Minor League Baseball News

well, it's nice to see the Riverdogs get to stay. still don't know why Charleston isn't in the Southern League when either they or Columbia really should be, but at least they're still a team.

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why I'm Not Owned: A Treatise In Four Parts

The Baby Cakes moved to Wichita for the promise of a new AAA stadium, then got relegated to AA before they could play a game!

The reality of independent minor-pro baseball isn't one St. Paul Saints-level success story after another. Far from it.  Since the birth of the modern independent-pro baseball movement in 1993, my

Posted Images

All MLB franchises but the New York Yankees and Colorado Rockies have posted stories to their official team websites announcing the MiLB teams to which affiliation invitations had been extended. The Yankees had previously announced the MiLB teams they'd be affiliating with going forward, doing so on November 7th. As for the Rockies, they're likely waiting to learn whether the Fresno Grizzlies are willing to move to the A classification California League before announcing their slate of affiliates.  

Lake County is the 6th Mid-Atlantic team. BTW, I have compiled the full league lists at the following:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hiuzvnj3Gqg1TUTJqJeOEkTsNYFV9fZD9mtBImfRPrc/edit

So the Cougars probably go into the American Association to fill the void left by St. Paul. The team's been around 30 years and has always drawn well, but I don't know how things will go if they're taking on 100% of the payroll and trips to Winnipeg and Cleburne.

Im very intrigued to see some league and divisional alignments, especially in Triple A and High A.  I sense a shift of having more teams in the International League might happen, but do they go with something other than a 16-14 split.

2 hours ago, JerseyJimmy said:

well, it's nice to see the Riverdogs get to stay. still don't know why Charleston isn't in the Southern League when either they or Columbia really should be, but at least they're still a team.

South Carolina is an outlier to the footprint of the Southern league, more so now that Jacksonville is gone.  The South Atlantic League is more of a fit for travel purposes.

2 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

They killed the Kane County Cougars?

After pulling out of Peoria to go there the Rickettses decided they didn't like Kane County after all and the ChiSox are happy with a North Carolina-centric system.

I’ve been doing a bit of review of the MLB Partner Leagues (whatever that ends up being) The Frontier, Atlantic, and American Association,and I could see a bit of a realignment within these leagues with some possible additions like Kane County, Burlington IA, Clinton IA, and maybe Jackson TN.

5 hours ago, TBGKon said:

I’ve been doing a bit of review of the MLB Partner Leagues (whatever that ends up being) The Frontier, Atlantic, and American Association,and I could see a bit of a realignment within these leagues with some possible additions like Kane County, Burlington IA, Clinton IA, and maybe Jackson TN.

Realistically, Burlington and Clinton would probably be best served by membership in the summer collegiate Northwoods League. Yes, the circuit only plays a 72 game season, as opposed to the Midwest League's schedule of 140 games. That said, the bulk of the circuit's membership is located in states that the Bees and LumberKings were already traveling to as members of the Midwest League - namely, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin. There's also an existing Iowa-based club - the Waterloo Bucks.

Plus, having to foot the bill for player salaries in an independent minor league could prove financially challenging after years of counting upon MLB affiliates to do so. College players don't require such compensation. 

3 hours ago, TBGKon said:

Im very intrigued to see some league and divisional alignments, especially in Triple A and High A.  I sense a shift of having more teams in the International League might happen, but do they go with something other than a 16-14 split.

I heard mentioned, long time ago, that it would be a 10/20 split for less travel in Triple-A.