Guest darkpiranha

Agreed.  Wow!  This was quite an undertaking.  I won't criticize the outside-the-box nature of many of your designs, because that's what I think the Concept forum is for, trying out fun, crazy designs.  Some of them, while definitely WAY outside the box, are still interesting because instead of just wondering "what would an entire uniform of scales look like?" you went ahead and actually created it and presented it, for all to see, for better or worse.  There are a few unexpectedly interesting designs in there among them, where if you'd just described it to me, I'd have said that there's no way that would look good.  

But I will agree with those here who say that there is a lot of sloppiness in these, and lots of them look very rushed.  If you're actually interested in building your graphic design skill set, go back through these and take a second pass at them, incorporating the feedback you've been given.  Don't feel you have to change your design aesthetic, just keep doing you.  But a little cleanup and tweaking and patience on many of these will result in much stronger, intentional designs.  

On 8/11/2017 at 7:36 AM, panthers_2012 said:

Wow... These are something. I'll agree with some people, they do look rushed. Just take your time and your concepts will get better. Also, Clemson is purple and orange, not orange and black. 

Used an old computer and it messed up some of the colors. For example navy on a lot of team looks black and the purple I used for Clemson looks like black. 

It's impressive that you managed to do all the concepts first before posting them. Many people would post them one at a time, or a conference at a time.

Unfortunately, it's a lot to take in at one, and it's clear by looking at all of them at the same time, there are many reasons why this does not work in your favor.

1. You used the exact same Nike football template for all teams. So every team has the contrasting color thread at the bottom of the collar. This makes it look like a "fill in the blank" style, which comes across as lazy.

2. You arbitrarily placed things across the uniforms, without compensating for seams — those thin lines that cut across the jerseys and pants. Except for some numbers, no logos or lettering would cut across the seam of a jersey. You have logos that take up most of the width of the pants leg, and you also have put some letters split across the jersey, the cuff, and the undershirt. That totally looks like a bad cut-and-paste job. Take your time and check out other concepts and real game photos to see how jersey decorations are set up compared with their panels and seams.

3. Many of your uniforms have patterns and striping that not only don't fit the template you've chosen (due to the seam thing), they're illegible, and in many cases illegal by rule. (shameless plug) I'm a football official. By rule, you can't have a jersey that's half white and another color across the chest. And due to some of the patterns you've chosen, you can't read the numbers. We also have no idea how these would look on the back side, but I imagine the same legibility and seam issues would follow.

4. You definitely tried to think outside the box with a lot of your designs, but logistically, they would never work. If you decide to rework these, take your time.

5. And it's The Ohio State University, not "The Ohio State".

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

On 8/11/2017 at 3:46 PM, darkpiranha said:

Agreed.  Wow!  This was quite an undertaking.  I won't criticize the outside-the-box nature of many of your designs, because that's what I think the Concept forum is for, trying out fun, crazy designs.  Some of them, while definitely WAY outside the box, are still interesting because instead of just wondering "what would an entire uniform of scales look like?" you went ahead and actually created it and presented it, for all to see, for better or worse.  There are a few unexpectedly interesting designs in there among them, where if you'd just described it to me, I'd have said that there's no way that would look good.  

But I will agree with those here who say that there is a lot of sloppiness in these, and lots of them look very rushed.  If you're actually interested in building your graphic design skill set, go back through these and take a second pass at them, incorporating the feedback you've been given.  Don't feel you have to change your design aesthetic, just keep doing you.  But a little cleanup and tweaking and patience on many of these will result in much stronger, intentional designs.  

This comment encapsulates how I feel about these concepts. I legitimately like a lot of them, but they could be better with more focus and deliberation. 

On 8/7/2017 at 10:05 PM, 8993 said:

So, while I appreciate anybody's hard work, I am also one for honesty and constructive criticism. I think you've got a few decent uniforms here, but there are many more not so great ones. Try not to complicate looks too much. I highlighted those uniforms that I thought needed you really need to revisit, as they were terrifying, at best. Take note of those ones that you did well and try to reflect those looks a bit more in your entire series.

Additionally, for future reference, what I would recommend doing is posting a conference of uniforms first, getting feedback, and then moving forward. Posting 130 uniforms at once is overwhelming and excessive on both the reader and the and on you!

The okay:

Akron

Alabama

Arkansas

West Point

Ball State

Boston College

ECU

Georgia

Indiana

Northwestern

Stanford

UMass

UTEP

Virginia

The bad:

Air Force

Auburn

Baylor

Bowling Green

BYU

Buffalo

Cincinnati

K-State

UConn

Duke

Eastern Michigan

Florida

Iowa State

Iowa

Marshall

Memphis

Miami (OH)

Notre Dame

South Carolina

Southern Mississippi

Syracuse

Texas

UCLA

VT

The ugly:

App State

Arizona State

Arizona

Arkansas State

Boise State

California

UCF

Central Michigan

Fresno State

Clemson

Coastal Carolina

Colorado State

Colorado

FAU

Charlotte

FIU

FSU

Georgia Southern

Georgia State

Georgia Tech

Hawaii

Houston

Illinois

Kansas

Kent State

Kentucky

Liberty

Louisiana Tech

Louisville

LSU

Maryland

Miami (FL)

Michigan State

Michigan

MTSU

Minnesota

Mississippi State

Missouri

Navy

Nevada

NMSU

New Mexico

NC State

UNC

North Texas

NIU

Ohio State

Ohio

Oklahoma State

Oklahoma

ODU

Ole Miss

Oregon State

Oregon

Penn State

Pitt

Purdue

Rice

Rutgers

SDSU

SJSU

SMU

South Alabama

USF

TCU

Temple

Tennessee

Texas A&M

Texas State

Texas Tech

Toledo

Troy

Tulane

Tulsa

UAB

ULL

ULM

UNLV

USC

Utah State

Utah

UTSA

Vanderbilt

Wake Forest

Washington State

Washington

WVU

WKU

WMU

Wisconsin

Wyoming

Wow. Several of my favorites were what you called "the ugly". Lol

My favorites of the bunch:

Air Force, Auburn, Central Michigan, Cincinnati, Coastal Carolina (in spite of myself), FIU (also in spite of myself), Hawai'i, Minnesota, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, SMU, Temple, Tulsa.

I really appreciate your creativity even in places where I don't like the designs you chose, though.

Archived