MLBers in Minor League rehab stints also NHLers

KDubK414

14 hours ago, Mitch B said:
16 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I don't understand why this 1983 AAA activity is not recorded on Gooden's Baseball Reference page.

I don't either.   I remember the Tides had baseball cards commemerating the '83 Championship Season and a Gooden card was included.

I have sent a note to the people at Baseball Reference asking about this.

Anyway, thanks for the correction.  All this time I had thought that Gooden never played at AAA until 1987.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

53 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Anyway, thanks for the correction.  All this time I had thought that Gooden never played at AAA until 1987.

Sure thing, if my memories are wrong i'd like to know the truth too.  The early 80's were my personal "Golden Age" of baseball.  I got to see a lot of talent come thru Virginia, a lot of which helped the NY Mets win the '86 World Series.  It was a good time to be a Mets fan in Virginia.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

2 hours ago, Mitch B said:
3 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Sure thing, if my memories are wrong i'd like to know the truth too.  The early 80's were my personal "Golden Age" of baseball.  I got to see a lot of talent come thru Virginia, a lot of which helped the NY Mets win the '86 World Series.  It was a good time to be a Mets fan in Virginia.

It's too bad that the Mets are no longer affilliated with Tidewater/Norfolk.  I think that that was one of the longest affilliations in history, dating from 1969 to 2006.  The Orioles' affilliation with Rochester is the only one that I can think of that is on that scale.

Anyway, after I sent the note to Baseball Reference asking about the lack of mention of Gooden's 1983 AAA experience, the response that I received read: "Like in MLB, minor league playoff stats don't count towards regular season stats".  

I pointed out that a player's Major League stats page on Baseball Reference has a separate section for his post-season stats.  However, there is no equivalent section for post-season stats on the minor league page. Therefore, if the minor league stat pages exclude post-season action entirely, then this will fail to account for any number of late-season promotions, and serves to render the minor league pages far from comprehensive.  I wondered if they saw that as a problem.  The answer I received to that was "No, we don't see a lack of minor league playoffs stats to be a major issue for us. It'd be great to have them, but there's not much clamoring for them".

I then suggested that it might be a good idea to include a note on the minor league stats pages to the effect that "this page does not include post-season activity".

So, there you have it, a rather unsatisfying reminder that Baseball Reference's minor league records are not complete.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

3 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

It's too bad that the Mets are no longer affilliated with Tidewater/Norfolk.  I think that that was one of the longest affilliations in history, dating from 1969 to 2006.  The Orioles' affilliation with Rochester is the only one that I can think of that is on that scale.

There have been longer ones.

- Reading-Philadelphia since 1967

- Lakeland-Detroit since 1967

- Omaha-Kansas City since 1969

- Pawtucket-Boston since 1973

- Bluefield-Baltimore, 1958-2010.

More on this, if you're curious.

• 2 weeks later...

Danny Salazar, Single-A Mahoning Valley

1C-Salazar-605x840.jpg

Corey Kluber, AA Akron

kluber_89koxn66_is5rjdh8.jpg