Alternative History MLB Double Knit Era Series by Carolingian Steamroller (FINALIZED DESIGNS ALL 31)

Carolingian Steamroller

Skipping ahead to the AL West with the Houston Astros.

Out with the tequila sunrise, in with the barber pole. 

If you haven't read the excellent piece by Paul Lukas on the origin of the sunrise design take some time and read it. Essentially what I've done is to repeat the idea of large blocks of color/striping but instead of using a gradient, I've opted for a hockey-style barber pole. Specifically, I'm shamelessly borrowed from the 1951 Blackhawks. After I read the Lukas piece, I added the modern star to the center of the jersey which really brought the uniform together. I've done home and away alternate that allow for continuity with the pants as well as an experimental solid blue design. 

C&C always! Enjoy!

krR5mTo2b.thumb.png.1e4b96d49aafb109fac95af3593e61a7.png
krR5mTo3.thumb.png.97fd2c492ff1dc166d7a1e85fba50434.png
krR5mTo4.thumb.png.6fd7abe30b036d7ad96eda796d1f9eb6.png
krR5mTo5.thumb.png.e59a30d81a512cb64dfa1a70c8dd57d2.png

krR5mTo7.thumb.png.d701bab0f3dd658277b31d5ef55ef308.png

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! This is one of the most original takes on the Astros I've seen on this forum. You've definitely kept the spirit of the tequila sunrise but made it your own. I like that you simplified things by sticking with just orange and navy. 

Looking forward to the rest of the AL West! 

On 6/29/2017 at 10:02 AM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Cleveland Indians today.

For Cleveland the most glaring change is eliminating Chief Wahoo, which I think everyone is in agreement with. However, instead of using the block-C, I've opted instead for the wishbone-C that the Tribe used from the '30s through the '60s. It works great with the cursive jersey script, especially on the new white-panel home cap. The uniform stripes are based roughly on these old practice jerseys worn in Major League. I've always liked that pattern so I opted to use it here. I could decide which combination of sleeves and socks works best with the navy alternate jersey so I've posted both. 

C&C welcome! Enjoy!

Home.thumb.png.f717b5eca2224a49ae8a4322cf22ae81.png
Away2.thumb.png.19427a7167723c4ff7a74246e269d84e.png
Alternate2.thumb.png.46caa52eedbf7f2620489552b835dd97.png
Alternate.thumb.png.ca2d32e3925cd8e3fbb5d61913c3fb9c.png

As you noted this is, in fact, an unpopular opinion but I am staunchly in favor of keeping Chief Wahoo. Just wanted that on the record.

I love the stirrups. The "Indians" script always looked so much better than the block lettering. If they do get rid of Wahoo permanently (and I desperately hope they don't) I'd like to see them go back to this "C":

2271.png.b3e88977e0bc328370b515c6add1236d.png

St. Joseph of Arimathea, Pray for Us

"Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God." Mt 27:54

15 hours ago, jshmiami96 said:

As you noted this is, in fact, an unpopular opinion but I am staunchly in favor of keeping Chief Wahoo. Just wanted that on the record.

I love the stirrups. The "Indians" script always looked so much better than the block lettering. If they do get rid of Wahoo permanently (and I desperately hope they don't) I'd like to see them go back to this "C":

I'm not much of a fan of "Caveman C" for a few reasons. For starters the "Caveman" template suffers from similar issues to the Wahoo in that it associates indigenous peoples with the primitive. From a design perspective, while the Caveman design is distinct I think its too clunky and rough to look at everyday. Compare that with the Spokane Indians who actually use Salish language in the team uniforms. 

Moving onto the Swingin' A's:

A lot of what I've done here is bring a lot of the touches of the Reggie Jackson era A's and put them in a more consistent box. I've opted for the gold "A's" with the white jersey and the white "A's" for the all gold road. The trim is based on two sets of three stripes on the waistband and the sleeve and one on the collar. The sanitaries switch from gold to white on the road so there isn't an overload of gold. The alternate, worn with white pants is essentially a green version of the home jersey. 

