Winter of Discontent: The 2017-18 NHL Season

HedleyLamarr

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

They're playing preseason games, so welcome back, hockey!

The much-maligned Vegas Golden Knights kick off their preseason with Vancouver, airing currently on the NHL Network.

A greater percentage of the continent able to watch more Golden Knights hockey than the actual people of Las Vegas.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I've never been more bummed about a Blackhawks season than this one. The roster looks like garbage. It'll be DeBrincat-Schmaltz-Kane doing fun stuff, the Toews line doing no stuff, and everyone getting scored on at every turn. And after eight years, I can't imagine a Hawks team without Hossa and Hjalmarsson (ABSOLUTE GARBAGE TRADE). Winter of our discontent is right.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Didn't Vegas resolve some of those TV viewing restrictions?

Some, but they're still not on the largest cable provider in the area.

Panthers send Jason Demers to Phoenix for Jamie McGinn because an iPad that went to West Point said to or something I dunno who the f-ck knows why the Panthers do what they do anymore

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Panthers send Jason Demers to Phoenix for Jamie McGinn because an iPad that went to West Point said to or something I dunno who the f-ck knows why the Panthers do what they do anymore

Supposedly, Dale Tallon tried to trade Demers to Vancouver to get Erik Gudbranson back, but Demers has a limited no trade and Vancouver is in Canada.

Tallon has tried to undo some of the moves done while he was kicked upstairs.

But Florida is back to Floridaing.

Online people got very desirous of the Panthers' success for a while there because they appeared to rely entirely on analytics and really give those "human beings do weird stuff sometimes" lunkheads what-for. Apparently someone in their analytics department forgot to carry a 1, because just about every move they made (and every breath they took?) left them worse off than they originally were, and the real human beings doing weird stuff were their idiot executives. The one thing they did guess right on, that Jonathan Marchessault can put up points, was undone by exposing him in the expansion draft and losing him for nothing. Army stong.

I feel worse for Dale Tallon than I thought I would. I figured he would just treat the Panthers as a retirement job and golf all day, but he's actually tried to make the team better and been jerked around a whole lot for his troubles. They'll probably half-fire him again and replace him with a dog. But not just any dog:

ArmyDog.jpg

7 hours ago, the admiral said:

Online people got very desirous of the Panthers' success for a while there because they appeared to rely entirely on analytics and really give those "human beings do weird stuff sometimes" lunkheads what-for. Apparently someone in their analytics department forgot to carry a 1, because just about every move they made (and every breath they took?) left them worse off than they originally were, and the real human beings doing weird stuff were their idiot executives. The one thing they did guess right on, that Jonathan Marchessault can put up points, was undone by exposing him in the expansion draft and losing him for nothing. Army stong.

I feel worse for Dale Tallon than I thought I would. I figured he would just treat the Panthers as a retirement job and golf all day, but he's actually tried to make the team better and been jerked around a whole lot for his troubles. They'll probably half-fire him again and replace him with a dog. But not just any dog:

ArmyDog.jpg

Casper Van Dien, what was he doing in this piece of....fine cinema.

so long and thanks for all the fish.

@goalieboy82

Making ends meet between Starship Troopers sequels.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

I've been getting very excited for hockey to be back!

Hot takes for the year:

1. Charlie Coyle has a breakout year.

Yeah sure, you think I'm biased, whatever... He had a pretty good season last year, and was flying during the preseason game in Winnipeg tonight...

2. The Golden Knights will finish better than the Kings this year.

Yeah I'd definitely take James Nealer over Kyle Clifford. I'd even take Haula over him.

Hell I'd take Alex Tuch over Dustin Brown...

3. Caps get the top Wild Card spot. After another season of disappointment, and last year's being a little bigger of a letdown than the year before, plus they lost a couple of players in the off season, so I think they'll struggle in the regular season.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

The new "points of emphasis" are always "fun" to see referees try to enforce and instill in the preseason.

Besides the uptick of slashing (including Ovechkin reportedly asking a ref "so we can't even touch the guy now?" and the ref responding "yes"), the Ducks have now been called twice for a delay of game - face-off violation. And based on the radio call, neither player called knew what the hell they were being called for.

Not only do we have the face-off violation for hand on the puck, we now have the refs calling penalties for how you line up on the face-off circle. (Skate/stick position, etc.)

On 9/18/2017 at 10:27 PM, chcarlson23 said:

Yeah I'd definitely take James Nealer over Kyle Clifford.

Why yes, I'm sure you'd gladly take arguably a team's best skater over a 4th liner.

VmWIn6B.png

8 minutes ago, the admiral said:

That's getting a little procedural on faceoffs. Can't you give them a warning first?

That's what I'd figure too, but they went with straight penalty. I guess trying to stick it in their heads.

Archived