The Mad Scientist's NBA

Sport

The year is 2020. The world's first trillionaire is a mad scientist who accidentally stumbled upon the cure for cancer and has exploited his secret concoction to extort money from all over the world. By basically holding the globe hostage he's able to gross more money than the sum total of all the money that had previously ever existed. He's also a huge basketball fan and made commissioner Adam Silver an offer he couldn't refuse and purchased every single NBA franchise as well as granting an expansion team to Seattle. 

The mad scientist also has very particular opinions on basketball uniforms and hired me, his favorite designer, to outfit each team in his ideal look. This is the Mad Scientist's NBA. Every team will have a home, road, and two alternate uniforms

Up first, the Phoenix Suns

Suns.thumb.png.2d42917e782e97ca71b4cc86bf97136d.png

Combined the shooting sun of the 90's uniforms, toned down the busy gradients, and lost the drop shadows, with the sunburst shorts from the old west uniforms. The font is custom, but designed to match the lettering from the KJ/Barkley years. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Milwaukee Bucks

Bucks2.thumb.png.46f065cdf3908810eed79c028a9a1936.png

EDIT: fixed city name. 

Incorporated the "Irish Rainbows" of the 80's with their current uniforms, and their classic red/green color scheme as well as a 1990's inspired alternate uniform. To match the city's germanic ancestry is a pair of new wordmarks and number font using Mattox Shuler's fantastic font called Moonshiner.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Suns look nice, but the orange alternate needs more white in it for contrast. Maybe you should make the sunbursts on the jersey and shorts white with purple outlines instead of orange with purple outlines.

As for the Bucks: you misspelled the city name. Other than that, it looks good, although the tan on the side stripes looks awkward. Also, the wordmark and numbers on the purple alternate are tough to read.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

S***! Fixing the Bucks the now. 

Pacers

Pacers.png

Did a crazy thing with the Pacers - actually used a racing element in their uniforms. Also, the alternate utilizes the speeding ball from the logo. We'll call that the "heritage" uniform or whatever. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Seattle Supersonics

Sonics2.thumb.png.f94f01baef452d924a15e1bce8d25707.png

The return of the Sonics comes with a new family of logos that emphasize aviation from which their namesake is derived, uniforms that play off the old arced stripe look from the 80's and 00's, a custom font, and a throwback to the uniforms of the mid to late 90's.

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

The Suns look nice, but the orange alternate needs more white in it for contrast. Maybe you should make the sunbursts on the jersey and shorts white with purple outlines instead of orange with purple outlines.

That's how I originally had it. 

Suns2.thumb.png.a9efc2c5d1efd2a02d44c26aa93a72ee.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Every team will have a home, road, and two alternate uniforms

Sir, I believe that is Association, icon, *stupid placeholder*, and *other stupid placeholder*

:P

i love the simplicity of the template, and it works well with the looks you've produced. I really like the simple elegance of the suns uniform especially. Excited for Dallas and Houston!

1 hour ago, Htown1141 said:

Sir, I believe that is Association, icon, *stupid placeholder*, and *other stupid placeholder*

:P

i love the simplicity of the template, and it works well with the looks you've produced. I really like the simple elegance of the suns uniform especially. Excited for Dallas and Houston!

More and more I like to work with seamless templates of my own design so I start with a blank slate and get things exactly how I like them. I feel like it allow me to be more creative when I don't have to worry about curves or the certain cut of a jersey. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Portland Trail Blazers

The Blazers have one of those rare things in sport where they have a thing that they truly own. The sash, the asymmetrical shorts, the abstract logo - it's all so striking and perfect and theirs and so for that reason I didn't do a lot that their most recent update didn't do. The only differences are the old font has been straightened and given outlines, the unnecessary and cluttering silver has been removed, and I created a white home alternate utilizing their logo as inspiration. 

Blazers.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

Oklahoma City Thunder

This is an older concept that I did about a year ago: https://www.behance.net/gallery/34876659/Oklahoma-City-Thunder

The Thunder's issues are well documented so I don't need to get into that. Went the buffalo route with a couple alternate logos and simplified the color scheme to use only 3 colors and added an orange alternate that was not part of the original presentation.

Thunder3.thumb.png.87ddeb8d24fa5bb1100bdb48b3cb3972.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

the only change i'd make to the thunder would probably be making the away "oklahoma city" letters a wee bit wider so they could be easier to read. 

image.png 

"Okay, Mr. OKC, you obviously have never been to Louisville."

Thanks for the kind words everyone. 

San Antonio Spurs

Despite their success on the court the Spurs' unis have never done it for me. I think they're overstriped and a touch on the boring side so I simplified cuff striping and gave them a shorts pattern to semi match the shape of their primary logo. The alternate is called "the Riverwalk uniforms" based on the previous alternate logo's use of Fuchsia, orange, and teal, and to add a semi-regular touch of color to a dark and drab color scheme.  

Spurs.thumb.png.ee973a431320ffcd830fc616d9c0f85d.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived