Winter of Discontent: The 2017-18 NHL Season

HedleyLamarr

There should be multiple Winter Classic games. Get rid of the entire Stadium Series, and make Jan. 1st a full day of hockey. The other leagues have adopted holidays as their day: NFL did it with Thanksgiving, NBA did it with Christmas, and MLB has Independence Day (and the rest of the summer). That way they can get their stupid Blackhawks game over with by noon Pacific time, and then get one or two more games in the rest of the day. It'd be a whole day to celebrate hockey!

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, The Six said:

There should be multiple Winter Classic games. Get rid of the entire Stadium Series, and make Jan. 1st a full day of hockey. The other leagues have adopted holidays as their day: NFL did it with Thanksgiving, NBA did it with Christmas, and MLB has Independence Day (and the rest of the summer). That way they can get their stupid Blackhawks game over with by noon Pacific time, and then get one or two more games in the rest of the day. It'd be a whole day to celebrate hockey!

New Years Day does have a sport claiming it, it’s college football.

Pick a weekend in February after the Super Bowl....that’s what hockey should own.

16 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

I think that a Wild-Blue Jackets WC would be cool. I think that would be a good opportunity to get the now second-newest teams some national attention outside of the streaks game last year. 

I also think a Nashville-Tampa WC in Tampa would be a huge game for southern hockey. They wanna grow the game? Put the two most popular Sunbelt teams in a Winter Classic...

I agree, but I tend to think that it least one team needs to be a bit higher-profile.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

New Years Day does have a sport claiming it, it’s college football.

Pick a weekend in February after the Super Bowl....that’s what hockey should own.

Coming in 2019...
THE NHL PRESIDENT'S DAY PUCKAPALOOZA!!!

The NHL made a half-hearted grope at claiming Black Friday a few years ago but I think the Bruins had already been having matinees that day for years. And you joke, but isn't the "Hockey Day in America" promotion around Presidents' Day weekend?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Bruins 18 point streak is officially over. 

Their first (regulation) loss since December 14. 

Seemed inevitable with losing both McAvoy & Marchand for a few weeks. 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

The Blue Jackets are a really mediocre hockey team right now. 11 straight games with fewer than 3 goals. Bobrovsky is the only thing keeping them alive in the playoff hunt. 

This happened last night 

PvO6ZWJ.png

^^

After the Wild cleared the zone, I started walking to the kitchen thinking the period would end in the neutral zone.  I was blown away when I heard the "goal."  Frustrating to then have the rug pulled out from me.

I sometimes think that hockey should be like basketball.  After time's out it still counts if untouched.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

4 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

^^

After the Wild cleared the zone, I started walking to the kitchen thinking the period would end in the neutral zone.  I was blown away when I heard the "goal."  Frustrating to then have the rug pulled out from me.

I sometimes think that hockey should be like basketball.  After time's out it still counts if untouched.

I think that'd be really hard to review. Now they just look at the goal line and the clock, but if you went with the basketball rule then now you have look at when it leaves the guy's stick, did it hit anybody else on the way in, did the goaltender get a piece of the shot, etc. I think Bob got a piece of the shot so he was the last one to touch it. If a defender tips a shot in basketball and it goes in does it still count if it goes in after the buzzer? 

PvO6ZWJ.png

It's one of those ideas that seems to be good but breaks down under scrutiny. The purest example of such is the proposal to extend regulation by the remaining amount of penalty time.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

My guy tells me they will be an active seller at the deadline.  They cant afford to be strapped with so many big contracts for long term success.

I hope he's as trustworthy as a Reddit uniform rumor. A team cannot be in the Presidents Trophy race and be a big seller at the deadline. Why even invest as a fan? Maybe one guy? Sure. But an "active seller"? It would/should poison the fanbase.

2 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I hope he's as trustworthy as a Reddit uniform rumor. A team cannot be in the Presidents Trophy race and be a big seller at the deadline. Why even invest as a fan? Maybe one guy? Sure. But an "active seller"? It would/should poison the fanbase.

See Marlins, Florida. 

8 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Yes, but this is the NHL. Where more successful practices are poorly copied. 

If they sabotage their team this year, I'm going to file an amicus curae brief against them in their trademark dispute.

(That will really show them!)

4 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Gut , I meant gut...

Archived