P.I.L.L.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like my monitor is warped where the ball is, or it's inside a rain drop or puddle or something.  If you're married to this concept - and you probably shouldn't be - the ball needs some kind of outline - a light one might be best - the whole way around. Also, I'd consider keeping the stitches red on both, since there's never been blue stitches on a baseball in the history of time.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It looks like my monitor is warped where the ball is, or it's inside a rain drop or puddle or something.  If you're married to this concept - and you probably shouldn't be - the ball needs some kind of outline - a light one might be best - the whole way around. Also, I'd consider keeping the stitches red on both, since there's never been blue stitches on a baseball in the history of time.

Agree with BBTV's points. The thick outline of the stitches along with the shadowing on the lower half of the ball create a warping effect on the whole ball. Personally I don't think you need the grey outline on the stitching, and do the suggestion to outline the ball instead.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

19 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

18 hours ago, logodawg said:

Agree with BBTV's points. The thick outline of the stitches along with the shadowing on the lower half of the ball create a warping effect on the whole ball. Personally I don't think you need the grey outline on the stitching, and do the suggestion to outline the ball instead.

grey outline on ball, removed stitching outlines... as for the blue stitching, its a better contrast vs vs grey or white background

There is a lot of tension in the small areas of white around where the stitches meet the letters. As shown below.

D9EFANC.png?1

And I've said it before but the way to solve the problem where the stitches are too fat for the baseball is to find a better, thinner font, or make one yourself.

tinysig.jpg

Guest darkpiranha

I know you're married to the stitching, but because of how wide they are and how they don't look like what baseball stitches on an actual baseball look like, I see tire treadmarks instead.   Going back to the more minimalist version the girl did, those look and feel a lot more like baseball stitches.  I'd try to find some sort of happy medium between these wide/thick seams, and actual-sized seams.  I understand you really like that font, but there are definitely thinner versions of that same font that would allow you to more organically do the seams like you want and still give that historic look to it.  

Right now the stitches are just too thick and close together. The distance between stitches really should be equal to or just slightly more than the thickness of the stitches themselves. 

cut.jpg

I really think if you go back use the size of stitching on your previous versions with the outline, but without the outline you would be much closer

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

updated 10/16/18 - moved stitching further apart on the ball ,widened gap between stitches (towards center of the ball) 

DC Baseball 100918 cj

looked at a bunch of stitching samples...definitely many different variety in thickness / graphic stylization.

https://www.google.com/search?q=baseball+stitching&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:CcvCMgh_1apLZIjiWLFUhzVOiHOtIMTr8Y8x5NecM89i8BzoXdSqwIgnRaCLiqsjQJU5RKwaJB-jEiPO_13KxkCn52fioSCZYsVSHNU6IcEZPTVuduYriDKhIJ60gxOvxjzHkRtsFI1lClCP8qE

14 hours ago, P.I.L.L. said:

updated 10/16/18 - moved stitching further apart on the ball ,widened gap between stitches (towards center of the ball) 

DC Baseball 100918 cj

looked at a bunch of stitching samples...definitely many different variety in thickness / graphic stylization.

https://www.google.com/search?q=baseball+stitching&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:CcvCMgh_1apLZIjiWLFUhzVOiHOtIMTr8Y8x5NecM89i8BzoXdSqwIgnRaCLiqsjQJU5RKwaJB-jEiPO_13KxkCn52fioSCZYsVSHNU6IcEZPTVuduYriDKhIJ60gxOvxjzHkRtsFI1lClCP8qE

Can’t see image

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Guest darkpiranha

Hate to be a broken record, but I don't see any appreciable difference.  On the image search you posted, all of those look and feel like what I expect baseball stitching to look like, meaning, thinner stitches.  and by thinner, I think you might be misunderstanding us because you keep only focusing on making the actual height or density of the stitches less, when we mean they are too WIDE.  For example, on your baseball, the stitches are more than 25% of the width of the baseball (stitches can only be fit side to side 3.5 times) where on a regular baseball, you can fit 7.5 stitch widths.  

2 hours ago, darkpiranha said:

Hate to be a broken record, but I don't see any appreciable difference.  On the image search you posted, all of those look and feel like what I expect baseball stitching to look like, meaning, thinner stitches.  and by thinner, I think you might be misunderstanding us because you keep only focusing on making the actual height or density of the stitches less, when we mean they are too WIDE.  For example, on your baseball, the stitches are more than 25% of the width of the baseball (stitches can only be fit side to side 3.5 times) where on a regular baseball, you can fit 7.5 stitch widths.  

Thanks DP... I hear ya...  sliiightly thinned stitches vs ball ( still keeping more of an exaggeration as the center piece of the logo) , i feel that any thinner and it loses weight / value esp. from a distance.. 2) thinned font as well, turns out the "D" column was way too thick vs the "C" , so it worked out well.  3) further  thinned thickness of the stitches themselves.. 4) added a patriotic separation of colors - symbolic of (Democrat Red vs Republican Blue)

DC Baseball

Guest darkpiranha
16 minutes ago, P.I.L.L. said:

DC Baseball

realistic stitches...slightly thinner font

Infinitely better!  What happens if you thin the font by increasing the inner stroke on the letters?  That way you can still suggest the thickness of the actual letters, but match the stitching better.

1 hour ago, darkpiranha said:

Infinitely better!  What happens if you thin the font by increasing the inner stroke on the letters?  That way you can still suggest the thickness of the actual letters, but match the stitching better.

DC Baseball

thinned font towards ball, slightly thickened outline

Guest darkpiranha
49 minutes ago, P.I.L.L. said:

DC Baseball

thinned font towards ball, slightly thickened outline

Slightly better, but it looks like you expanded the size of the stitches again.  Old version was approximately 5.5 widths, while the new one is 4.5 widths.  It's hard to explain, but the brain just instinctively knows what a baseball is supposed to look like, and when it's exaggerated too much in one direction (when the intent is realism, not caricature), it just feels like something's off. 

1 hour ago, darkpiranha said:

Slightly better, but it looks like you expanded the size of the stitches again.  Old version was approximately 5.5 widths, while the new one is 4.5 widths.  It's hard to explain, but the brain just instinctively knows what a baseball is supposed to look like, and when it's exaggerated too much in one direction (when the intent is realism, not caricature), it just feels like something's off. 

DC Baseball

Archived