EnSleeving the NBA

colinturner95

You guys are gonna hate me for this. 

So around the same time I had the idea for the Habs'ing the NHL thread, I had this idea: What if every NBA team had a home and away sleeved set of jerseys? Wouldn't want to see this play out in real life, but thanks to Nike taking over the NBA, we won't have to worry about it  :D

Anyways, just like in the NHL thread, not immediately planning on alternates, though my mood might change later on. Unlike the NHL thread, I'm just going in alphabetical order here, so kicking us off is Atlanta: 

UM91jcL.png  MRwLjCq.png

So I'm still undecided if I like the whole Red, Volt, and Black scheme for ATL. But if I have to work with it, I guess I can. Biggest changes here is the pattern is limited to the sleeves, HAWKS is now on the home jersey and the shorts are symmetrical now. 

C&C welcome, Boston will be up next!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like what you've done for the Hawks here, and I'm interested to see how this series progresses! I don't hate sleeves so much in theory, but Adidas's execution was either terrible (i.e. the Celtics' gray alternates) or non-existant (i.e. most other alternates). This is a perfect comprise of adding a couple elements without doing too much. 

18 hours ago, Silence of the Rams said:

Ensleeving. Really? That pun is so 1990s. In all seriousness though it did make me laugh

I'm always trying to have fun with my thread titles :P

Up next: Boston and Brooklyn: 

OSiaslq.png   gWKLq2N.png

Nothing too major changed for the Celtics. Beefed up the jersey stripes a little and added a sleeve logo because why not? 

WTCRE2v.png   x4kLsY7.png

If Brooklyn's white sleeved jerseys didn't have sleeves, they'd be perfect. So I used those as reference. Changed a couple things on the shorts. Got rid of the striping on the bottom hem of the shorts and used the shield instead of the basketball roundel on the stripeless side. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Here's the first of what could be considered an unorthodox design: 

c1gBNVM.png mo998pr.png 

I like the design of Charlotte's sleeveless uniforms. I love the whole set up they have, the logos, the wordmarks. The number font is kinda iffy, but doesn't detract from the overall scheme. That being said, I tried something a little different. Rather than doing vertical stripes on the arm seams, I ran the stripes toward the arm holes instead. On the right sleeve is the hexagon with the single color hornet in it. Same goes for the right side of the shorts. 

C&C welcome and hope everyone has a great 4th of July!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

DoKWaOM.png  EfdSXCl.png

A little less unorthodox with the Bulls. Much like the Celtics, didn't change a whole lot. Actually I don't think I changed anything from the normal home/away uniforms, just added sleeves

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Hornets: Very nice set. The striping used on the arms looks  nice & different from everyone else so far. 

Bulls: Not bad, but how would the octagons on the shorts work on the sleeves with numbers inside of them instead of the Bulls logo? Right now, these aren't bad.... but they do look too close to Boston. 

I feel like you could really go off the wall here if you want to, and that could be in many ways. Maybe go more soccer orientated, or use elements of the designs in different areas, such as piping. You don't need to go: Take regular jersey and add sleeves to them. Out of the 5 teams, 3 feels like that is what you've done (Hawks, Celtics & Bulls) & the Nets are just taking alternates. I'm sorry if that sounds mean of me, but it is a concept series. Go nuts. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

17 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

Hornets: Very nice set. The striping used on the arms looks  nice & different from everyone else so far. 

Bulls: Not bad, but how would the octagons on the shorts work on the sleeves with numbers inside of them instead of the Bulls logo? Right now, these aren't bad.... but they do look too close to Boston. 

I feel like you could really go off the wall here if you want to, and that could be in many ways. Maybe go more soccer orientated, or use elements of the designs in different areas, such as piping. You don't need to go: Take regular jersey and add sleeves to them. Out of the 5 teams, 3 feels like that is what you've done (Hawks, Celtics & Bulls) & the Nets are just taking alternates. I'm sorry if that sounds mean of me, but it is a concept series. Go nuts. 

d2cmLPL.png LHG2TRz.png

Never thought sleeve numbers would be an NBA thing. Also never thought sleeves would be an NBA thing. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

9xpZCWI.png NNmcwDV.png

If there was a box, we're way outside it now. So I'm probably one of the few people that actually like the Cavs black alternate jersey. I love when basketball uniforms have a logo on the front instead of a wordmark. It's just different and cool to see. So I went that route here. I took the striping from the Cavs old navy alternates and made the color blocks the main feature of the stripe. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

i actually like what you've got going in here, especially the updated Bulls. that one looks like you thought outside of the box. i think if you approach this not as "basketball jerseys with sleeves" but as "a jersey with sleeves" you'll come up with more designs in that vein. what i mean is, you probably want to lean closer to soccer kits than basketball. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

So I sat around all weekend and struggled with Dallas. They've worn basically two truly distinct uniforms since they started playing in the NBA and they've somehow avoided the sleeve trend. Coupled with designers block and I had no freaking idea what I was gonna do. Until about 10:00 last night and here's what tired me came up with: 

iy1Ki12.png  rfdJXEX.png

I like the skyline alternate for the Mavericks, but not the skyline if that makes sense. I like the chest stripe so I kept that, put the star under the point of the collar, and used a double stripe pattern on the sleeves, shorts and the sides of the t-shirts jerseys. 

Let me know what you guys think!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Moving up North to Denver: 

a3ZpQ3M.png QiIMwyE.png

Personally, I find the sleeveless version of the yellow ones to be pretty wild as they are, which is why I used them as the base of the uniforms. I extended the pattern from the chest to the sleeves so it runs the length of the shoulders to the sleeves. I used the script from the old navy alternates on the fronts and I switched back to the old font. As for the yellow being the away jersey, I figure if Nashville can do it in the NHL, then someone could do it in the NBA. 

C&C welcome on Dallas and Denver!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Archived