Winter of Discontent: The 2017-18 NHL Season

HedleyLamarr

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Corvus said:

A little confused that they put Jason Garrison on waivers today. He's not that bad!

The other 30 GMs called George McPhee's bluff about hoarding 32 defensemen.

The Blackhawks are leading the league in getting outshot. We could use an upgrade at defense, such as a three-time champion with a reputation for blocking shots and taking men off the puck. I hear Phoenix has one.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The expansion Vegas Golden Knights are 8-1 to start their first season.

The expansion Washington Capitals won 8 games in their 80-game first season (74-75).

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

14 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

The expansion Vegas Golden Knights are 8-1 to start their first season.

The expansion Washington Capitals won 8 games in their 80-game first season (74-75).

And if they had actually done their best to put together a team to compete this year, I wouldn't have really batted an eye. The fact that they've done it through injuries and dumb GM moves is borderline unbelievable.

14 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I'm glad I snatched up Oscar Dansk in my fantasy league.

I'm sure they'll fall back down to earth eventually, but even if they keep a decent pace through the rest of the year, this is a wildcard playoff team.

They won't and they aren't

Better teams than this have held higher places in the standings in like, December/January and still missed the playoffs.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Speaking of Vegas, the Vadim Shipachyov affair is a delight. Comes over at age 30 to make $4.5 million a year, can't make the team out of camp, refuses to report to the AHL, plays three games, gets sent down and refuses to report to Rosemont again, and is now suspended without pay.

He's going back to Russia to make his millions tax-free against lower-quality competition and to play in the Olympics. McPhee got swindled hard.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Assuming I'm right in what's going to happen, he made a little over $2.1 million for playing in three NHL games.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Signing bonus + accumulated salary + terminated contract? He might come out a little ahead of that, a lot more if somehow they buy him out (tasty dead cap space).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On October 29, 2017 at 2:44 PM, Sodboy13 said:

Speaking of Vegas, the Vadim Shipachyov affair is a delight. Comes over at age 30 to make $4.5 million a year, can't make the team out of camp, refuses to report to the AHL, plays three games, gets sent down and refuses to report to Rosemont again, and is now suspended without pay.

He's going back to Russia to make his millions tax-free against lower-quality competition and to play in the Olympics. McPhee got swindled hard.

This summary is a little off base, as the initial demotion with Theodore was a product of those two not requiring waivers. He was granted permission to stay in Las Vegas with his family to continue workouts as he was going to be recalled as soon as possible. A paper transaction really. 

1 hour ago, twi said:

This summary is a little off base, as the initial demotion with Theodore was a product of those two not requiring waivers. He was granted permission to stay in Las Vegas with his family to continue workouts as he was going to be recalled as soon as possible. A paper transaction really. 

Thanks for the clarification, as I am unfamiliar with the finer points of NHL cap/roster management nuttiness.

Anyway, Shipachyov's officially heading back home and getting a termination/buyout, per SportsNet.

I really hope the Islanders keep playing well and the Rangers and Sabres keep struggling. Just so it makes the Rangers at Buffalo Winter Classic on Long Island look that much dumber.

With Oskar Dansk now hurt, the Knights are on their 4th-string goalie ten games into the season. Their new backup might be a 19-year-old in juniors, assuming he can swing the bus ride from Kamloops to Vancouver and then a cross-continental flight in time for tomorrow night's game at MSG. I'd sooner drum for Spinal Tap than play that net.

Archived