2017 NFL Season: Then there were Two

buzzcut

1 hour ago, Cosmic said:

While that's true for this season, I think of this 0-16 as a lifetime achievement award for these expansion Browns.

It's a different 0-16 than the Lions' variety. While that Lions team was a bit more of an isolated case, these Browns have been in free fall the past few years. It's the culmination of about 20 years worth of mediocre-to-terrible football. 

Would contraction be an option, with the old Browns' records going back to the Ravens? I know that eliminating a franchise won't happen, but it's a legitimate idea given the state of the Browns.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

It's a different 0-16 than the Lions' variety. While that Lions team was a bit more of an isolated case, these Browns have been in free fall the past few years. It's the culmination of about 20 years worth of mediocre-to-terrible football. 

Would contraction be an option, with the old Browns' records going back to the Ravens? I know that eliminating a franchise won't happen, but it's a legitimate idea given the state of the Browns.

The 2017 Browns are the end result of constantly blowing up the front office and coaching staff every few seasons. Fans clamored and cheered for each new coach. Only to demand they be fired after the first bad season.

The problem is after Crennel (who was here FOUR SEASONS), we had Mangini (2 seasons), Palmer (2 seasons), Chudzinski (1 season), Pettine (2 seasons), and now Jackson (2 seasons and counting).

After Chudzinski got fired in a power struggle with a horrifically inept front office that was let go shortly thereafter, there was no hope of finding a decent coach out there who would take the job. Pettine was a HIGH SCHOOL COACH primarily. He coached like a high school coach. But, he was at least serviceable. But, he needed to stay. Everyone WANTED Jackson when we hired him. No. It just snowballed the problem further. 1-15, 0-16. What's next? Negative wins for the year?

13 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Uh....trust the process?

That's definitely fair, and the league effectively did step in and stop the process, but the "process" was never intended to go on forever, whereas with the Browns, there's no end to this in site, and they can't even say that their 1-31 over the past two seasons was to develop players and earn top draft choices, because they've squandered those with no clear plan in site (again, there's some comparisons to the process there, but it's a little different when you only need to land 2 great players vs a football team with a 53 man roster.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 minute ago, BringBackTheVet said:

That's definitely fair, and the league effectively did step in and stop the process, but the "process" was never intended to go on forever, whereas with the Browns, there's no end to this in site, and they can't even say that their 1-31 over the past two seasons was to develop players and earn top draft choices, because they've squandered those with no clear plan in site (again, there's some comparisons to the process there, but it's a little different when you only need to land 2 great players vs a football team with a 53 man roster.)

Though NBA roster construction is radically different than the NFL, there is one golden position: quarterback. Passing on Wentz and Watson is completely inexcusable and the Browns deserve the misery they get.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

In 2005, the Browns went 6-10.  Two teams worse than them were New Orleans and Green Bay.  Now a dozen years later, both New Orleans and Green Bay have turned themselves around, especially New Orleans, who went from "almost the San Antonio Saints with Aaron Brooks" to the Toast of the town with Drew Brees.  Now, Green Bay hasn't been great this year, but at least the Packer fans know that there is hope for next year, especially with Rodgers 100%.

2 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Though NBA roster construction is radically different than the NFL, there is one golden position: quarterback. Passing on Wentz and Watson is completely inexcusable and the Browns deserve the misery they get.

Was Garappolo (sp?) widely considered to be a franchise QB, or is it reasonable for teams to pass on him thinking he was another Flynn?  IF the former, then that's another blunder for the Browns since they could easily have done better than SF's #2.

Not only did they pass on Wentz, but they actually said on record that they didn't evaluate him to ever be a top 20 QB.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Was Garappolo (sp?) widely considered to be a franchise QB, or is it reasonable for teams to pass on him thinking he was another Flynn?  IF the former, then that's another blunder for the Browns since they could easily have done better than SF's #2.

Not only did they pass on Wentz, but they actually said on record that they didn't evaluate him to ever be a top 20 QB.

I think 49ers Jimmy GQ (hate the nickname but it's at least short) is more a product of Tom Brady finishing school than anything else. Though he did pass for 53 TDs as a senior at Eastern Illinois and Belichick is a genius.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

These Bills after that Peterman game and that Bengals win. Holy :censored:.

It took the worst AFC season in about forever, but I'll take it. The Bills in the playoffs! I wonder if Tyrod starts?

Holy :censored:....the Bills actually :censored:ing did it. :jawdrop:

Despite that dumbass Peterson debacle.  

They're going to get feasted on by the Jaguars, but still, good for Buffalo. 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

They're in baby! Titans clench the wild card!

Not a pretty season, in fact quite ugly this last month or so, but they got the win when their destiny was in their hands and won when it mattered most. When it's basically the first time I can say that in a decade, you bet I'm glad to take it. If it didn't sound silly since it's a multi-million dollar pro sports club I have no direct control or influence over, I'd say I'm pretty proud of them.

The Chiefs are beatable, I believe it's not impossible for the Titans, but that'd be more icing on the icing on the cake and I'm just glad they're in. Just hope they come out for a decent showing win or lose.

Jags win the division, but the Titans sweep them in the season, and the Bills make the postseason. Are we sure it's not 1999?

ICXC NIKA

Archived