sam the man

Minor League Baseball News

What's going on with all this consolidation?

Hey, the Astros model is basically murdering major league baseball in a bunch of midsize markets, I guess the statheads figured minor league towns deserve to get in on the "fun" as well.

8 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

If this list doesn't include the poor facilities found in Beloit, I'm not sure what sort of faith I could have in it 🙂

When I thought about the Midwest League, it starts with Beloit. That they are not in that list and (in order of surprise) the Quad Cities River Bandits, Clinton LumberKings and Burlington Bees are, makes it a bit suspect to me. That also leaves the Cedar Rapids Kernels on an island, which goes against the geographic theory.

(Also: Chattanooga Lookouts? Really?)

The two in the Florida State League baffle me a little, well maybe just Daytona.  The Florida Fire Frogs were bought out of their lease after the 2019 season and as of today are currently homeless and haven't publicly announced a new home for 2020.  Daytona on the other hand is one of the better drawing teams attendance-wise, but play in a smaller antiquated stadium.  Could be why, but their affiliates in the past (Cubs and Reds) don't seem to complain.

Daytona and Florida are also (as of 2019) the two teams relatively isolated from the rest (4 teams in Tampa-Lakeland area, 3 in SW Florida, and 3 between St Lucie/Palm Beach.  

11 hours ago, CubsFanBudMan said:

When I thought about the Midwest League, it starts with Beloit. That they are not in that list and (in order of surprise) the Quad Cities River Bandits, Clinton LumberKings and Burlington Bees are, makes it a bit suspect to me. That also leaves the Cedar Rapids Kernels on an island, which goes against the geographic theory.

(Also: Chattanooga Lookouts? Really?)

Quad Cities' presence is surprising when you think about the quality of the facilities there (and the size of the market), but they're an Astros affiliate (read DustDevils' link) and the River Bandits spent like a month on the road last season because Mississippi River flooding in Davenport left the stadium inaccessible.  This is unacceptable for a franchise that has never ever had to play games elsewhere due to acts of God. /sarcasm

Cedar Rapids is the largest Iowa Midwest League market after the Quad Cities AND a Twins affiliate, which is enough to save them given the likely arbitrariness with which the Houston statheads compiled the list.

It looks like Quad Citites in on the list only because Beloit might actually get their act together. All this and more in the latest from Ballpark Digest:

https://ballparkdigest.com/2019/11/18/more-details-emerge-on-mlbs-assault-on-hometown-baseball/

I think the only bigger surprise than Beloit not being on this list is the fact that Beloit is even still around at all.

Think about if you were to travel back to the mid-80s, when Appleton, Beloit, Kenosha, Madison, Wausau, and Wisconsin Rapids all had teams in the Midwest League.  Then tell people there would only be two Wisconsin teams left in 2020.  How many would seriously guess Beloit to be one of them?

Supposedly dropping Binghamton will move the Brooklyn Cyclones up to AA, so I guess that changes the whole NYC metro area deal with the high minor leagues

14 hours ago, RyanMcD29 said:

Supposedly dropping Binghamton will move the Brooklyn Cyclones up to AA, so I guess that changes the whole NYC metro area deal with the high minor leagues

The whole thing that confuses me here is that when Staten island and Brooklyn both came around, it was the territorial agreement of NYC and the Yankees and Mets where they both had to have teams in the market to be equal.  If Brooklyn survives and Staten Island does not, I foresee a Yankees rebuttal coming.

On 11/17/2019 at 10:24 AM, Wade Heidt said:

Vancouver Canadians fan here.  I see 2 teams from the Northwest League on the list.  The league has only 8 teams.  Is there plans for the Northwest League to merge with another short-season Single A league?  A 6 team league is not ideal.

I forget where I saw this, I will try to find it (although it could have been speculative), but I think the idea is to create a AA league on the west coast to help with travel costs for MLB clubs west of the Mississippi. I think the working theory is that these teams would be used to frankenstein a new AA league. Not sure of all the logistics or how exactly that would work, but it would obviously involve several markets jumping up/down levels.

I think MLB wants to avoid farm systems like the Giants that go from Oregon, to Georgia, to California, to Virginia, then back to California.

Tri-City ValleyCats of the NYPL were not on the list, which leads me to think that they'll be one of the replacement spots for Binghamton and Erie.  Troy is across the river from Albany, the Albany-Schenectady-Troy metropolitan area has 1 million+ people (Goes from Hudson to Glens Falls/Lake George to Amsterdam to Pittsfield MA).  

The Mets could move their EL team to Brooklyn.  

1 hour ago, Needschat said:

Tri-City ValleyCats of the NYPL were not on the list, which leads me to think that they'll be one of the replacement spots for Binghamton and Erie.

I've heard that the ValleyCats are also being considered for inclusion in a new Class A "Mid-Atlantic League". They'd join the Hudson Valley Renegades, Lakewood BlueClaws, Delmarva Shorebirds, Aberdeen IronBirds, and West Virginia Black Bears. There's the possibility that a couple of other teams might be added to that circuit.

Right now, everything is in a state of flux. There are going to be some "fireworks" at the Winter Meetings, that's for sure.

#StrikeOutTheExemption 

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

If the Brooklyn Cyclones move up to AA, would they have to increase seating for MCU Park?

They should not have to  looking at wiki that capacity is about right in the middle of the current list. And really the largest stadium, the Baysox's, being from that area, I know that was supposed to be AAA club which is why the stadium has a 10,000 capacity.