The Mad Scientist's NBA

Sport

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/19/2017 at 8:11 PM, Silence of the Rams said:

I wanna ask first but is it ok if I try to put some of these designs on 2K

Thanks for asking. You can, but I'd prefer that you kept it to teams that I've used their actual logos for and anything original of mine such as the Sonics or the Thunder you wouldn't use. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

6 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Thanks for asking. You can, but I'd prefer that you kept it to teams that I've used their actual logos for and anything original of mine such as the Sonics or the Thunder you wouldn't use. 

No problemo. I'm going to only do a few anyway. I'll let the series play out first then I'll decide which ones

Houston Rockets

Rockets.thumb.png.a0fe81de690f79b1953c919bccff9520.png

Always loved the simplicity of the championship years Rockets uniforms, but the primary logo was weak and the wordmarks had a bad case of intermingling upper and lower case letters. These are basically the 94 unis, with rocket trails and new logo. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

5 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Houston Rockets

Rockets.thumb.png.a0fe81de690f79b1953c919bccff9520.png

Always loved the simplicity of the championship years Rockets uniforms, but the primary logo was weak and the wordmarks had a bad case of intermingling upper and lower case letters. These are basically the 94 unis, with rocket trails and new logo. 

Everything about this works. Maybe try to add cohesiveness to the logo set (primary, wordmark could both have the thickness wordmark font) but other than that I am in love with this set

46 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

Flip the taper on the shorts so, in combination with the taper on the top, alludes to a honeycomb.  It will make the primaries more consistent with the secondaries.

That is what's happening. The lines move downward towards the crotch so the white or teal section forms a hexagon shape when viewed from the front or back. 

Here's a front view

Hornets2.thumb.png.ba1105a41e373a66f167e6cdf048bcaf.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

Atlanta Hawks

Hawks.thumb.png.5120944c7881b03bff97a7078a31acc4.png

Dropped the volt, anthracite (or whatever), triangle pattern and mismatching shorts and jerseys and went back to the Hawks' roots. Chose to go with a modern update to the Dominique Wilkins unis, black alternate with similarly swooping and asymmetrical, but because it's an alternate, different lines, and a 90's throwback alternate because it was ridiculous when they were wearing it 41 times a year, but as a once in a while alternate it works. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Boston Celtics

Celtics.thumb.png.a6190af272d6a90f2dc5d8c7cedfb645.png

Not a lot of changes here so not going to expound too far on what I did. In the mad scientist's world the Celtics wear the regular white unis for every single home game, no alternates allowed. The black and gold road alternates are only for special occasions. No sense in changing a classic look too much when what they have is just about perfect and historic as is. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Orlando Magic

Magic.thumb.png.1a8379b5f4879de42f0c2564a30d8307.png

If there's one basketball team who can get away with wearing pinstripes it's the Magic. Incorporated charcoal to give them a unique color in the league, a swooping stripe intended to mimic the arc of their ball logo, and a number font similar to their original uniforms. Also made black their primary road color again. If I were Nike the font would go along with some press release like "the Magic looked to their past to inform their future" when explaining the pinstripes and number font. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Magic fan believes that the Scientist is a Heat fan, therefore he gave the Magic subpar uniforms.

Anyway, I feel the charcoal is unnecessary, while the swoosh should be sublimated. I like the idea behind the wordmarks, though. It's a solid idea, but I don't think it's quite there yet.

ExJworW.png

76ers: That "76ers" wordmark is a neat idea, but IMO, the thickness of the "76" makes the wordmark too imbalanced. A thinner font for the numbers would work better with the letters while also separating them from the players' numbers. Also, I'm glad that you seem to like the Iverson-era uniforms as much as I do.

Rockets: Overall pretty nice, but I think having rocket trails on both the wordmarks and the sides of the jersey is excessive. Instead of having rocket trails on the wordmarks, maybe you should put them on the shorts to mirror the jersey stripes.

Hornets: The alternates (with a white version) should be the primaries, and one of the primaries should be an alternate instead. These could also use some armhole trim to match the collar.

Hawks: Overall pretty good, but the color scheme is too dark - this is most apparent on the nearly-unreadable black alternate. Also, like the Hornets, these need armhole trim to match the collar.

Celtics: Very nice. You didn't do much, but they don't need much.

Magic: Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me on any level. The side stripes, while interesting as an idea, are awkward in execution. The wordmarks and number font totally clash. The inclusion of charcoal in the color scheme seems redundant and doesn't really add much to the uniforms. It ends up reminding me of how the Eagles use charcoal (not very well). And like the Hornets and Hawks, they're missing armhole trim to match the collar.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived