B-Rich

Vintage Getty, SI and other NFL photos

I’d tend to agree. 

We need less armor on the heads, to make the game safer. 

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I’d tend to agree. 

We need less armor on the heads, to make the game safer. 

While I see the logic, the learning curve would be brutal.

The answer seems pretty simple - announce the rule change will be added in five years.  By that point, most of the players currently in the league will be retired, and colleges can start instructing new students as they come in.

I know the NFL is deathly afraid of making rules changes, but they should be more afraid of not changing the rules. 

Old nfl uniforms are just the best, like they capture some aesthetic Atleast for me, that no other uniforms capture, especially the 60s and 70s. Maybe the best type of uniforms to ever exist. That and early 20th century baseball.

On 6/27/2017 at 11:08 AM, leopard88 said:

One other observation . . . 

Hidden behind the line of scrimmage, just to the left of Giants No. 23, is Pete Gogolak kicking the ball.  He was the first soccer style kicker in pro football.  Jan Stenerud would have joined him in the pro ranks by this point, as he was a rookie with the Chiefs in 1967.

Gogolak broke into Professional football with the Buffalo Bills in the AFL. He was their kicker for both their 1964 and 1965 AFL Championship Season.

In 1965 he was 28 of 46 (60.9%), second in the AFL behind Gino Capelletti of the Patriots.

60.9% wouldn't keep you on an NFL Roster today for more than 3 weeks.

The WORST percentage in the league in 2018 was 65% by Chris Boswell of the Steelers and he was a 92% kicker just one year earlier.

On 8/8/2017 at 1:23 AM, mmejia said:

IMG_7806.JPG

Was this the picture of your Little League team before heading off to Dairy Queen to celebrate their Under 10 Championship?

1 hour ago, MC Buffalo said:

Gogolak broke into Professional football with the Buffalo Bills in the AFL. He was their kicker for both their 1964 and 1965 AFL Championship Season.

In 1965 he was 28 of 46 (60.9%), second in the AFL behind Gino Capelletti of the Patriots.

60.9% wouldn't keep you on an NFL Roster today for more than 3 weeks.

The WORST percentage in the league in 2018 was 65% by Chris Boswell of the Steelers and he was a 92% kicker just one year earlier.

Steve Myhra, who tied "The Greatest Game Ever Played" (i.e., the 1958 NFL Championship Game) only made 40% of his field goals in 1958 (4 for 10 . . . as in 10 attempts in the whole 12 game season).  Plenty of Colts have said they were nervous as hell before the kick, which was only a 20 yarder.  His long for the season was 28 yards.

The next year was even worse.  6 for 17 for a 35.3% conversion rate . . . but he did hit a 47 yarder and went 50 for 51 on PATs.

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS FGA FGM FGA FGM FGA FGM FGA FGM FGA FGM FGA FGM Lng FG% XPA XPM XP% Pnt Yds Lng Blck Y/P AV
Career       62 4 12 5 9 7 23 14 11 3 3 1 91 44 52 48.4% 189 180 95.2%      
1957 23 BAL   65 12 1                     6 4 41 66.7% 16 14 87.5%            
1958 24 BAL   65 12 3                     10 4 28 40.0% 51 48 94.1%            
1959 25 BAL   65 12                       17 6 47 35.3% 51 50 98.0%            
1960 26 BAL K 65 12   7 3 4 2 4 3 3 1 1   19 9 48 47.4% 37 35 94.6%           1
1961 27 BAL K 65 14   5 2 5 5 19 11 8 2 2 1 39 21 52 53.8% 34 33 97.1%           5

1 hour ago, MC Buffalo said:

And I believe that he was the first AFL star who was "counter-poached" by an NFL team.

I have “The Football Book” which is a book of amazing Sports Illustrated NFL photos through history. I spent countless hours looking at it. The pictures are breathe taking

Has anybody seen this? I doubt it's ever been posted on the board.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

spacer.png

Whooooaaaaa!!!!!!!!

5 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

spacer.png

They may have, I know there's a whole series of these for all of the NFL teams at that time that it's a part of. 

On 9/14/2017 at 1:45 AM, DouglasQuaid said:

I was looking at some photos and this picture caught my eye. Man I would love if the vikings brought theses back (just add a purple face-mask).

view-of-the-minnesota-vikings-football-t

O hai guyz!

spacer.png

Since everyone’s so concerned about safety, you’d think a soft muddy field would be welcomed. But anything less than a perfect field has people up in arms.

I miss the mud. Artificial turf destroys bodies

On 5/25/2019 at 2:59 AM, McGlinchey23 said:

spacer.png

Since everyone’s so concerned about safety, you’d think a soft muddy field would be welcomed. But anything less than a perfect field has people up in arms.

I miss the mud. Artificial turf destroys bodies

Mud can trap shoes and lead to broken ankles and twisted knees. At least they aren't playing on that old carpet from the 70's. Wendall Davis tearing up his ACL running on turf was the craziest injury I ever saw.

On 6/28/2017 at 11:32 AM, B-Rich said:

5953cb6ad00ef_Karras3.jpg.8957a83ea6925a8c527f10b92a4bdac1.jpg

Lions- Bengals, 1970, Tiger Stadium.  #14 is later Bengals coach Sam Wyche,  #71 is the late Alex Karras.

Sam Wyche is still alive...

spacer.png

Oh wait, you mean later and not late. 😮