Minor League Baseball News

sam the man

2 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

“We look forward to our partnership with MLB incorporating the American Association into the MLB family. To grow America’s Pastime, it’s critical to bring all stakeholders in professional baseball to the table,We believe this association with Major League Baseball will culminate in a comprehensive agreement that will grow baseball and shine an even brighter light on the American Association. The American Association has already established itself as a premier professional league in North America, this partnership will only enhance the American Association’s stature among the professional baseball world.” - Joshua Schaub, American Association Commissioner

“The Frontier League is honored to become a Partner League with Major League Baseball. This partnership will be beneficial in growing our great game of Baseball in all of our United States and Canadian markets. Our teams and fans will all be excited to see the League grow in years to come. The Frontier League began in 1993, to have a relationship with Major League Baseball, is one of the greatest moments in League history.” -  Bill Lee, Frontier League Commissioner

Operation of the affiliated minor leagues to be brought in-house. Check. The three oldest independent minor leagues slowly being brought to heel via "partnerships". Check. It's time for Congress to give Major League Baseball's antitrust exemption a thorough examination... perhaps leading to its being overturned entirely.

So what does this mean for the St. Paul Saints?

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People always talk about revoking the anti-trust exemption.  What exactly would that mean?  What would be different about the world if MLB lost it?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

People always talk about revoking the anti-trust exemption.  What exactly would that mean?  What would be different about the world if MLB lost it?

Major League Baseball's antitrust exemption remains in place with regard to MLB's relationship with the minor leagues and the players who ply their trade therein. For instance, MLB doesn't have to worry about being sued by MiLB teams that are adversely impacted by the proposed restructuring of the affiliated minors, as the antitrust exemption deprives minor league teams of the right to challenge said plan or seek redress in the federal courts.

Federal antitrust law also means that MLB need not be worried about affiliated minor league players filing suit in federal court over issues such as low salaries or disciplinary actions for positive drug tests. Some 40 minor league ballplayers have been seeking to take the Kansas City Royals to federal court for nearly six years. Their argument is that the Royals organization, MLB, and all other MLB franchises have routinely violated the federal Fair Labor Standards Act and state laws that guarantee minimum wage and overtime pay for workers. The players in question point to the fact that many minor league ballplayers earn a pittance compared to players in the big leagues. This, despite putting in up to 70 hours of work a week (based upon playing in half-a-dozen games, practicing, taking part in conditioning sessions, and traveling), plus being required to participate in extended spring training and/or instructional league play. The suit in question has gone nowhere at the federal level due to MLB being protected by its antitrust exemption.     

Further, with regard to the proposed affiliated minor league reorganization, government entities - municipalities, counties, or states - that invested public monies towards the construction of ballparks that were to host MiLB teams could, upon said teams being eliminated under MLB's restructuring plan, seek recompense via litigation in federal court... if the federal antitrust exemption was struck down.

And these are just the issues tied to MLB's relationship with the affiliated minors. The antitrust exemption also protects MLB from federal litigation regarding issues such as control over  relocation of individual franchises and the parameters of individual club broadcasting deals.  

Of all of those things mentioned in "what could happen if MLB lost its antitrust exemption", what is actually likely to happen, and what potential suits would likely go against MLB?  I'm not going to pretend that the antitrust exemption isn't a big deal, but I'm not seeing how losing it would in any way bring down the machine.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

23 hours ago, Dilbert said:

I actually like this idea...ever since the Madison Mallards, summer-collegiate baseball has become the future of the minor-league game, as the Mallards' brother teams (including my Kenosha Kingfish) can attest to. 

Not to mention, this also enables them to expand on their own rather than wait for an MLB expansion which may or may not happen in the next few years.

