2017 High School Football

4_tattoos

12 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Gorman had Snoop Dogg's son a couple years ago which gave them extra attention.  There's a school in Washington that had Joe Montana's kid as well that got them extra attention when I lived there.

I thought Nick Montana went to UW, but played prep at Oaks Christian in Westlake Village with Wayne Gretzky's kid and Will Smith's eldest son.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

I thought Nick Montana went to UW, but played prep at Oaks Christian in Westlake Village with Wayne Gretzky's kid and Will Smith's eldest son.

Nick Montana finished  his college career at Tulane...

It is what it is.

Yeah, Bishop Gorman is the real deal.

The best chance to see that winning streak go down might be next week when they travel out to my neck of the woods in Orange County to take on No. 2 Mater Dei of Santa Ana (Alma mater of Matt Barkley and Matt Leinart among others.) Current QB is another USC commit and top 2019 QB, JT Daniels, who throws footballs like he's playing with cheat codes. Watching him in person is a real display. Helps when he's been armed with the receivers he had. Last year he had Osiris and Amon-Ra St. Brown (their brother is Equanimeous St. Brown at Notre Dame. Some names, huh?) Osiris is now at Stanford. Amon-Ra is a senior this year and is supposedly split between both brother's schools and, as always with any kid down here, USC.

Mater Dei might have the toughest schedule in the country with No. 5 Bishop Gorman, No. 10 Bergen Catholic (NJ) and league rival No. 3 St. John Bosco of Bellflower (CA). Not to mention possible playoff dates against No. 6 Corona Centennial or a rematch against No. 3 Bosco (which happened in last season's CIF-SS title game).

California's Week 0 kicks off tonight (some local schools played out in Hawai'i last week) and with the advent of actual state-wide playoffs (well, hand-picked North/South regional games and a State title game after that), the season now runs into December. This is after training camps opening on July 28.

First game I'm covering this season is tomorrow night as San Clemente travels through Camp Pendleton to Oceanside. San Clemente is the alma mater of Heisman favorite Sam Darnold, and Darnold's back-up, Jack Sears, won the Tritons their first CIF-SS and State titles last season and then moved on to be behind Darnold once again at USC. San Clemente is a bit of a QB factory as Travis Wilson (Utah) and Chase Rettig (Boston College) came before both Darnold and Sears. Interesting to see who steps up in that huge spot to fill.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

43 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

You might be right. I moved around a bunch around thst time so my schools might be mixed up.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

When did cross country travel become a common thing in high school ball? At least when it comes to powerhouse private schools. Been noticing it happening a lot over the last decade. Playing other schools in your region or even the same time zone is one thing, but going coast to coast seems excessive for high school.

Don't know the rules other states have, but Maryland's public school teams' out of state competition is limited to border states (Washington DC, Virginia, Delaware, Pennsylvania and West Virginia).

That's actually a lot of potential out of state opponents for Maryland public schools now that I think about it.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

2 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Snoop established residency in Las Vegas just for football.

Dang Snoop! I know there has to be some top notch private school programs in Southern California he could've easily sent his son to instead of buying a home in Vegas lol.

I've heard of IMG before. Aren't they supposed to be like the Oak Hill Academy of football?

9 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Dang Snoop! I know there has to be some top notch private school programs in Southern California he could've easily sent his son to instead of buying a home in Vegas lol.

Cordell, the son who went to Gorman,  had older brother played at Long Beach Poly, before transferring to Diamond Bar as a senior. Cordell played at Diamond Bar as a FR and SO, then when to Gorman as a JR.

55 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

When did cross country travel become a common thing in high school ball? At least when it comes to powerhouse private schools. Been noticing it happening a lot over the last decade. Playing other schools in your region or even the same time zone is one thing, but going coast to coast seems excessive for high school.

Don't know the rules other states have, but Maryland's public school teams' out of state competition is limited to border states (Washington DC, Virginia, Delaware, Pennsylvania and West Virginia).

That's actually a lot of potential out of state opponents for Maryland public schools now that I think about it.

When?  Basically 2005 as MTV followed Hoover (AL) for a season for the show, "Two-A-Days".

http://www.athleticbusiness.com/prep-football-enjoys-its-highest-profile-season-ever-on-tv.html

http://exclusive.multibriefs.com/content/high-school-football-is-going-national-but-is-that-a-good-thing/sports-fitness

Being in Southwest Washington, interstate games with Oregon schools do happen. If you're on the eastern side of the state, sometimes they'll play Idaho schools.

In fact, starting next season Hermiston (an Oregon school) will be a member of the WIAA. This is because of the incoming realignment the OSAA is going to introduce and it would put them pretty far off from their conference foes (Average of 400 miles per round trip). They'll be in the Mic-Columbia Conference, which is a duel 4A/3A league.

19 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Once ESPN found out they could get better numbers than some Group of 5 games. They also put a lot of money into high school football too. With the Army dropping out of the All Star game business after this year  it should be interesting to see who takes over that game. I'm sure NBC will still want to keep it, I'm just wondering who else might buy in on these regular season games. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

25 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Once ESPN found out they could get better numbers than some Group of 5 games. They also put a lot of money into high school football too. With the Army dropping out of the All Star game business after this year  it should be interesting to see who takes over that game. I'm sure NBC will still want to keep it, I'm just wondering who else might buy in on these regular season games. 

ESPN doesn't put as much money into it than you think.

They have a partner in Illinois-based Paragon Marketing who basically handles it all. Typically, the home team gets $2K and the road team a grand, plus enough Gatorade or other sports drink and coolers for the season.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/09/no_big_payday_for_prep_footbal.html

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/field-of-your-dreams/2010/08/paragon-marketing-what-is-sports-marketing-really.html

21 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

Being in Southwest Washington, interstate games with Oregon schools do happen. If you're on the eastern side of the state, sometimes they'll play Idaho schools.

In fact, starting next season Hermiston (an Oregon school) will be a member of the WIAA. This is because of the incoming realignment the OSAA is going to introduce and it would put them pretty far off from their conference foes (Average of 400 miles per round trip). They'll be in the Mic-Columbia Conference, which is a duel 4A/3A league.

In NW Washington, some years we would play schools from B.C. as non-conference foes.

I'm sure there's a Bishop Gorman alum watching this game right now in a rage over their alma mater wearing black and gray on national TV :lol: Looks like they didn't even bother to coordinate their uniform colors with the fans the way college teams do. Nothing but orange and blue in the stands. Hell, DeMatha looks more like the home team here tonight lol.

1 minute ago, smzimbabwe said:

In NW Washington, some years we would play schools from B.C. as non-conference foes.

So do Canadian high school teams play by American rules or CFL rules?

DeMatha hung in their with Gorman for three quarters last night. After that it was pretty much all Gorman in the fourth.

There's a couple more high school games on the ESPN's networks today.

• Tulsa Union vs Broken Arrow on ESPN at 12pm (both schools from Oklahoma)
  • Bartram Trail (FL) vs Cartersville (GA) on ESPN2 at 7:30pm
  • IMG Academy (FL) vs Chandler (AZ) on ESPNU at 10:30pm

On 8/24/2017 at 7:58 PM, 4_tattoos said:

I've heard of IMG before. Aren't they supposed to be like the Oak Hill Academy of football?

Yes, but without the possibility of state championships. They're part of why ESPN created the national championships a few years ago. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived