Jump to content

2017 NFL Season: Then there were Two


buzzcut
 Share

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, BlueSky said:

Thanks, I appreciate that. Though I found it dickish, the "NFL is your safe space" comment directed at me...

For the sake of clarity, here's the reasoning behind that.

 

You said this...

21 hours ago, BlueSky said:

I cited the examples of a couple of writers whose material I no longer read because they can't resist trying to impose their beliefs on others through their work. Ironic, because they're both liberals and that's a common complaint from that camp about conservatives. :wacko:

 

You've also gone off about "lib tactics" and whatnot. So here's the issue with all of that. You can't attack the other side and then cry victim when it's tossed back at you. You accused liberals of hypocritical behaviour, and I did the same in turn to you. A common complaint thrown at liberals these days is that they're soft, can't handle anyone questioning their world view, and need a "safe space" as a result.

You attitude about all of this seemed strikingly similar to that critique conservatives use against liberals, so I took advantage of you complaining about liberal hypocrisy to make a point that you're no better in that regard.

 

My only real contribution to this anthem debate is to say this. Protesting the government is a guaranteed right in this country. The people protesting at their place of employment had the consent of their employers. I see nothing to criticise them for. You're mad they didn't protest the "right way"? There is "right way" to protest. If their protest made you uncomfortable? Good. Protests are supposed to be uncomfortable.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

 

My only real contribution to this anthem debate is to say this. Protesting the government is a guaranteed right in this country. The people protesting at their place of employment had the consent of their employers. I see nothing to criticise them for. You're mad they didn't protest the "right way"? There is "right way" to protest. If their protest made you uncomfortable? Good. Protests are supposed to be uncomfortable.

 

 

He should've done it the Cardinals Way.  Nothing is more white, subtly racist, and republican than the Cardinals Way.  RIP DK57

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

 

You're in denial, not paying attention, or just don't care if you think that's all there is to Hillary Clinton. The awful truth about politics is that most of the national candidates are terribly flawed. Good, decent people and political winners are too often very different kinds. Let's agree to disagree.

 

Do I think she'd be a great President or a good person? No.  Do I think she would at least not dance in the absolute red line do not go there zone of what is acceptable for any functioning democracy/republic (unlike Trump)?  Oh hell yes.  I paid attention.  I paid attention to this election the same way you pay attention to commercial airliners.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

For the sake of clarity, here's the reasoning behind that.

 

You said this...

 

You've also gone off about "lib tactics" and whatnot. So here's the issue with all of that. You can't attack the other side and then cry victim when it's tossed back at you. You accused liberals of hypocritical behaviour, and I did the same in turn to you. A common complaint thrown at liberals these days is that they're soft, can't handle anyone questioning their world view, and need a "safe space" as a result.

You attitude about all of this seemed strikingly similar to that critique conservatives use against liberals, so I took advantage of you complaining about liberal hypocrisy to make a point that you're no better in that regard.

 

My only real contribution to this anthem debate is to say this. Protesting the government is a guaranteed right in this country. The people protesting at their place of employment had the consent of their employers. I see nothing to criticise them for. You're mad they didn't protest the "right way"? There is "right way" to protest. If their protest made you uncomfortable? Good. Protests are supposed to be uncomfortable.

 

I've gotten to the point at which I praise the right and weep for the left when it comes to political correctness, over-sensitivity, snowflakes, and the like.  The left is daily branded as intolerant for its inability to deal with differing beliefs and philosophies.  And the right (for the most part) is losing its mind over this issue, not to mention red Starbucks cups, "happy holidays," and even the slightest digs at Trump.  The only difference is that those things offend them. And it's somehow different.  The double standard is obvious and yet somehow virtually unrecognized.  To loosely connect it to football, a lot of the fans up in arms over this call people snowflakes on a regular basis.  I guess they'd say "this is about RESPECT!"  To me it's just about the 180 on who's offended now.

 

Of course, I'll go to my grave thinking that THIS is what this is all about.  White America wants its, uh, football players, quiet.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, CS85 said:

 

Ah yes, subtle insults.  Very civil.

 

It wasn't intended as insults, only to highlight how her followers diminish her many shortcomings. At least some Republicans had the decency to distance themselves from Trump. The same is not true for Hillary. Some may argue that the 38,000 deleted emails and other assorted transgressions don't rise to the level of Trump's antics. The degree doesn't matter that much since we're talking the general idea of distancing oneself from a lack of integrity and questionable ethics.

 

32 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

For the sake of clarity, here's the reasoning behind that.

 

You said this...

 

You've also gone off about "lib tactics" and whatnot. So here's the issue with all of that. You can't attack the other side and then cry victim when it's tossed back at you. You accused liberals of hypocritical behaviour, and I did the same in turn to you. A common complaint thrown at liberals these days is that they're soft, can't handle anyone questioning their world view, and need a "safe space" as a result.