Home.thumb.png.bada0b64dc83b828fbc5956f6d8abd1a.png
Road.thumb.png.964dca42f7d8eaa0c1f4bd67ec13a1d4.png
5984c4cac5a25_Alternate2.thumb.png.c65a079beffc2895f3c56755fbaec0a5.png

19 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I've got a funny idea for that green alt. Why don't you have the letter and back number in white, and a yellow front number? It ties in really well with the jersey and pants striping.

Looks pretty good! I shifted the "A" a little up and number a little down to help with the contrast (putting each color in a slightly different space like the Dodgers front numbers). 

Alternate 5.png

On 8/4/2017 at 10:27 AM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I'm not much of a fan of "Caveman C" for a few reasons. For starters the "Caveman" template suffers from similar issues to the Wahoo in that it associates indigenous peoples with the primitive. From a design perspective, while the Caveman design is distinct I think its too clunky and rough to look at everyday. Compare that with the Spokane Indians who actually use Salish language in the team uniforms. 

While I think this interpretation is a bridge too far for me insofar as it almost seems to be searching for a problem where there isn't one, it's your series! Keep up the good work, the designs have been great.

St. Joseph of Arimathea, Pray for Us

"Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God." Mt 27:54

I have to be honest, Houston doesn't really work for me. I don't know, the striping just doesn't completely appeal to me, and I'm not sure of what I think about the white letters on the road. Though I will admit this is certainly a unique take on the team, for sure.

Edit: Reading the article you posted, they mentioned an original version of the stripe pattern that tried to convey a right-to-left type motion of the star. Maybe that's something you could try out, though I'd personally like to see some more of the original rainbow elements incorporated.

On the other hand, I love the A's set! I think it might be my favorite thusfar (it's definitely up there), and I think I prefer the original three uniforms you posted to the alternatives. Great job!

12 hours ago, MJD7 said:

I have to be honest, Houston doesn't really work for me. I don't know, the striping just doesn't completely appeal to me, and I'm not sure of what I think about the white letters on the road. Though I will admit this is certainly a unique take on the team, for sure.

Edit: Reading the article you posted, they mentioned an original version of the stripe pattern that tried to convey a right-to-left type motion of the star. Maybe that's something you could try out, though I'd personally like to see some more of the original rainbow elements incorporated.

On the other hand, I love the A's set! I think it might be my favorite thusfar (it's definitely up there), and I think I prefer the original three uniforms you posted to the alternatives. Great job!

Yeah the Houston design is a gamble. I'll see if I can rework it a little bit. I originally had the thinner stripes as gradients but I didn't quite work for me then. Back to the drawing board!

17 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Yeah the Houston design is a gamble. I'll see if I can rework it a little bit. I originally had the thinner stripes as gradients but I didn't quite work for me then. Back to the drawing board!

In the meantime, could we see the Angels?

I went through several versions of the Angels. There's a lot of terrific takes on the Angels whether red and yellow from @SFGiants58 or blue and gold from @MJD7 or blue and red from @Victormrey. Those and others have done amazing work so it's a challenge not to just copy their terrific work. 

I really like the lower case "a" logo for the Halos (something also reflected in my Braves concept) but I decided against just going straight for the classic 70's style uniform. So instead, I opted for something that combines the current red-centric Angels with the 1972 White Sox. It's focused primarily on white and red at home with a powder blue road. I opted with metallic gold (a nod to UCLA) for the alternate jersey trim. 

Home4.thumb.png.7eced2df6f2acfedb7bd5ec609c78450.png
Away.thumb.png.e4e91b38daf7a6b3a70f472ec50d1d06.png

Alternate.thumb.png.11ff177b94928d47a9817f568dac657a.png

The Angels look great! The only thing I could really suggest (for consistency's sake) is to add some sort of outline on the home wordmark and numbers, be it gold or powder blue. That would help to make it look less like the Reds, I think. Well done!

Archived