Unique ice designs

OMMF

This was tweeted out earlier by the broadcaster of the Everett Silvertips:

I know a long time ago the Seattle Thunderbirds used to have Pepsi logos at the exterior faceoff dots.

4 hours ago, KevinTCottrell said:

A few years back there was this on the site

http://news.sportslogos.net/2013/01/09/photo-gallery-fancy-nhl-red-line-designs-for-2013/

I wouldn't mind seeing an update some day.

Frozen Faceoff is a pretty good resource for this, along with scoreboards. Uses graphics instead of photos, but still an extensive collection.

http://centerice.frozenfaceoff.net/

On 8/23/2017 at 0:35 AM, Sykotyk said:

Storm_ice_3_large.jpg

USHL teams do this regularly. Youngstown Phantoms do it for "Pink the Rink":

http://wytv.com/2015/10/22/those-affected-by-cancer-paint-rink-at-covelli-centre/

It's a nice gesture, but I'd hate to have to play on that rink. I'd imagine losing the puck would be a lot easier than a blank sheet of white ice.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

On 8/25/2017 at 3:39 PM, Matito said:

It's a nice gesture, but I'd hate to have to play on that rink. I'd imagine losing the puck would be a lot easier than a blank sheet of white ice.

It's pretty tough to watch the game as well. At least with some 'Pink the Rink' type events, they just paint the entire rink pink literally. Instead of this fan contest. But, they get a donation/fee for each fan to paint a word, phrase, etc on the ice for it. So, it raises money for charity (covers the cost of paint, as well I'm sure), and gets the fans involved.

On 8/25/2017 at 0:39 PM, Matito said:

The Kings do that but it's scheduled for after the season right before they melt the rink for the summer.

VmWIn6B.png

15 hours ago, greyraven8 said:

K-wings with the infamous McDonald's uniforms and the yellow ice:

ept_sports_nhl_experts-958306031-1265659

Holy :censored:..... well at least you shouldn't lose the puck(or did they use a frozen hamburger patty for the puck?) 

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

Said it before, I'll say it again, the blue ice was a great idea, it just needed to be a smidge less blue. All that bright white on the screen gets hard to look at. If this board didn't employ faint shades of blue, I'd never be able to endure in all the dumb arguments I refuse to let go of!

So linger on, your pale blue ice!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, insert name said:

This is new. 

IMG_6630.JPG

I like it! I generally love how teams are creating unique, but subtle, designs on the red line. This is a really good one. Glad they went with the fairly subdued and subtle shield, rather than a far more distracting Statue of Liberty shape (or something similar).

On 8/30/2017 at 5:43 PM, M4One said:

Anyone else remembers when the AHL tested out wider lines for a few games?  Been trying to look for some pictures but have come up empty.

The picture of the blue ice in Buffalo that someone posted earlier was a part of that testing.  This was during the '04-'05 Lockout, when the Rochester Americans played a couple of games in Buffalo.  If you look at the picture you can see in addition to the blue ice the lines are blue for the center line and orange for the 'blue lines'.  The lines are wider than usual as well. 

I don't know if they tried this in any other rinks besides Buffalo, I just remember because I was at one of those games.

Archived