Minor League Baseball News

sam the man

So is it bad form to yell at the scouts when teams do something situationally stupid going forward? Because I am sorely tempted to do so.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baseball America is reporting the Yankees are switching AA from Trenton to the independent Somerset Patriots, and Charleston will be replaced by NYPL Hudson Valley, which becomes their new high-A. (Tampa drops to low-A as part of the FSL shift.)

5 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

There's the first domino..

Well the first domino was the Appy League going to College Wood Bat, but that was an entire league. This is just the first solo team booting from MiLB

Signature intentionally left blank

Damn, Trenton would be a great spot for a Phillies affiliate but there's no way they're moving on from AA Reading and AAA Lehigh Valley.

Never paid much attention to them, but I always assumed that the Thunder drew well.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Damn, Trenton would be a great spot for a Phillies affiliate but there's no way they're moving on from AA Reading and AAA Lehigh Valley.

Never paid much attention to them, but I always assumed that the Thunder drew well.

Not to mention Lakewood Jersey Shore Blue Claws. Trenton got the short end of the stick here. I've never understood why the Yankees would want Somerset.

Signature intentionally left blank

Somerset has better facilities and is closer to NY

The Phils own Reading so they can't take Trenton, and it seems like Jersey Shore is headed for the new high-A Mid-Atlantic League, creating a GCL > Clearwater > Jersey Shore > Reading > Lehigh Valley path.

On 11/2/2020 at 9:39 AM, buzzcut said:

More changes are being leaked as the definitive shape of MiLB continues to be finalized:

https://ballparkdigest.com/2020/11/02/details-of-mlb-takeover-of-milb-emerge/

"There should be less change on the Triple-A and Double-A fronts. Three Triple-A teams—San Antonio, Fresno and Wichita—have been designated to move from Triple-A to Double-A’s Texas League or (in the case of Fresno) to what will be the Low-A Cal League. Taking their place: St. Paul, where the Minnesota Twins could affiliate with the St. Paul Saints; Sugar Land and Jacksonville, which will become the Miami Marlins’ top affiliate. Miami is one of the winners in the realignment, with a Triple-A affiliate just up the coast and the addition of Pensacola as a Double-A affiliate. Texas and Houston are also winners, with league alignments designed to protect their investments in High-A and Low-A markets."

This is about how I saw this coming.  AAA affiliates being a LOT closer to their parent teams in general (Minnesota - St. Paul, Houston - Sugar Land, and Miami - Jacksonville). You'll see a lot more of that Atlanta/Gwinnett dynamic in the coming years-- the days of an AAA franchise affiliate being located across the country are GONE. 

Kind of sucks that this nice, relatively new AAA-level stadium in Fresno:
Chukchansi.jpg

...will now be used for a low-level A league team. 

Almost as bad is how Wichita built a brand new AAA stadium to lure the Baby Cakes franchise, weren't able to have them play there in their inaugural year of 2020 as planned (due to COVID), and now are down to a AA level team. 

It is what it is.

2 hours ago, B-Rich said:

Three Triple-A teams—San Antonio, Fresno and Wichita—have been designated to move from Triple-A to Double-A’s Texas League or (in the case of Fresno) to what will be the Low-A Cal League. Taking their place: St. Paul, where the Minnesota Twins could affiliate with the St. Paul Saints; Sugar Land and Jacksonville, which will become the Miami Marlins’ top affiliate.

Glad to see San Antonio back in the Texas League. Partly because it's easier to travel to away games and also because I think San Antonio has bigger issues than a new stadium. 

14 hours ago, BigEd76 said:

Somerset has better facilities and is closer to NY

This was given a s a reason that some players were sent to AA instead of AAA. so not surprised to see more of this happen with realignment of the leagues.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

50 minutes ago, _J_ said:

Wonder where this puts the Rochester Red Wings. I'd imagine Washington would be a choice, especially if Fresno and they were good with Syracuse for a while.

My guess is Pittsburgh, with Indianapolis going to the WSox, and Charlotte to Washington, although the Mid-Atlantic teams (Charlotte, Durham, Norfolk) are all interchangeable. The PCL is a lot hard to minimize distance for.

2 minutes ago, sportsfan7 said:

My guess is Pittsburgh, with Indianapolis going to the WSox, and Charlotte to Washington, although the Mid-Atlantic teams (Charlotte, Durham, Norfolk) are all interchangeable. The PCL is a lot hard to minimize distance for.

Norfolk is owned by the Orioles, so that isn't changing.

I'd LOVE to see Pittsburgh honestly. 

Also would mark the first time in a while that the Red Wings would be with a National League parent club.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

3 hours ago, sportsfan7 said:

Indianapolis going to the WSox

Reportedly, the White Sox have made it known to MLB brass that they are happy with their lineup of affiliates - Charlotte at AAA, Birmingham at AA, Winston-Salem at High A, and Kannapolis at Low A - as currently constituted and don't wish to make any changes.

17 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

Reportedly, the White Sox have made it known to MLB brass that they are happy with their lineup of full-season affiliates - Charlotte at AAA, Birmingham at AA, Winston-Salem at High A, and Kannapolis at Low A - as currently constituted and don't wish to make any changes.

Thank god. I appreciate the stability being affiliated with the White Sox for nearly 25 years has brought, if Charlotte can't have an MLB team yet I'm more than happy with where we are for now.

the user formerly known as cdclt

Current minor league affiliates for the Texas Rangers: Nashville Sounds (AAA), Frisco Roughriders (AA), Down East Wood Ducks (Class A Advanced), Hickory Crawdads (Class A), Spokane Indians (Class A Short Season), The AZL Rangers (Arizona Fall League) and Two Rookie teams in the Dominican Republic.

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

Current minor league affiliates for the Texas Rangers: Nashville Sounds (AAA), Frisco Roughriders (AA), Down East Wood Ducks (Class A Advanced), Hickory Crawdads (Class A), Spokane Indians (Class A Short Season), The AZL Rangers (Arizona Fall League) and Two Rookie teams in the Dominican Republic.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Rangers' AAA affiliate. Most people are presuming that the Astros are going to want to place their AAA farm club in Sugar Land, Texas, a market that will likely slot into the Pacific Coast League. That would leave the Round Rock Express - a Texas Rangers affiliate for eight seasons - available at AAA. 

I can't see Texas severing their ties with Frisco of the AA Texas League. The Rangers own both the Down East Wood Ducks of the High A Carolina League and the Hickory Crawdads of the Low A South Atlantic League, so those affiliations aren't going anywhere. Beyond that, the Rangers will continue to provide complex-based instruction and competition to younger talent.     

Triple A for Seattle is easy - Tacoma.

After that, it becomes a bit of a crap shoot. Double A is Arkansas, Single A Advanced is Modesto (which the M's are part owners of), Class A is West Virginia and Short Season is Everett.

I have a hunch that Modesto and Everett stays. Modesto stays because the M's are part owner of the team and Everett being so close to the main site helps in case of rehab situations (along with the Northwest League moving to High A). This leaves Arkansas and West Virginia out.

Archived