Only thing is...with the affiliations gone, the MLB identities will be too-what kind of nicknames will we be seeing?  The plot thickens by the moment...

bYhYmxh.png

On 9/25/2020 at 5:36 PM, BBTV said:

Of all of those things mentioned in "what could happen if MLB lost its antitrust exemption", what is actually likely to happen, and what potential suits would likely go against MLB?  I'm not going to pretend that the antitrust exemption isn't a big deal, but I'm not seeing how losing it would in any way bring down the machine.

What suits would likely go against MLB if the antitrust exemption were revoked? It's impossible to say, though two contenders leap out at me.  

There's every reason to believe that the issues at the core of class action lawsuits brought by minor league players against MLB for violation of the Fair Labor Standards Act would not be so easily dismissed without the antitrust exemption. Earlier this year, MLB announced that the minimum weekly salaries for minor league players would be raised in 2021. Rookie and short-season level players will make at least $400 per week, Class A players will earn a minimum of $500 a week, Double A compensation will rise to $600 weekly, and Triple A pay will go up to a minimum of $700 a week. However, that doesn't truly address the fact that the majority of minor league baseball players are being compensated at a level below the poverty line. Bear in mind that minor leaguers are paid only during the season. Said compensation covers not only the time the players spend competing in games, but also all of the hours spent at practices, at physical training sessions, in team meetings, and traveling to and from said events. Those minor leaguers required to report to spring training and extended spring training are not compensated at all for the time spent during those work periods. Nor are they paid for off-season conditioning that they must engage in on their own time in order to maintain the physical well-being required of a professional athlete.

Also, lawsuits dealing with MLB's unilateral limiting of franchise relocations - such as that filed by the City of San Jose in its attempt to land the Oakland Athletics - would not be so easily dismissed simply as a result of MLB's antitrust exemption being recognized by the courts.

The revocation of MLB's antitrust exemption wouldn't "bring down the machine", though that's the type of hyperbolic rationale that MLB officials and team owners embrace when arguing for the continued existence of the special status. That said, the loss of the exemption would curtail some of the unilateral power that MLB has enjoyed since first being granted the status, which - in turn - would hit MLB owners in their wallets a bit more than they'd like.              

2 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Rookie and short-season level players will make at least $400 per week, Class A players will earn a minimum of $500 a week, Double A compensation will rise to $600 weekly, and Triple A pay will go up to a minimum of $700 a week.

Even the US Senate begrudgingly gave unemployed Americans $600 dollars a week. MLB can go to hell.

15 hours ago, sportsfan7 said:

Fun little tidbit: When we were kids, the lawyer/former player from the article, Garrett Broshuis (pronounced Brush-house), was one of my best friends. We went to school together in southeast MO, from Kindergarten through 2nd Grade before I moved out to southwest MO.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, GDAWG said:

A sign that the Blue Jays are keeping Dunedin or Lansing, depending on where the Northwest League lands on the new system.

MORE: Susan Slusser is reporting that Beloit will be losing their affiliation with Oakland. It's unclear whether Beloit is out or not.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

7 hours ago, buzzcut said:

A sign that the Blue Jays are keeping Dunedin or Lansing, depending on where the Northwest League lands on the new system.

MORE: Susan Slusser is reporting that Beloit will be losing their affiliation with Oakland. It's unclear whether Beloit is out or not.

I would think Beloit would be in considering they are currently building a new stadium set to open next year

Signature intentionally left blank

On 10/21/2020 at 10:19 AM, buzzcut said:

Dunedin is where the Blue Jays hold spring training, and the staff is their staff, so I doubt Dunedin goes anywhere for Toronto.

• 2 weeks later...

More changes are being leaked as the definitive shape of MiLB continues to be finalized:

https://ballparkdigest.com/2020/11/02/details-of-mlb-takeover-of-milb-emerge/

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

25 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

I still want to know which teams made the cut. It would help give people an idea of what teams and leagues are staying and which teams and leagues are going away.

This presumes that someone knows or that this has been decided. I'd against either of those being final.

It's where I sit.

Archived