Best decade of sports uniforms? (redux)

johnnysama

NHL - 90's - fun expansion team uniforms, advent of the third jersey, and teams went out of the box and pulled out some cool looks. 

NBA - 80's. The 90's brought sublimation and bigger shorts so more real estate to work with and designers kind of went overboard in using their new new toys. (See: Rockets, fall of 1996)

MLB - Late 60's just before pullovers. 

NFL - the NFL reached Peak Uniform in the late 80's with the single best year being 1987. http://www.gridiron-uniforms.com/GUD/1987.shtml I look at that year and every single team is wearing what I consider to be their best uniform. In 1990 the Falcons went 2 Legit, the Chargers were wearing the muted version of the late Fouts era uniforms

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Ferdinand Cesarano...interesting take on the A's 1987 change.  I've always viewed that as part of the trend back to tradition (which it was), and therefore a postive.  That's also the year the Twins made their overhaul, which, despite the modern wordmark, was traditional in its use of belts and buttons;  Other teams were going more traditional around this time, too.  I loved those 1987 A's uniforms from day 1.  I felt like the green and yellow played really nicely against the gray background of the road uniforms.  They still had that great color scheme, albeit used much more subtly.  At the time (I was 12), I was pumped to see them abandon their use of solid green and yellow pullovers in favor of something traditional.  I'd definitely provide a more positive review than "respectable and not unattractive."  However, given my age at the time, the idea of them changing their whole "rogue" persona did not occur to me.  They, along with the Pirates, had become the team that could come in with any of several combos...colorful ones at that.  In 1987, they ditched that persona.  I'd still argue that it was a good change, but you provide an angle I'd never considered.

As an aside, I loved those uniforms you show with the piping and the chest logo.  Replace the sleeve elastic with piping and I'd be content with that as their home uniform to this day.  It's not "out there" like the other things they were doing in the 1970s and early 1980s, but maybe it would have provided a hint of "the Swingin' A's."  I was thinking it was a one-year uniform...but Dressed to the Nines shows it in 1982-1984.  Each of those years shows five uniforms and in each case, this is the only one with buttons and belts. So we really never had a road counterpart to that uniform.  I wonder what that would have looked like...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• 3 weeks later...

Not a fan of those pinstriped Pacers' jerseys. It's just way too busy, if you're going to have pinstripes you can't have a sidepanel. That pinstriped Bulls's jersey look great because of that (even if that jersey didn't look too good the farther away you got from it). 

36 minutes ago, dont care said:

Only one of those jerseys is better than what they are wearing today, and today is far from the best. 

pacers are better suns are better hawks are better bulls is better. but i agree today is far from the best. 

37 minutes ago, rickyISking said:

Not a fan of those pinstriped Pacers' jerseys. It's just way too busy, if you're going to have pinstripes you can't have a sidepanel. That pinstriped Bulls's jersey look great because of that (even if that jersey didn't look too good the farther away you got from it). 

i never even notcied the difference :o i like the panels on the pacers one though. but only because the jersey is white. 

Phillies and Royals are my top two powder blue looks, too.  I liked the Expos, but not the racing stripes.  Tha Braves powder blue was nice, too.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Nah... IMHO the Phillies had the best powder blue look in baseball...

mschmidt_1980WSG5.jpg

8974151194_3806971019.jpg

Followed by the Royals and the Expos...

george-brett.jpg?quality=100&w=650

4290d49277ba96f003ed486eae538dad.jpg

Well it looks good on the Royals. Yeah you are right. The Phillies should be red, powder blue, white, and grey.

OldSchoolViking has a strong case for the 60s.

I do think there is a late 80s/early 90s sweet spot as well as baseball transitioned out of the pullovers and sansabelts and somewhere before some NBA teams lost their minds for a little bit.

19 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Nah... IMHO the Phillies had the best powder blue look in baseball...

mschmidt_1980WSG5.jpg

8974151194_3806971019.jpg

Followed by the Royals and the Expos...

george-brett.jpg?quality=100&w=650

4290d49277ba96f003ed486eae538dad.jpg

Powder blue looks right on the Royals -- and only on the Royals.  The white lettering really pops.  That was the best-ever road uniform for that team.

By contrasat, the Phillies rank up there with the Cardinals as teams in the "don't go there!" club, teams on whom powder blue was an embarassment.  That non-team colour only detracted from a great design, as can be seen from these road greys, in shots from before and after the powder blue madness.

Related image    Image result for 1992 toppps phillies

It's too bad that the Expos never had a grey road version of their classic uniforms.  Still, this road uniform...

7 hours ago, Lights Out said:

wIdRpYK.jpg

...could probably have served alongside their true home set (but the numbers would have to be in the Expos' regular font).  

But I really hated to see the home uniform with that rather unattractive "Expos" wordmark instead of the logo with the lowercase wordmark on the left breast, and the number in that elegant font on the right.  That home jersey with the cursive wordmark was entirely devoid of anything having to do with the team's aesthetic.

And the Expos' use of the racing stripe, was, like the Mets' use of it, unfit for adults.  That gaudy feature looked even worse on the Expos than it did on the Mets (which is saying something!), on account of the clash with the refined elements of the Expos' uniform.

Image result for cary carter expos is better than Image result for cary carter expos and way better than Image result for cary carter expos 1993

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived