T-Shirt Design feedback

JQK

I like the slogan.  I like it overall any any issues expressed are nit picks.  But here we go:

• The slogan appears to be in "all caps" font typed in "Title Case."  (Am I wrong...the first letter of each word looks just a bit larger to me).  The difference in letter size is so negligible, that I'd either 1) make it more pronounced, 2) just go all caps, or 3) go either "Sentence case" or "Title Case" with lower-case letters.  Of course, only dorks like us notice such things...
  • I'd like to see some element (or elements) without the lines.  Maybe the state or the large circle.  I think the state would like great without the lines; it's got a little 3D thing going that would be enhanced.
  • The lines appear to be going from the outside of the circle to the middle, but that pattern seems to change between the "e" and the "r."  Almost looks like a finger print.

I know this is a dumb, dumb, question...and I am 99% sure I know the answer.  I'm not criticizing or accusing, but this is just an open door to my stupid question (since this board knows a lot about this).  There's nothing proprietary about states or state outlines, is there?  What about the state motto (I assume "We don't like you, either" is the official motto)?

Is the font from somewhere...looks familiar.  Reminded me of a local record store here, but looked 'em up and I was way off...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

This is sweet. I love the vintage lettering and the thin lines throughout. However, I think the lines might be a little too thin to be printed on a shirt, it seems like they may be almost invisible and not help the design like they could. I'd consider thickening them up a bit. Also, the zig-zag aztec-esque pattern in the circle doesn't really seem to fit with the theme, IMO. I think it would look better as a solid, albeit distressed shape. Lastly, the NJ outline seems like it's floating to me, you might want to move it down a bit so it's not so high up there.

spacer.png

You really think I thought that was the official state motto?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

29 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

You really think I thought that was the official state motto?

That it was prefaced with the promise of a dumb, dumb, question led me to that conclusion, yes.

As far as the design itself goes, I really like the vibe, but I feel like it could be simplified considerably. There are a lot of different patterns battling each other that could be smoothed out a tad without compromising the vintage vibe of the composition.

On 7/18/2017 at 4:28 PM, C-Squared said:

That it was prefaced with the promise of a dumb, dumb, question led me to that conclusion, yes.

I think the "dumb, dumb question" was about copyright and state outlines.  And no, the general shapes can't be protected, although individual renderings might be able to. 

A! O!

(That's my feedback.)

But, seriously, it's gorgeous.  The juxtaposition between the ornate fonts and the blunt comment is wonderful.  And the greyscale gives the whole thing great dignity and power.  Additionally, I cannot thank you enough for using the comma in the sentence; too many people would have omitted it.

The filigree effect -- if that's the right word -- is great; I think it harmonises well with the overall aesthetic.  However, it might be a little hard to reproduce in some applications (which is in keeping with what @dsaline97 said about the thin lines). But, for viewing on a screen or for printing on paper, this is almost perfect as is.  

The only minor suggestion that I would make is to alter the angle of the font's apostrophe so that it is at the same trajectory as the letters, and thereby doesn't cause such a big space between the N and the T in "don't".

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived