NLL Expansion 2018

Jer15

17 minutes ago, Mac the Knife said:

I'm betting on Halifax being expansion and the Pegulas taking over Rochester.  Of course I don't know anything, but if I had to guess the best route to take, that'd be it.

Apparently as early as about 2 weeks ago that was the plan.

But Styres wants the players currently on the Knighthawks to go to Halifax too after they almost won a championship this year. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Mac the Knife said:

That shouldn't be that big a sticking point.  Some kind of accommodation could be made.  A San Jose Sharks-like split, perhaps.

No argument from me.

Plus; at this point, it's too soon to add a team for next season so who even knows what the 2020 roster will look like? 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

5 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

Yup!

Yup, the NLL commissioner (Nick Sakiewicz) has come out and said that there is no such rule in the NLL. 

Lol, I agree but on a more serious note: this team has been around for almost 25 years. I'd hate to see it move just because the owner wants a different market and isn't willing to accept an expansion team. 

He wants to be in Halifax, they've given him an option to get there and save Rochester but, he's still not happy. Doesn't look good on MR. Styres

So move Rochester to Halifax and start Rochester anew the next season like the Browns?

I agree with @DiePerske the NLL needs a Rochester side, but I was surprised a small are held it together for so long.

4 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

No argument from me.

Plus; at this point, it's too soon to add a team for next season so who even knows what the 2020 roster will look like? 

My moneys on a mini draft.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

Some more on all this. 

http://buffalonews.com/2018/06/19/could-the-pegulas-purchase-the-rochester-knighthawks-lacrosse-team/

The quote in here says that the commissioner is not opposed to an owner having 2 teams. So I was mistaken earlier in the thread, I thought he said that there was no rule about an owner having 2 teams, apparently there is a rule but, they are willing to waive it. 

My bad.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 5:13 AM, mr.negative15 said:

Some more on all this. 

http://buffalonews.com/2018/06/19/could-the-pegulas-purchase-the-rochester-knighthawks-lacrosse-team/

The quote in here says that the commissioner is not opposed to an owner having 2 teams. So I was mistaken earlier in the thread, I thought he said that there was no rule about an owner having 2 teams, apparently there is a rule but, they are willing to waive it. 

My bad.

It's a crazy setup.

They don't want owners doubling up, but it's ok now.

How about them owning the two sides that hate each other the most.... mind blown.

5 hours ago, tigers said:

How about them owning the two sides that hate each other the most.... mind blown.

I used to have a real issue with the idea of an ownership group holding two franchises in different sports.  In learning more about the business of sports, I realize that if anything it actually makes sense to do so.

I used to have an issue with the idea of an ownership group holding two franchises in the same league.  But now I look at it much in the way I do something like MLS, UFC or a circus production - sports is an entertainment product.  The only difference is that it has a competitive element involved.  As long as there can be a separation with respect to that competitive element (i.e., team general managers having autonomy in dealing with players, making trades, etc.), there's no reason not to allow it save one:  that if that ownership group suddenly pulls out, the league has double the risk exposure to its survival or reputation.

Having Buffalo and Rochester under the same ownership umbrella could only help NLL - the Pegulas could take the rivalry on the floor to new heights, all the while raking in the bucks on both sides.

nav-logo.png

19 hours ago, Mac the Knife said:

I used to have a real issue with the idea of an ownership group holding two franchises in different sports.  In learning more about the business of sports, I realize that if anything it actually makes sense to do so.

I used to have an issue with the idea of an ownership group holding two franchises in the same league.  But now I look at it much in the way I do something like MLS, UFC or a circus production - sports is an entertainment product.  The only difference is that it has a competitive element involved.  As long as there can be a separation with respect to that competitive element (i.e., team general managers having autonomy in dealing with players, making trades, etc.), there's no reason not to allow it save one:  that if that ownership group suddenly pulls out, the league has double the risk exposure to its survival or reputation.

Having Buffalo and Rochester under the same ownership umbrella could only help NLL - the Pegulas could take the rivalry on the floor to new heights, all the while raking in the bucks on both sides.

Very true.

I am only guessing but the Pegulas must be smart people financially so this could only get better for both clubs.

Hopefully they stay in Rochester though.

• 2 months later...

So it looks like a week from today we'll officially get the Halifax announcement. 

I'm assuming that means we'll see the Pegulas take over Rochester next year and Curt Styres will get the Halifax team. Time will tell

I'm disappointed that this is the case. 

I can see this being a case where the players move to Halifax but the name/logo stays in Rochester but we will see. 

15 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

I'm disappointed that this is the case. 

I can see this being a case where the players move to Halifax but the name/logo stays in Rochester but we will see. 

Just what the NLL doesn't need, its very own Columbus Crew situation with an old-guard club playing an entire season as a lame duck.

CCSLC signature.png

There's is a lot to unpack in this article.

Also this:

Here's the bullet points:

• As expected Styres is moving his franchise to Halifax.
  • Also as expected the Pegulas are getting an expansion team in Rochester, to be called the Knighthawks and keep their history.
  • Halifax will likely be called the Privateers
  • Expect to hear that San Diego's owner (Joseph Tsai who's the majority owner of the Brooklyn Nets) will get another team in Long Island, NY
  • The NLL trademarked the Boston Shamrocks name. Expected to be linked with a team at TD Garden
  • Golden State Warriors ownership is expected to get a team to play in San Fransisco

17 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

I hope the league doesn't go to Dallas.  DFW is already an oversaturated sports market and the last thing DFW needs is yet another team that will get zero media coverage.

I don't believe it's on the radar right now. Or at least, not from what I've seen but I'm no insider, lol. 

I think the big takeaway is that it seems as if the NLL is trying to make sure they link up with the groups that own the building. 

51 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

I don't believe it's on the radar right now. Or at least, not from what I've seen but I'm no insider, lol. 

I think the big takeaway is that it seems as if the NLL is trying to make sure they link up with the groups that own the building. 

and with that, no issues with scheduling.

I think they'll (/should) focus on getting California expansion fast. Get a team in Anaheim(close enough to LA but not staples center) and maybe even San Jose.

Biggest failure of the Orlando Titans were having no teams close to them. 

Also, get Minnesota back

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

12 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

Also, get Minnesota back

Yup. 100%

And I know someone who would strongly agree with you on that ;) 

6 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

Yup. 100%

And I know someone who would strongly agree with you on that ;) 

You know, I think we have the same person in mind.

But in all seriousness, I loved the swarm in the league as Minnesota. Goergia could do so many things(including the peaches, a personal desire that I know is corny).

Arizona and Portland would be nice. I just miss those identities. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Archived