sam the man

Minor League Baseball News

19 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:
50 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

My guess is those out of work players won't result in more teams. The better players will land with other affiliated teams. The rest will likely cost a lot of independent league players their jobs. For example, if our Lake Erie Crushers have a choice between the SS who played a year of short season A ball or a SS who played three years of double A ball, they're going with the double A player. The short season A player better hope there is an independent team out there with a SS worse than he is or he's out of baseball. Long story short, I think the best the independent leagues could hope for out of several hundred out of work players is an across the board increase in the quality of independent league play. 

This is a very good point

Thanks. 

Now that Astros management has been launched into the sun, can we stop considering their dumbass plans?

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Now that Astros management has been launched into the sun, can we stop considering their dumbass plans?

With pleasure. 

G6hFBIG.jpg

7 hours ago, the admiral said:

I prefer to have the burned at the stake myself, but remember the Orioles, Brewers, and Rockies are still supporting the Disastros' idea.

Since there have been some mentions of collegiate wood bat leagues in this thread, I think it's worth mentioning the likely precipice that sort of league is facing. Summer college ball has been thriving as late; the Northwoods League is now at 22 teams, many of them in markets once inhabited by the Midwest League or an indy circuit. It's a much more favorable business model, because all the on-field labor works for free. Can't pay the players and violate their precious NCAA amateur status, after all. But if the push to pay college athletes continues and succeeds, those athletes aren't going to want to spend their summers toiling away at a volunteer gig.

Also, I remember this story from when the Northern League went kablooey, Check out Joe Stefani, 28-year-old baseball team owner and sports finance mastermind, telling people in Joliet to wise up, that the only way forward for baseball in their town was if players worked for free. Anyway, the Joliet Slammers' 10th season in the Frontier League starts in May, and Stefani's Rockford Foresters were a travel team by 2013.