International Football 2017-2018

AnPheitseog

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Future generations will look back on this era of football and wonder why we bothered with Messi vs. Ronaldo instead of just enjoying the greatness we get to witness week in, week out. 

spacer.png

18 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

Future generations will look back on this era of football and wonder why we bothered with Messi vs. Ronaldo instead of just enjoying the greatness we get to witness week in, week out. 

Because UEFA and FIFA force feed us those two instead of acknowledging that football is played across the rest of Europe. These are also the same idiots who tabbed a college player for women's player of the year while leaving Sam Kerr out. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Champions League Quarterfinals Draw:

Real Madrid v. Juventus 

Liverpool v. Man City 

Barcelona v. Roma 

Bayern Munich v. Sevilla

spacer.png

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/copa-america/2018/3/16/17130484/usa-usmnt-copa-america-2019-brazil

USA and Mexico probable for Copa America next year. Costa Rica would probably be the third CONCACAF team. As far as Asian teams, Qatar is in the mix. I almost laughed my head off at that one. Unless they are doing an expedited naturalization process whomever shows up in Brazil wouldn't be at the opening kickoff in 2022. With gold Cup starting right after I think we should send the top players to Copa and have the B team, U-20 guys play in Gold Cup. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 2 weeks later...

Goodness gracious, Liverpool. For as good as City have been, their trips to Anfield make me wonder what would happen if the Prem implemented an NFL style playoff at the end of the season. City has been magnificent, but Liverpool seems to have their number, and I'd be hard-pressed to bet against the Reds in a head to head.

2 hours ago, jmoe12 said:

Goodness gracious, Liverpool. For as good as City have been, their trips to Anfield make me wonder what would happen if the Prem implemented an NFL style playoff at the end of the season. City has been magnificent, but Liverpool seems to have their number, and I'd be hard-pressed to bet against the Reds in a head to head.

City's lineup seemed to be built with a focus on Saturday insteadof today. I know Aguero is hurt, but Sterling and Bernardo Silva should have been starting today, Gundogan should have been on the bench. I'm sure their bus getting pelted didn't help either, but you still had to go out and play. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

First half today was about as good of a half as I've seen Liverpool play since I've been a fan.  City never got a foothold in the game and Liverpool were at their absolute flying best.  While they were obviously tired from the nonstop pressing in the first half, the fact that they still held firm and got a clean sheet in the second is just as impressive to me.  I've seen the Rodgers-era Liverpool and even the early Klopp-era Liverpool.  Neither of those teams would have turned in a performance like that tonight.

Also, how about Oxlade-Chamberlain? Certainly seems like an indictment on Wenger that Klopp has tapped into the Ox's potential in 7 months whereas Arsene couldn't get to it in 7 years.

spacer.png

Watching the Arsenal-CSKA Moscow Europa League QF first leg, and the announcer keeps pronouncing "CSKA" like a word, like "cizzka". I get that would be a lot more efficient for a play-by-play guy than saying "Cee Ess Kay Ay" every time, but I've never heard that before. Is this new?

1 hour ago, officeglenn said:

Watching the Arsenal-CSKA Moscow Europa League QF first leg, and the announcer keeps pronouncing "CSKA" like a word, like "cizzka". I get that would be a lot more efficient for a play-by-play guy than saying "Cee Ess Kay Ay" every time, but I've never heard that before. Is this new?

No. It always depends on the announcers. Some pronounce it"chess-kah".

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

17 hours ago, officeglenn said:

I think it's relatively new in English, but I believe Russians pronounce CSKA like a word.

6fQjS3M.png

Scenes in Rome ... Barcelona led 4-1 on aggregate going into the second leg of their CL quarterfinal with AS Roma, but now, in the 86th minute, find themselves down 3-0 in the game and potentially going out of the competition on away goals.

5 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

Scenes in Rome ... Barcelona led 4-1 on aggregate going into the second leg of their CL quarterfinal with AS Roma, but now, in the 86th minute, find themselves down 3-0 in the game and potentially going out of the competition on away goals.

I feel like Fergie time might get applied here. And Liverpool is beating Manchester City like they stole something. Pep has not been making the right calls all week and this makes me happy, but also sad because it means Liverpool can still go for title number 6. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

ALLEZ ALLEZ ALLEZ

I'd have taken any result in the circumstances, but to beat City 5-1 on aggregate is insane.  Imagine Anfield during the semi finals.  The whole city of Liverpool might will shut down

spacer.png

Archived