Premier Rugby: Kansas City Mules

jmoe12

tenor.gif?itemid=8291749

It's been too long, but I've hit a ride of inspiration and will try to chip away at as much of this project as possible while I can. In addition to some new teams, I'll probably go back and update some of my old designs.

St. Louis Monarchs

Founded in 1898 as the St. Louis Rugby Club, the team changed its name to Monarchs in 1904 to honor the Apotheosis of St. Louis Statue built to go along with the World's Fair. The next decade the Monarchs became the first true Premier Rugby dynasty, taking 4 Schroeder Cups in 5 years from 1910-14. After this dominant span, St. Louis has been one of the top teams in the ARA, totaling 14 championships. However, they have not hoisted a Cup since 1970 and haven't won the ARA in 1980.

In the 21st century, the Monarchs have been competitive every season, finishing above .500 15 of 18 years. But in that span they've won the West division only once, and fell in heartbreaking fashion in the ARA Title game. After a third place finish that saw them just 4 points out of a return to the playoffs, the Monarchs splashed in free agency to sign Alderon Timmons, a dynamic fullback who should shore up the defense and help them build towards contention.

YUSyDDD.png

The primary logo was developed in the 1980s and then updated in the early 2000s, featuring a caricature of the statue from which the team derived its name. The Crown logo, formerly the primary, has been relegated to the secondary. The kits are simple and relatively timeless, with the only unique feature being the striping from the St. Louis flag on the socks.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keeping things in Missouri

Kansas City Mules

Missouri has proved an excellent rugby market, and as the 60s came both the USRU and ARA made pushes to land a team in Kansas City. Ultimately the ARA managed to secure the bid, meaning the federation now owned a rivalry that soon became one of the most heated in American sports. Saint Louis won a title just two years after the Mules were founded, but since then the Monarchs have failed to capture a title. Kansas City made a few playoff appearances in the 20th century, but waited for the new millennia to capture the Schroeder Cup, as Dante Arnzamos and co captured two titles in three years.

Since the 2002 championship, the Mules have made the playoffs just once, but have been in fierce competition nearly every year. A title challenge will be increasingly difficult after the departure of Peter Baylor in the offseason, but even without the star wing the Mules should be talented enough to contend. Joining them in the playoff race will be their bitter in-state rivals, meaning the Show-Me State Derby will be heated as ever the two times the sides clash this season.

AGb2f5h.png

Not too many frills in this identity, as the Mules took a more rugged approach to their uniforms. The primary logo is a Mule's head, and the secondary is an interlocking KC stylized to look like a horseshoe. Kits feature a yoke both home and away, with grey never touching the white. Grey primaries are utilized both for their uniqueness in the league as well as ensuring both they and St. Louis can wear primary kits whenever they clash. 

1 minute ago, Matthew24 said:

I love the logo and color of the team. Great job! I can't remember, is there a team in Texas?

Not one, not two, but three!! Texas has taken to rugby in this timeline just as much as it loves American football in reality. I posted Dallas on page 2, and the other two should be coming sooner or later, honestly I have no idea what order the teams will be coming in.

2 minutes ago, jmoe12 said:

Not one, not two, but three!! Texas has taken to rugby in this timeline just as much as it loves American football in reality. I posted Dallas on page 2, and the other two should be coming sooner or later, honestly I have no idea what order the teams will be coming in.

Oh yea, forgot about Dallas. I do see why Texas loves rugby, it just as rough as American football here in RL. I think one team is Houston but i kinda wish East Texas would have a professional team. I doubt it since San Antonio would be the 3 rugby team in Texas due to San Antonio is bigger then Tyler or Longview (where i live now).

Still though great job on the series.

My Alternative History Sports Stories:

CFL-USA - A Different Telling/StL Americans TL

Archived