NBA 2017-18: Old Faces, New Places - Rookies, Trades & FAs

kimball

3 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Does SLC completely lack a nightlife? I mean it's not New York, L.A., Chicago or Miami, but I'm sure there's decent restaurants and clubs. Might not be a 20 year old rookie's cup of tea, but if I'm late 20s trying to start a family, that's where I'd want to be. 

No - you can walk around downtown SLC and find bars and restaurants and have a good time; remember, U of Utah students want to have a good time too.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/12/2017 at 8:06 PM, WSU151 said:

No - you can walk around downtown SLC and find bars and restaurants and have a good time; remember, U of Utah students want to have a good time too.

I doubt millionaire pro athletes are hanging at the same kind of places that poor college kids go out to.  They're looking for private lounges or clubs where beautiful gold digging women hang out just waiting to blow them.  I highly doubt there's much of that in SLC.  

Most athletes don't wander around town bar hopping.  There's certain types of places they frequent - places where they're not going to be mobbed, places where they can drop loads of cash on overpriced cognac or champagne, and indulge in whatever else people with more money than I'll ever see get to indulge in.

I find it difficult to believe that most players would choose to play for Utah, unless it was legitimately the best basketball decision for them, and that was their priority.  I doubt basketball is the priority for a lot of players.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I doubt millionaire pro athletes are hanging at the same kind of places that poor college kids go out to.  They're looking for private lounges or clubs where beautiful gold digging women hang out just waiting to blow them.  I highly doubt there's much of that in SLC.  

Most athletes don't wander around town bar hopping.  There's certain types of places they frequent - places where they're not going to be mobbed, places where they can drop loads of cash on overpriced cognac or champagne, and indulge in whatever else people with more money than I'll ever see get to indulge in.

I find it difficult to believe that most players would choose to play for Utah, unless it was legitimately the best basketball decision for them, and that was their priority.  I doubt basketball is the priority for a lot of players.

I don't know man, I've heard some things about those mormon women...

sig.png

27 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

1) True 2) Debatable 3) I've seen quite a few athletes in bars and clubs and "mobbed" really isn't a thing...that's my experience.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Salt Lake City is 3% African-American.  The NBA is 75% African-American.  Makes complete sense that players don't want to go to a city where they would be overwhelmingly in the minority.  That's why people took the Gordon Hayward signing so hard; "if we can't even keep the whitest white guy in the league in Salt Lake City, what chance do we have of keeping anyone?"

17 minutes ago, swilson160 said:

Salt Lake City is 3% African-American.  The NBA is 75% African-American.  Makes complete sense that players don't want to go to a city where they would be overwhelmingly in the minority.  That's why people took the Gordon Hayward signing so hard; "if we can't even keep the whitest white guy in the league in Salt Lake City, what chance do we have of keeping anyone?"

Or he was their best player and had nothing to do with race

7 hours ago, swilson160 said:

The Jazz are not an all white roster (they're not even a mostly white roster). It would appear that black NBA players don't seem to view SLC racial demographics the way you do.

For the sake of conversation, here are some numbers. There are 4 NBA cities where the population percentage is majority black: Detroit (84%), Memphis (64%), New Orleans (61%) and Atlanta (54%). If you're talking about NBA cities with the largest black population in the country (regardless of minority or majority status) it goes : New York (2,228,145), Chicago (913,009), Philadelphia (686,870), Detroit (601,988), Houston (514,217), Memphis (414, 928), Los Angeles (402,448), Washington D.C (314,352), Dallas (308,807). 

I don't think Detroit, Memphis. New Orleans or Atlanta receive any extra free agent attention because of there black majority racial population percentages. The cities that have the largest black population overall also happen to be the largest populated cities in the country. I'm not convinced that a black NBA free agent would have "living around other black people" very high on his list of priorities when looking to sign, but I could totally be underestimating how important that is, but, If we're exploring the living situations of most NBA players realistically, I would be very surprised if more than 5% of players lived in neighbourhoods that were predominantly black, regardless of what team they play for. 

1 hour ago, hettinger_rl said:

No unis yet but:

#67? Such an odd number?!

He'll be the first player in 70 years to wear it. Moe Becker wore it back in 1947 with the Detroit Falcons. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived