Vintage Getty, SI and other NFL photos

10 hours ago, Mitch B said:

Great thread ?

While I've never been to Minnesota, to watch a late season game from old Metopolitan Stadium on TV was a great experience as a kid.  Nothing beats football in the cold, mud and snow.  ??

One of the reasons why I liked it when they played at the University of Minnesota's outdoor stadium.  They gave up a huge home field advantage when they went indoors.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, C-Squared said:

To me, this image became a lot less awesome when Gifford's brain turned to mush.

Of course. Gifford ended up missing two years, but he, the doctors, the Giants organization, and the league let him come back after that, albeit at a different position. That speaks to the lack of knowledge and foresight the entire league had at that time. It was Bednarik's fault for injuring him with a terrible clothesline tackle. It wasn't his fault for the decision to come back and be subjected to more head trauma. 

That aside, you can't dismiss the historical relevance of the photo and the story it tells. 

If anything, let it stand as a cautionary tale.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Switching gears, here is Reggie White making the great Steve Young look small. I sat on Reggie White's shoulders to shoot free throws at a charity basketball game. I was a big kid and he was by far the largest man I have ever seen in person. Both in stature and personality. 

IMG_2372.JPG

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

18 minutes ago, Korkie said:

Switching gears, here is Reggie White making the great Steve Young look small. I sat on Reggie White's shoulders to shoot free throws at a charity basketball game. I was a big kid and he was by far the largest man I have ever seen in person. Both in stature and personality. 

IMG_2372.JPG

This has to be what, late 80s, early 90s? How vintage this photo looks!

Triple extra bonus points for the matching stripes on the jerseys and pants.  If I could bring back one thing from the past to make mandatory on today's NFL uniforms, it's contrasting pants and socks with (when possible) stripes that reference another uniform element. This is the main reason the Bears and Chiefs have two of the best uniform sets in the league.  

On 7/1/2017 at 8:38 PM, Gothamite said:

:censored: ing gorgeous.  

Why the Rams don't just adopt this uniform is beyond me. 

They're so close with the Color Rush jersey...but still so far.  And bummer about the sleeve stripes on modern jerseys.  I was happy when they brought back the facsimile of these in 1994.

On 7/1/2017 at 7:45 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

2015-12-22_23-47-13.jpg The

Even though those helmets are red (scarlet?), the Niners look good here as well with the original shadow jersey.  What a nice looking matchup.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived