Unique ice designs

OMMF

On 9/5/2017 at 10:19 AM, insert name said:

This is new. 

IMG_6630.JPG

It's interesting teams will have the redline go right over the normal logo, but the Rangers here (and maybe others, I dunno) split the logo to accommodate the line.  If the red line had gone right on top, the N and G would not be so readable, and the Q and U would not be so far apart.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, Echo said:

The picture of the blue ice in Buffalo that someone posted earlier was a part of that testing.  This was during the '04-'05 Lockout, when the Rochester Americans played a couple of games in Buffalo.  If you look at the picture you can see in addition to the blue ice the lines are blue for the center line and orange for the 'blue lines'.  The lines are wider than usual as well. 

I don't know if they tried this in any other rinks besides Buffalo, I just remember because I was at one of those games.

How many years did they do this for because according to this article, only the Canadian based teams tested out the wider lines in 2003-04.  https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/wider-ice-markings-will-receive-a-test-in-american-league/article774581/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

4 hours ago, M4One said:

How many years did they do this for because according to this article, only the Canadian based teams tested out the wider lines in 2003-04.  https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/wider-ice-markings-will-receive-a-test-in-american-league/article774581/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

They only did it the one year in Buffalo, and only because the Sabres didn't need the ice due to the NHL lockout that year.  Don't know what they did in any of the other AHL cities.  IIRC, the blue ice and different colored lines were an experiment proposed by the Sabres' Managing Partner at the time, Larry Quinn.  He also came up with the idea for a net with rounded goalposts that was supposed to help increase scoring.  Thankfully, that one never made it past the prototype stage.

GvJrjNs.jpg

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

Now that we have to Zapruder every zone entry, shouldn't the blue lines be narrower, not wider?

The idea at the time was that the wider lines increased the size of the offensive zone since the puck would have to go all the way across the line to be considered out, giving the attacking team an extra foot or so of O-zone room.

26 minutes ago, Echo said:

They only did it the one year in Buffalo, and only because the Sabres didn't need the ice due to the NHL lockout that year.  Don't know what they did in any of the other AHL cities.  IIRC, the blue ice and different colored lines were an experiment proposed by the Sabres' Managing Partner at the time, Larry Quinn.  He also came up with the idea for a net with rounded goalposts that was supposed to help increase scoring.  Thankfully, that one never made it past the prototype stage.

GvJrjNs.jpg

I think we're talking about different things.  You're talking about the ice and lines being different colours and I'm talking about how they were made much wider, same colour as usual.

10 minutes ago, M4One said:

I think we're talking about different things.  You're talking about the ice and lines being different colours and I'm talking about how they were made much wider, same colour as usual.

Oh, I know what you're talking about.  What I'm saying is that when they did the blue ice in Buffalo the lines were also wider than usual.  That was a part of the AHL's wide line experiment from the mid-2000's. 

1 hour ago, Echo said:

Oh, I know what you're talking about.  What I'm saying is that when they did the blue ice in Buffalo the lines were also wider than usual.  That was a part of the AHL's wide line experiment from the mid-2000's. 

Well, if you say so.  But, there doesn't seem to be anything said about wider lines here, only the ice going blue and the different coloured lines.  Honestly, from that picture posted on the first page, the lines look the same as usual, size wise.  I kinda remember the lines being double the size of the regular size.  

4 hours ago, smzimbabwe said:

turku1209vp_sm.thumb.jpg.826f94ef17a235dd1ad076fad7a0f085.jpg

Is this the future of the NHL? Stadium in Turku, Finland. I suppose it's easy when you're used to it, but wouldn't you lose sight of the puck on the ice?

No, sight of the puck would not be lost. I've played on a rink like this before, and ever after a fresh cut it's not hard to differentiate 

• 2 weeks later...

Stumbled across this one today. Harold Ballard, infamous owner of the Leafs, also owned the Hamilton Tiger-Cats for a time, and during a particularly heated part of their rivalry in 1978, had the Ticats logo painted at centre ice of Maple Leaf Gardens. It would be interesting to see if the Leafs actually played a game with it there, but it seems that the Marlboros did.

tspa_0098049f.jpg

Ballard-Cup-Article-660x587.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

On 9/26/2017 at 12:33 PM, nash61 said:

Stumbled across this one today. Harold Ballard, infamous owner of the Leafs, also owned the Hamilton Tiger-Cats for a time, and during a particularly heated part of their rivalry in 1978, had the Ticats logo painted at centre ice of Maple Leaf Gardens. It would be interesting to see if the Leafs actually played a game with it there, but it seems that the Marlboros did.

Seems like a great way to alienate two fanbases at the same time!

Archived