You attitude about all of this seemed strikingly similar to that critique conservatives use against liberals, so I took advantage of you complaining about liberal hypocrisy to make a point that you're no better in that regard.

 

My only real contribution to this anthem debate is to say this. Protesting the government is a guaranteed right in this country. The people protesting at their place of employment had the consent of their employers. I see nothing to criticise them for. You're mad they didn't protest the "right way"? There is "right way" to protest. If their protest made you uncomfortable? Good. Protests are supposed to be uncomfortable.

 

 

Thanks for explaining your rationale. I see where you're coming from; we're all hypocrites to some degree. I just don't agree with your conclusion. 

 

I also disagree that every player necessarily had permission, and will also point out that such permission in some cases was likely under duress, specifically the fear of the traditional and social media flamethrowers that surely would have been turned on any owner who dared insist that all their players stand.  

 

25 minutes ago, rams80 said:

 

Do I think she'd be a great President or a good person? No.  Do I think she would at least not dance in the absolute red line do not go there zone of what is acceptable for any functioning democracy/republic (unlike Trump)?  Oh hell yes.  I paid attention.  I paid attention to this election the same way you pay attention to commercial airliners.

 

That's a fair point, and the part of me that hoped the gravity of the office would change Trump for the better has been sorely disappointed. My original point had to do with every Trump voter being painted with a broad brush. It obviously goes against one of the nation's founding principles, and I would never advocate it outside of this humorous context, but I think a lot of the names on a list of everyone who voted for Trump would shock a whole lot of people. 

 

Speaking of shock, I will never forget the consternation and disbelief amongst the mainstream media on election night. I don't mean that in terms of reveling in their misery, just that it's so rare to see real emotion out of talking heads. The enormity of the surprise and distress was such that they couldn't hide it. That was remarkable.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Of course, I'll go to my grave thinking that THIS is what this is all about.  White America wants its, uh, football players, quiet.

 

The larger point is that white people don't want to lose their status and privilege.  That's where it'll start and that's where it'll end.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, rams80 said:

 

Do I think she'd be a great President or a good person? No.  Do I think she would at least not dance in the absolute red line do not go there zone of what is acceptable for any functioning democracy/republic (unlike Trump)?  Oh hell yes.  I paid attention.  I paid attention to this election the same way you pay attention to commercial airliners.

The Democratic Party arrogantly put her in there because it was "her turn."  They ignored 25 years of her being one of the most hated people in America and assumed she'd win because "Obama."  But Obama won because of his personality and relative lack of skeletons in his closet, not because he was a Democrat.  That said, she was qualified and serious and there was nothing there to warrant literally electing a Twitter troll president.  And the left sat back and said "he can't win."  And they're still saying it.  At this point, the smart money's on him being re-elected.  And this football thing is going to give him a huge boost.  There's no critical thought on this issue and no room for nuance in America.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Of course, I'll go to my grave thinking that THIS is what this is all about.  White America wants its, uh, football players, quiet.

 

I love the subsequent "my bad" -- "I was frustrated and angry at the Steelers not standing [for] the anthem."

 

If that's how you respond to anger and frustration, some counseling may be in order.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, leopard88 said:

 

I love the subsequent "my bad" -- "I was frustrated and angry at the Steelers not standing [for] the anthem."

 

If that's how you respond to anger and frustration, some counseling may be in order.

I look forward to the accusations of "political correctness" toward the detractors...from people boycotting the NFL because a lot of the players think differently.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

That's a fair point, and the part of me that hoped the gravity of the office would change Trump for the better has been sorely disappointed. My original point had to do with every Trump voter being painted with a broad brush. It obviously goes against one of the nation's founding principles, and I would never advocate it outside of this humorous context, but I think a lot of the names on a list of everyone who voted for Trump would shock a whole lot of people. 

 

Speaking of shock, I will never forget the consternation and disbelief amongst the mainstream media on election night. I don't mean that in terms of reveling in their misery, just that it's so rare to see real emotion out of talking heads. The enormity of the surprise and distress was such that they couldn't hide it. That was remarkable.

 

 

Part of me hoped that Andy Dalton would rescue his franchise, but it turns out my hope is not enough to overturn hard evidence to the contrary in that case, either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The problem is that even if the office grounded him and he stopped with the early morning twitter rants and the race baiting, he'd still be just a guy that doesn't really know anything and is too lazy to educate himself, which doesn't exactly make for a great President.

 

I will add this little piece... as a veteran, I don't consider kneeling for the anthem to be the least bit disrespectful. What I find disrespectful is the notion that someone peacefully protesting injustice should have their right to do so silenced.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ninersdd said:

I think Trevathan tried to kill Davonte Adams there.

 

Blatantly dirty hit.  Disgusting.  Guy should've been ejected.  Will no doubt be suspended.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Admiral said it best last year....one waits years and years and years and years and years and years to be able to attend a Packers game at Lambeau Field, and once your number comes up, it's a Thursday night game with the home team's wearing all white.  That's gotta be a kick to the balls.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.