities standards (beyond meeting standard, government-mandated safety code) that they require a potential minor league ownership group/market to meet in order to be considered to host an affiliated farm team. Period. If MLB balks at that arrangement, let them go out and pay the full price of building minor league ballparks from the ground up, maintaining said facilities, and operating the facilities and the teams that utilize them... without any financial assistance from minor league ownership groups and local civic and government leadership.

And while we're at it, how about Commissioner Manfred and the MLB owners see to it that they operate their entertainment businesses without the benefit of a federal antitrust exemption.          

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

They don't do that in hockey, why do it in baseball?

 

Many do, though, at least in the AHL, which is really the only formal developmental minor league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MBurmy said:

Bet the indy pro and summer-collegiate leagues are SALIVATING at the possibility of all these new markets & ballparks opening up for them...

 

Pioneer and Appy league markets aren't really viable absent MLB subsidies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MBurmy said:

Bet the indy pro and summer-collegiate leagues are SALIVATING at the possibility of all these new markets & ballparks opening up for them.

 

And also at the availability of so many players. If only the Camden Riversharks and especially the Newark Bears could have hung in for this, especially if the Atlantic League is now going to lose its team in Sugar Land, Texas (which, geographically, is a spectacularly poor fit for that league).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rams80 said:

Pioneer and Appy league markets aren't really viable absent MLB subsidies.

 

I hope they remain, despite the building evidence that they won't. There's something quaint about watching low-level baseball in a 3,000 seat all-bleacher ballpark with teams named after their MLB affiliates. It's like time-traveling to the 1950s.

 

That said, MLB subsidies are the only thing keeping the Danville Braves and Burlington Royals afloat - and if they do remain, that's the way it should continue to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.