The White Elephant Stadium Thread

raysox

Idea for this thread

Post stadiums that are currently sitting unoccupied with any sort of regular activity.

Homestead Sports Complex

large_homestead.jpghomestead1.jpg

In 1991 the City of Homestead built the Sports Complex at a price tag of 22 million dollars in order to provide a Spring Training facility for the Cleveland Indians. The stadium was widely recognized as being state-of-the-art for the time period, as it included multiple practice facilities as well as dormatories for players. The Indians had previously played in the Cactus League in Arizona but had signed a deal to make Homestead their long-term Spring Training home. Cleveland was due to begin full-time play at the stadium in the 1993 season. In 1992 they had already begun moving equipment and personnel to Florida. However, on August 24, 1992, Hurricane Andrew made landfall in Homestead as a Category 5 cyclone with winds reaching 165 mph. The stadium, directly in the path of the hurricane, was decimated. The Indians quickly began meetings with lawyers and eventually they exercised an "out clause" in the contract.

The city decided to immediately re-construct the stadium hoping that they could have it built for the 1994 Spring Training season in order for the Indians, or perhaps another team to use. However, without a spring facility for the 1993 season Cleveland was forced to look quickly for another home. The Boston Red Sox had been using Winter Haven, Florida's Chain of Lakes Park as their training facility for 26 years. However, the Red Sox were moving to Fort Myers for the 1993 season, thus allowing the Indians to use Chain of Lakes as their spring facility in the meantime. However, knowing the situation that the Indians were in, the City allowed the team to use the stadium on the condition that they sign a 10-year contract. Cleveland had no other choice, so they signed the deal and left Homestead without a team.

coopermay15.jpg.728fa498e2ae5301c1730f2617bb338b.jpgCooper Stadium, Columbus, Ohio. It was supposed to be turned into a racecar testing facility but that hasn't happened yet. Most of it's been carted away but parts of the stands were kept for the eventual racetrack.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

As someone who absolutely loves abandoned buildings, great idea for a thread.

I took some pictures of the Charlotte Knights' old stadium before they tore it down (so technically not a "white elephant"), but I think they'd fit here. I'll have to go find them.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Here's miami marine stadium. It was used for powerboat racing among other things for 30 years until Hurricane Andrew hit and it was deemed unsafe. Recently a revitalization initiative has been proposed not sure if anything has come of it though.

IMG_3700.JPG

IMG_3699.JPG

Houston Astrodome; recent shots:

Astro2.thumb.jpg.9bee8a221b572d58b3e36e55ac9778bb.jpg

exterior as of 2014.

astro3.thumb.jpg.37904816fd5cbcfda3ada58d8dd44405.jpg

They actually cleaned mold, mildew and dirt off of the exterior in 2014.

5952c039a99ab_astro1.thumb.jpg.ffad76f512e2e9777a6abad7f2fb0580.jpg

Interior view, fall of last year. Note most seats are removed.

astro4.thumb.jpg.f9f6545a6548ad705121f9023e9a8d8c.jpg

The seats were sold to whoever would buy them at about $200 a pair last year.

It is what it is.

19 minutes ago, B-Rich said:

Houston Astrodome; recent shots:

Astro2.thumb.jpg.9bee8a221b572d58b3e36e55ac9778bb.jpg

exterior as of 2014.

astro3.thumb.jpg.37904816fd5cbcfda3ada58d8dd44405.jpg

They actually cleaned mold, mildew and dirt off of the exterior in 2014.

5952c039a99ab_astro1.thumb.jpg.ffad76f512e2e9777a6abad7f2fb0580.jpg

Interior view, fall of last year. Note most seats are removed.

astro4.thumb.jpg.f9f6545a6548ad705121f9023e9a8d8c.jpg

The seats were sold to whoever would buy them at about $200 a pair last year.

I could be wrong but doesn't it cost more just to maintain that building than it would to just demolish it

22 minutes ago, dont care said:

I could be wrong but doesn't it cost more just to maintain that building than it would to just demolish it

yes but they cant, its on the National Register of Historic Places.  

so long and thanks for all the fish.

That story about Homestead is actually really depressing and unfortunate. The city did everything right, and yet Mother Nature couldn't resist inflicting its wrath on them. Sad.

Along those lines, the stadiums in Tucson got screwed over when every team training in Arizona decided to move in and around Phoenix.

Thankfully the U of Arizona baseball team decided to take over Hi Corbett Field, but the Tucson Electric Park wasn't so lucky.
 04e2ff_68a3be6304604f66a1fcbb3a2b920865.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

3 hours ago, ChicagoOakland said:

That story about Homestead is actually really depressing and unfortunate. The city did everything right, and yet Mother Nature couldn't resist inflicting its wrath on them. Sad.

Along those lines, the stadiums in Tucson got screwed over when every team training in Arizona decided to move in and around Phoenix.

Thankfully the U of Arizona baseball team decided to take over Hi Corbett Field, but the Tucson Electric Park wasn't so lucky.
 04e2ff_68a3be6304604f66a1fcbb3a2b920865.

Craziest part? As an Indians fan I was well aware of Hi Corbett Field but didn't even see it when I lived down the road. Tucson Electric Park was a nicer park but it wasn't as close to UA. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, goalieboy82 said:

they are training ground but:

Waverley Park

Related image

Hawthorn fan here!

When I studied abroad in Melbourne (and subsequently became a Hawks fan), it boggle my mind just how many teams use the MCG and Docklands as their home grounds. As much as I love the MCG, I always wondered why teams abandoned their original grounds or why more teams didn't look to spread out around Melbourne a bit.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

3 hours ago, kimball said:

jonesdome.jpg

If I had to guess, it comes down fairly soon to expand the convention center and add an adjoining arena for the Blues. 1994 is considered old now!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

29 minutes ago, ChicagoOakland said:

Hawthorn fan here!

When I studied abroad in Melbourne (and subsequently became a Hawks fan), it boggle my mind just how many teams use the MCG and Docklands as their home grounds. As much as I love the MCG, I always wondered why teams abandoned their original grounds or why more teams didn't look to spread out around Melbourne a bit.

They are neighborhood clubs, so spreading out isn't always advantageous.

VFL Park also was league owned and impacted by the neighborhood not wanting it to expand to the original touted capacity of 157,000 as well as the Victoria government followed the wishes of the owners of the MCG. Government infrastructure like roads and rail never came, forcing the higher attendance games to the MCG.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/the-157000seat-super-stadium-that-never-was/news-story/2c031a2774cc7e2353cf3857f3985723

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/the-great-mistake-of-closing-waverley/news-story/da5e8ff22e92ab63fe02fa29dc8a7e0c?sv=f92c1b987d1e1a8d2ea2e1be8cfcd3a4

Archived