Jump to content

Vintage Getty, SI and other NFL photos


Recommended Posts

On 6/30/2017 at 5:31 PM, Mitch B said:

Great thread ?

 

While I've never been to Minnesota, to watch a late season game from old Metopolitan Stadium on TV was a great experience as a kid.  Nothing beats football in the cold, mud and snow.  ??

 

On 6/30/2017 at 8:02 PM, MCM0313 said:

...especially when you're warm and cozy inside. I don't know if that's schadenfreude there or just a creature comfort, but there's something cool (no pun intended) about watching a cold game from a warm house.

Nah - you can't beat sitting in the stands in weather like that.  There's a saying on a sporting goods store near my house - There's no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.  From my personal files:
 

Brothers.jpg

LambeauBeer.jpg

SnowGame.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

 

61,000 people there.   40% of the seats empty.

Maybe I'm underestimating the attention the NFL, and sports in general got in 1960's but getting 61k to a game that isn't the olympics is pretty impressive for that time. Maybe I'm wrong

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, dont care said:

Maybe I'm underestimating the attention the NFL, and sports in general got in 1960's but getting 61k to a game that isn't the olympics is pretty impressive for that time. Maybe I'm wrong

Eight years earlier the World Series drew 93,000 in the same stadium. Granted, that involved an LA team, but that SB crowd must've been disappointing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, it was disappointing at the time.  The Rams were averaging just under 70,000 in that very stadium for their regular season games.  And in the last game of the 1966 season, the Rams and Packers played in that same stadium before 72,000 fans.

 

Wasn't a terribly auspicious beginning for the new league's championship match.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/1/2017 at 7:07 AM, C-Squared said:

 

To me, this image became a lot less awesome when Gifford's brain turned to mush.

No rational person enjoys seeing photos of an injured player, but I respect the skill of the photographer capturing the inherent violence of pro football. It's unfortunate Gifford had brain issues related to football at the very end of his life, but the sport provided him with fame, fortune, and by all accounts, happiness. Gifford was able to parlay his playing career into a long time successful broadcasting career. Like many former players, Gifford would likely do it all again if given the choice. As I've said before, football is a voluntarily activity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/1/2017 at 10:53 PM, Korkie said:

Switching gears, here is Reggie White making the great Steve Young look small. I sat on Reggie White's shoulders to shoot free throws at a charity basketball game. I was a big kid and he was by far the largest man I have ever seen in person. Both in stature and personality. 

IMG_2372.JPG

I met Reggie in 1994 at a free instructional football camp. (Ironically I never played tackle, though I have played a lot of flag and touch.) He was a really friendly, good-natured guy. I was so sad when I heard of his premature death 10 years later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

spacer.png

 

Found this beauty on an LSU website (that's Y.A. Tittle, no 14, upside down). 

1956 game, I'm assuming at Kezar; interesting for several things:

  • 49ers in scarlet helmets: no one had a center helmet stripe except the player right behind the referee. 
  • Browns all have a center stripe, but this was before they added the brown stripes flanking the center white one on the helmet. 
  • First action pic I've seen of the "shadow-drop" 49er jerseys that were later used as the throwbacks. 
  • EVERYBODY'S SOCK AND SLEEVE STRIPES MATCH!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2017 at 9:56 PM, Gold Pinstripes said:

No rational person enjoys seeing photos of an injured player, but I respect the skill of the photographer capturing the inherent violence of pro football. It's unfortunate Gifford had brain issues related to football at the very end of his life, but the sport provided him with fame, fortune, and by all accounts, happiness. Gifford was able to parlay his playing career into a long time successful broadcasting career. Like many former players, Gifford would likely do it all again if given the choice. As I've said before, football is a voluntarily activity.

 

Not in the absence of informed consent, it isn’t. 

 

Many former players tell us they would not have played the game, if they knew then what we’re just starting to learn now.  Others now prohibit their kids from playing.  Would Gifford be in either one of those categories?  I don’t know.  And neither do you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/21/2017 at 3:05 PM, Gothamite said:

Yes, it was disappointing at the time.  The Rams were averaging just under 70,000 in that very stadium for their regular season games.  And in the last game of the 1966 season, the Rams and Packers played in that same stadium before 72,000 fans.

 

Wasn't a terribly auspicious beginning for the new league's championship match.

Both networks were also televising the game. Even then there were people who would rather listen to their guy on NBC or CBS rather than go to the game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Gothamite said:

 

Not in the absence of informed consent, it isn’t. 

 

Many former players tell us they would not have played the game, if they knew then what we’re just starting to learn now.  Others now prohibit their kids from playing.  Would Gifford be in either one of those categories?  I don’t know.  And neither do you. 

 

On 9/14/2017 at 12:45 AM, DouglasQuaid said:

I was looking at some photos and this picture caught my eye. Man I would love if the vikings brought theses back (just add a purple face-mask).

view-of-the-minnesota-vikings-football-t

Looking at this picture reminds me of an old college coach that said if you took the facemasks off, players wouldn't be as likely to use their head as much. I don't think that would fix concussions because you can still get one falling in your house but it could have sped up the Heads Up Football training that some teams try to preach now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.