Football and CTE

dfwabel

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/19/2018 at 9:07 AM, Gold Pinstripes said:

The latest research indicates age 12 is the minimum to start playing youth football, so many children can still derive the numerous benefits of playing the sport. The reality is, thousands of children have been helped by participating in youth football, even if we exclude those who went on to play in college. Single family households are a huge problem in our society, and having these coaches serve as male role models is actually quite important for these kids. Many of these children are from poor backgrounds, and heading in the wrong direction in life. 

Of course, we're not going to see any research proving brain damage in adults who did play youth football before age 12 because it doesn't fit the lazy narrative. Like high school, college, and pro football, tackle football is still a positive force in our society.

Your standard youth football coach is probably closer to this.  Is THIS the male role model you are speaking of.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Wind ensemble, jazz ensemble, theatre, and forensics for me! I was discouraged from joining cross-country because of my flat feet. :(

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Jazz ensemble, my friend.  And marching band on top of that.  Not for the faint of heart.  :D 

Well, except for the fat kid who always got picked to play the tuba.  His heart was usually faint by the start of the third quarter at football games.

nav-logo.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2018 at 6:01 PM, Ice_Cap said:

I see no reason why, say, basketball or baseball can't accomplish the same thing. Hell, table tennis would accomplish the same thing!

Last time I checked, we didn't live in the old Soviet Union, where people didn't have the freedom to excel in the sport of their choice. It's laughable to suggest the overwhelming number of football lineman could transition to another sport. It's also hilarious to compare the physical price football players pay with the performing arts. And the scores of successful people crediting the life lessens of football continue to grow. Congratulations to Madonna University in Michigan for starting a football program, the sport continues to thrive at the smaller levels, and grow internationally. 

And this dumb assumption anybody who plays football will suffer brain damage took another hit recently, facts are inconvenient hit recently. The University of Buffalo conducted a study of former Bills and Sabres players, and discovered their brains were just as healthy as athletes from non-contact sports.  

1 hour ago, Gold Pinstripes said:

Last time I checked, we didn't live in the old Soviet Union, where people didn't have the freedom to excel in the sport of their choice. It's laughable to suggest the overwhelming number of football lineman could transition to another sport. It's also hilarious to compare the physical price football players pay with the performing arts. And the scores of successful people crediting the life lessens of football continue to grow. Congratulations to Madonna University in Michigan for starting a football program, the sport continues to thrive at the smaller levels, and grow internationally. 

"Other sports can teach valuable life lessons as well," being met with comparisons to a communist dictatorship is such a massive leap in logic I'm worried that the CTE got to you. 

1 hour ago, Red Wolf said:

"Other sports can teach valuable life lessons as well," being met with comparisons to a communist dictatorship is such a massive leap in logic I'm worried that the CTE got to you. 

Don’t you know? This is ‘Murica where anything not FOOTBALL is a commie plot out to undermine freedom and apple pie.

6 hours ago, Gold Pinstripes said:

Last time I checked, we didn't live in the old Soviet Union, where people didn't have the freedom to excel in the sport of their choice.

Funny that you mention them

helmet.jpg

VAiZyDO2jqg-604x400.jpg

5 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

I can assure you my brain is functioning quite well. But the notion football players should try and switch to another sport is moronic. Other team sports just don't have the same level of training, or under the same conditions. There's a world of difference between training and playing in an air conditioned arena, and baseball players don't have wear the same equipment.

There's no good reason why any healthy player should be diverted from football, it's a non-starter. And another inconvenient fact is the recent study showing girls high school soccer has a higher concussion rate than high school football.    

8 hours ago, Gold Pinstripes said:

And this dumb assumption anybody who plays football will suffer brain damage took another hit recently, facts are inconvenient hit recently. The University of Buffalo conducted a study of former Bills and Sabres players, and discovered their brains were just as healthy as athletes from non-contact sports.  

They didn't find early onset dementia, which is being used as a leading indicator for CTE. They weren't directly testing for CTE. It doesn't mean CTE was all made up, but it might mean football and hockey don't automatically fry your brain. I'm not going to play the odds with my kids.

Also, it's the University AT Buffalo!

Edit: You can read about it here: http://www.buffalo.edu/news/releases/2018/08/006.html

3 hours ago, Gold Pinstripes said:

I can assure you my brain is functioning quite well. But the notion football players should try and switch to another sport is moronic. Other team sports just don't have the same level of training, or under the same conditions. There's a world of difference between training and playing in an air conditioned arena, and baseball players don't have wear the same equipment.

There's no good reason why any healthy player should be diverted from football, it's a non-starter. And another inconvenient fact is the recent study showing girls high school soccer has a higher concussion rate than high school football.    

Good to know. Now remember Cosmic's comment on the university name.

Oh and while UB had their press release this week, the L.A. Times reports this:

In the 18 months since the settlement went into effect, 113 Parkinson’s and 42 ALS claims were filed by former players or their representatives. Of those, 81 Parkinson’s and 30 ALS claims worth a combined $146.5 million either have been paid or approved.

Those figures dwarf projections made in a report commissioned by the players’ lawyers, which estimated that 14 Parkinson’s and 18 ALS claims worth a combined $52.6 million would be paid over the 65-year duration of the settlement. A report commissioned by the NFL predicted 31 paid ALS claims over the settlement’s lifespan; it did not provide specific numbers for Parkinson’s.

In 2012, epidemiologists from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention examined death certificates from a group of 3,439 NFL retirees who played at least five seasons in the league from 1959 to 1988. The study found that while former players were three times more likely to die from brain diseases such as Alzheimer’s than similar men in the U.S. population, their risk of dying from Parkinson’s was “elevated but did not reach statistical significance.”

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-nfl-medical-payouts-20180808-story.html

If football builds so much "character", are these guys and their families lying to get cash?

Archived