Phillies embracing old logo and wordmark

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, the admiral said:

It is broken. Red pinstripes look pink. Burgundy and white/grey would be a great color scheme for the Phils -- no powder blue.

If they switched to the woven zig zag stripes like the Yankees use then they wouldn't look pink. Do that and go with raglan sleeves and then we're talking. 

As for retro gear being more popular, of course it is.  If they switched, then the current gear would eventually become more popular and people would be having the exact same discussion about it. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2017 at 12:05 PM, ScubaSteve said:

Thanks for the kind words! It's frustrating because people are literally being nearly beaten to death at sporting events on the West Coast, but every time we have a nationally-televised game the announcers always have a good chuckle at how 40 years ago some drunk fans threw snowballs at santa. Can't wait until the Xmas game this year....<_<

I think what you saw was a combination of the recent throwback series, along with a love for those designs. A lot of people in the area prefer the previous looks of the Phillies and (moreso) the Eagles so that merch tends to still sell very well.

Ehhh, l have a lot of family in Philly, they're pricks!!!! But the do rock a lot of old school Schmidt and Cunningham jerseys?!

On 7/25/2017 at 11:16 AM, OnWis97 said:

That's a good point.  I think it's probably because that powder blue road look provided a unique and attractive color scheme.  But you are right that the cars and the memorabilia are, technically, homages to the road uniform, not that era.  And I suppose young fans (or maybe fans of any age) who don't happen to be dorks like us probably don't realize this at all.

Powder blue is alive and well in St. Louis. 

On 7/25/2017 at 11:41 AM, McCarthy said:

I don't get why the Phillies don't wear that color scheme and exist as the only burgundy team in major league baseball and choose, instead, to be just another red-hatted club. 

I've always referred to the current Phillies home uniform color with the pinstripes as 'Candy Apple Red', not Burgundy.

I can't stand their look in pinstripes either.  I like when they wear their retro 1948 uniforms at home.  Those are damn sharp.

Archived