2017 High School Football

4_tattoos

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

Oh okay. Seems like going back to UMD would have been the logical choice, but Navy's stadium is probably cheaper to rent.

Rent wasn't disclosed but WaPo reports have the MPSSAA Director claiming it was comparable to Baltimore. In 2015, the four games in Baltimore only attracted 17,000 spectators.

The business association of Annapolis also worked with bidding.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

Rent wasn't disclosed but WaPo reports have the MPSSAA Director claiming it was comparable to Baltimore. In 2015, the four games in Baltimore only attracted 17,000 spectators.

Only 17K for all four games? Yikes! I've been to championship games at Byrd Stadium where the lower bowl was about 70-80% filled. That had to be more than 17K for a single game.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

On 10/3/2017 at 9:04 PM, dfwabel said:

That many games so quickly isn't ideal for the grass.

Ask Pittsburgh and Heinz Field, who once annually hosted all six WPIAL (district) finals and the grass was a mess for the end of the season as it's too cold to really re-sod. They've downgraded to host only four of the six, with Robert Morris hosting the two lowest classes.

PIAA just went to 6 title games last year. WPIAL has never had more than 4 games at Heinz Field. The first year they went to six, the 1A and 2A classes have more teams, so their titles are the following week.

On 10/4/2017 at 3:07 PM, MJWalker45 said:

That's why Ohio Stadium gave up the rights to Massillon and Canton in the late 90's when we jumped from 4 to 6 divisions. Ohio State has hosted the last two years while Fawcett Stadium (Hall of Fame Game Field, Tom Benson Stadium now) was rebuilt. I believe Canton/Massillon and Columbus will take turns hosting every two years.

Massillon won't be part of the hosting anymore. It's just going to be Canton's new Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium hosting. But it will rotate somewhat. Ohio Stadium didn't really want the games and Massillon had put in a good bid to take it from Ohio Stadium.

On 10/6/2017 at 1:08 PM, NDFreek said:

In Illinois the championship game has been all over the place. Lately, it's been at NIU however.

t alternates between NIU and U of Illinois. When the Big Ten moved the last week of the season back a week, it meant every other year Illinois would be hosting a college game the weekend of the titles. So, NIU hosts their season finale the alternating year. So, they just rotate between the two now.

Alabama does that with the Iron Bowl. School that doesn't host the Iron Bowl hosts the HS Super Seven.

Last year's state championship games in Maryland actually had to be pushed back a week once Navy ended up hosting their conference title game during the weekend originally scheduled for the state championships. I'm sure the MPSSAA and The Naval Academy agreed to that possibility beforehand when the games were moved to Annapolis. It gave the championship participants an extra week to prepare for the game.

My alma mater finally got a win today, improving their record to 1-5 :P

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

Last year's state championship games in Maryland actually had to be pushed back a week once Navy ended up hosting their conference title game during the weekend originally scheduled for the state championships. I'm sure the MPSSAA and The Naval Academy agreed to that possibility beforehand when the games were moved to Annapolis. It gave the championship participants an extra week to prepare for the game.

My alma mater finally got a win today, improving their record to 1-5 :P

That problem also happened in Kentucky. Twice, WKU had to host their conference title game, and it interfered with the state championship games. And now, the KHSAA games are being played in Lexington at UK.

Back in the late 90's/early 2000s, Florida's football championships were alternated between Tallahassee (FSU) and Gainesville (UF).  Sometime in the late 2000's, a move to Orlando at the Citrus Bowl was made and its been there ever since.  It was originally grass, but a few years ago because of some rainy championships turf was installed.

On 10/3/2017 at 6:05 PM, 4_tattoos said:

I assumed the Wisconsin state championship games would be played at Lambeau.

Nope, it's been Camp Randall for as long as I've known...a more central location + turf that can more easily take the beating of 7 games over two days.  Versus GB being just a tad more out of the way for the western and southern schools + grass in mid November.

Given the jv tag, I'm wondering when JV/soph/frosh games are held in other states...here in Wisconsin, many schools field freshman and sophomore teams, with the latter acting as the JV if there are too few sophs; generally, sophs play the same 9 opponents varsity does, but at opposite venues (if varsity's at home, sophs will be away), while the freshmen play 7 games, starting with varsity's week 3 opponents, at either the same venue or a practice field, depending on what facilities are at the school in question.  (Forgot to mention frosh & soph games are usually on Thursday afternoons)

I got some real fond memories of playing JV my junior year, let me tell ya.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

19 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Back in the late 90's/early 2000s, Florida's football championships were alternated between Tallahassee (FSU) and Gainesville (UF).  Sometime in the late 2000's, a move to Orlando at the Citrus Bowl was made and its been there ever since.  It was originally grass, but a few years ago because of some rainy championships turf was installed.

The games were not at a central stadium until 1989 and Daytona Beach had the title games for two years and from 93-96.

In Maryland JV games are generally played on Thursdays. Schools with lights held JV games at 6pm. Schools without lights would either started JV games around 3:00 on Thursday afternoons, or early Saturday mornings around 10am. Varsity teams without lights play Saturday afternoons between 1 and 2pm.

