Minor League Baseball News

sam the man

6 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

I would say that the carpet-bombing of league identities is a prelude to selling corporate naming rights to each league, and maybe it is. But I think MLB's true endgame here is abandoning the minors entirely, and replacing the whole system with taxi squads like we saw in 2020. Everything outside of that is something someone else can pay for.

I mean, it is not the worst idea to reduce the number of minor league affiliates. Given how much minor leaguers make and how many players there are, I am sure there plenty of people in the minors who should be persuing another profession.

I saw, I came, I left.

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Paw Sox games became a pretty regular part of my youth after that, so making my way to McCoy had become "old hat" by the time my friend Rob, his father, and I set out for the ballpark about six months shy of eight years later. It was Saturday, April 18, 1981 and there would be nothing ordinary about that trip to Pawtucket. Little did we know that the game's start would be delayed by a half-hour due to problems with the ballpark's lights... or, that once the game had gotten underway, it would take 33 innings and nearly 8-1/2 hours of play over three calendar days to determine a winner. Rob, his dad, and I were there for every minute of the longest professional baseball game ever played. As a kid, I'd always dreamed of making sports history one day; I never dreamed I'd do so as a spectator. Man, I had some explaining to do to my mother when I walked into my house at quarter-of-five on Easter morning of 1981.

I've read about that game before, had no idea that a member of this board was there to see it!

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

A Breakdown of Minor League Baseball’s Total Realignment for 2021

February 15, 2021 - 16:16 PM

The world of Minor League Baseball was completely turned on its head last week when Major League Baseball announced a total restructering of the entire system. What was previously fourteen leagues spread out over five levels is now eleven leagues over four levels, massive re-alignments were implemented to accomodate this

Read More...

48 minutes ago, BigEd76 said:

Lexington has an announcement scheduled for tomorrow, where I'm guessing they'll say they're joining the Atlantic or Frontier League

Atlantic League would make sense, maybe with the addition of one of the remaining castoffs like the West Virginia Power, Jackson Generals, Vermont Lake Monsters, or a travel squad.

On a side note, looking at the Frontier and Atlantic leagues, maybe a merger/swap is in order to rightsize the leagues.  Atlantic can take the eastern teams and Frontier can take the western ones.

1 hour ago, TBGKon said:

On a side note, looking at the Frontier and Atlantic leagues, maybe a merger/swap is in order to rightsize the leagues.  Atlantic can take the eastern teams and Frontier can take the western ones.

I agree. Although, if they do join one of the Partner Leagues, that makes 40 teams among the 4 leagues. If possible, I'd split those up into 4 regional leagues of 10. Trickiest part would be which team joins the Pioneer League. The westernmost  teams of the American Association are in bordering states/provinces, but on the eastern sides.

Well considering how the Frontier League just announced their schedule today and said they will be 16 teams for this season, I highly doubt thats where the Legends are going. I cant see them going to the Atlantic League as its slightly out of the leagues current footprint. At this point I think they would join a college league or create their own league like Salem Keizer did. In my opinion I think they along with the West Virginia Power, and Jackson Generals could team up to create a new league.

Signature intentionally left blank

Minor league schedules were released today. Pretty much everything is six-game series running Tuesday through Sunday, with everyone having Mondays off for travel except Triple-A West, which will have Wednesdays off for cheaper flight rates.

Lots of weird 1-year setups, including some divisions staying within their own (like Triple-A East Northeast), AAA having the only All-Star break, and nobody expecting to have playoffs

Lexington Legends are joining the Atlantic League(still room for one more team):

https://ballparkdigest.com/2021/02/18/lexington-legends-join-atlantic-league/

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Well I guess I was wrong. If the Atlantic League adds West Virginia as well that should help. I think if the league adds Lowell, Norwich and Vermont, then maybe they can be on par with the other MLB partner leagues (AA and Frontier League). They are looking at Hagerstown as well if they can get a new ballpark.

The Vermont Lake Monsters were sold and will become the 8th team in the FCBL (Futures Collegiate Baseball League)

Five teams left in limbo:

Florida Fire Frogs
Jackson Generals
Lancaster JetHawks
Lowell Spinners
Norwich Sea Unicorns

2 hours ago, BigEd76 said:

Florida Fire Frogs-pretty sure they are done. They have no permanent home
Jackson Generals- Got a feeling they will be gone. There are no leagues that really fit their footprint and they are fighting a ballpark lease issue
Lancaster JetHawks- Not sure if the JetHawks are a part of it but the Pecos League is looking into a team in Lancaster
Lowell Spinners- I thought they'd be a perfect fit for the Atlantic League but it seems the Atlantic is complete so I see them in the NECBL or FCBL, otherwise they are gone.
Norwich Sea Unicorns- same with Lowell

6 hours ago, BigEd76 said:

The Vermont Lake Monsters were sold and will become the 8th team in the FCBL (Futures Collegiate Baseball League)

Chris English - owner of the Future Collegiate Baseball League's Brockton Rox - is purchasing the Lake Monsters. That explains the team joining the FCBL. Travel-wise, it might have made more sense for the Lake Monsters to join the New England Collegiate Baseball League. While inter-divisional NECBL trips to the likes of Martha's Vineyard, Newport, Ocean State, and Mystic would have been a slog for a team based in Burlington, several of the league's clubs - Vermont, Upper Valley, Winnipesaukee, North Adams, and Keene - would have been closer than the Lock Monsters' nearest FCBL rivals. As likely divisional rivals, they'd have made up the bulk of the Lake Monsters' schedule.

It's going to be interesting to see how this shakes out. 

Jackson posted a thank you on their Facebook page to various city entities for helping with a burst water main (I assume weather related). In response to some comments, the team said they have plans to play professional baseball this year but had no firm news to announce yet. Honestly not sure what league they could even join at this point, regardless of their issues with the mayor.

On 2/25/2021 at 1:58 PM, BigEd76 said:

Florida Fire Frogs
Jackson Generals
Lancaster JetHawks
Lowell Spinners
Norwich Sea Unicorns

Florida was essentially homeless after 2019, I would suspect they’re folded.

Jackson is a maybe for Atlantic League as the Atlantic is trying to get to 12 teams.  Lexington and WV made it an even 8.

Lancaster seems isolated and out of the loop.

Norwich and Lowell seem to be a nice add for The Atlantic in 2022...

MLB centralizes MiLB's merchandising as part of the takeover, and the price of a 5950 from the Beloit Snappers immediately jumps from $32 to $38. Mmmm, that's a great scalable business model 

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

On 2/27/2021 at 3:17 PM, YELDARBfield said:

Jackson posted a thank you on their Facebook page to various city entities for helping with a burst water main (I assume weather related). In response to some comments, the team said they have plans to play professional baseball this year but had no firm news to announce yet. Honestly not sure what league they could even join at this point, regardless of their issues with the mayor.

Jackson announced they are "donating" the Ballpark to a local college for the remainder of their home schedule. The release ended with this:

"The Generals are finalizing several additional special events for the Spring and Summer. An announcement regarding the Generals’ 2021 professional baseball schedule is still pending due to COVID-related uncertainties."

Not a clue what this could entail, of course.

Archived