When I was in HS (99-2003) not too many schools in the state had freshman teams. Those that did, played their games on Wednesdays. I'm not %100 but I think MPSSAA only officially recognizes Varsity and JV athletics. "Freshman teams" may have actually been something like club teams are in college.

On 10/7/2017 at 1:56 PM, Sykotyk said:

Massillon won't be part of the hosting anymore. It's just going to be Canton's new Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium hosting. But it will rotate somewhat. Ohio Stadium didn't really want the games and Massillon had put in a good bid to take it from Ohio Stadium.

Depending on the teams playing, it may become the de facto semi-final stadium then for the northern half of the state. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 10/10/2017 at 4:55 PM, dfwabel said:

The games were not at a central stadium until 1989 and Daytona Beach had the title games for two years and from 93-96.

Weren't they at Hard Rock (or whatever it was called that year) in the late 2000s or so? I swear I remember seeing the a televised game on one of the FSN networks years ago.

Down here in Louisiana, all of the 9 state championship football games (yeah, you heard that right, 9 for a state with a pretty small population ~4 million) are in the Superdome in New Orleans. It's been the host since the early 1980's and is tied in with the Allstate Sugar Bowl now. They take place over 2 weekends in early December. Prior to the public/private split for the playoffs only (don't get me started), The 5 state championship games were all held in a single weekend (Friday, Saturday).

gYH2mW9.png

Huh...we used to have a public- private split til the mid 90s.  Can't remember where the private state championship was played though.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

26 minutes ago, Discrimihater said:

Huh...we used to have a public- private split til the mid 90s.  Can't remember where the private state championship was played though.

Until Jerry Jones talked the UIL into playing all the games at AT&T Stadium the teams playing in the game negotiated where to play the games. At least this way you can set your weekend schedule to one place instead of possibly having to pick between a game in Dallas, Houston, Lubbock, Austin or San Antonio.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

In Washington State, the semifinal round is usually done in a regional format (one site in the western half, the other in the eastern half) with the finals at the Tacoma Dome.

In each class, each district is allotted so many spots. For example, in 3A the Greater St. Helens League (Kelso's home league) has three spots open for the qualifying round. The league champion and the runner up host games and have the chance to be the two representatives for District 4 while the third place team hits the road and could snatch a bid for another district.

In Oregon, each class does things differently. Here's how it works in each class...

6A: 32 teams get in. 4 automatic bids from each league and 8 wild cards.

5A: 16 teams get in. 4 automatic bids from each league

4A: The most confusing of the bunch. 24 teams enter. Pool 'A' are the conference champions and the best ranking runner up team and they earn first round byes. The play-in round has Pool 'C' teams playing at Pool 'B' teams. What are these pools? Pool 'B' is the remaining runner up teams and the best third place team while Pool 'C' is the third place teams from the leagues and the best remaining teams.

3A: 16 teams get in. 3 leagues get 3 automatic bids while the other 3 get 2 automatic bids. This makes up 15 teams. One wildcard is given to the highest ranked team.

2A: 16 teams get in. Each league gets 2 automatic bids and there are four wildcards.

1A: 16 teams get in. 3 of the 4 'Special Districts' (If there's no league, teams are placed into these) get 4 automatic bids while Special District #4 gets only 2 bids. 2 wildcards round it out.

Indiana has six classes, for (crucially) just over 320 football-playing schools. We would've ended up at six anyway -- because Indiana has a bunch of super large high schools -- but pushing past 320 and 64 per class helped drive it. It's 32 in the largest class, X in the second-largest, and 64 in the smallest four, with "X" being the number of schools that are left (right now, 37).

Also crucially, every school makes the playoffs in Indiana. Championship games are played the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving at LOS in Indianapolis.

6fQjS3M.png

The private schools in Maryland compete in many, many different leagues. Ideally they'd all play in one league, but those alumni, traditionalists and boosters aren't budging.

Some private school teams compete in leagues with schools from other states. For example nationally ranked DeMatha. They play in the Washington Catholic Athletic Conference, which has teams in Washington, DC and Virginia. Many of Maryland's private schools near DC compete in similar leagues.

The fires in Napa and Sonoma Counties have forced the postponement of some games this weekend throughout an entire CIF section and playoffs being moved back a week.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/12/high-school-sports-ccss-largest-league-cancels-games-through-weekend/

In the Central Coast Section, the governing body for high school sports from San Francisco to King City, the executive board held an emergency conference call Thursday afternoon and voted to move the section football playoffs back a week, clearing a path for games canceled this weekend to be played Nov. 9-11.

The CCS could make such a dramatic move because there was a bye week between its section championships and the Northern California playoffs in the original schedule. The CCS playoffs will now start Nov. 17-18 and end Dec. 1-2.

“After hearing the different leagues and the tussles they were having, this seemed to be the best of all worlds here, and we have the availability to do it,” CCS commissioner Duane Morgan said. “It was a good decision.”

Before the meeting, two of the CCS’s biggest leagues — the 24-school Blossom Valley Athletic League and the 18-school Peninsula Athletic League — announced that their football games this weekend would not be played.

This is in addition to some canceled games over Labor Day due to excessive heat and the air quality from that weekend, especially in the East Bay.

Archived