HedleyLamarr

Winter of Discontent: The 2017-18 NHL Season

Recommended Posts

There should be multiple Winter Classic games. Get rid of the entire Stadium Series, and make Jan. 1st a full day of hockey. The other leagues have adopted holidays as their day: NFL did it with Thanksgiving, NBA did it with Christmas, and MLB has Independence Day (and the rest of the summer). That way they can get their stupid Blackhawks game over with by noon Pacific time, and then get one or two more games in the rest of the day. It'd be a whole day to celebrate hockey!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, The Six said:

There should be multiple Winter Classic games. Get rid of the entire Stadium Series, and make Jan. 1st a full day of hockey. The other leagues have adopted holidays as their day: NFL did it with Thanksgiving, NBA did it with Christmas, and MLB has Independence Day (and the rest of the summer). That way they can get their stupid Blackhawks game over with by noon Pacific time, and then get one or two more games in the rest of the day. It'd be a whole day to celebrate hockey!

New Years Day does have a sport claiming it, it’s college football.

 

Pick a weekend in February after the Super Bowl....that’s what hockey should own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

I think that a Wild-Blue Jackets WC would be cool. I think that would be a good opportunity to get the now second-newest teams some national attention outside of the streaks game last year. 

 

I also think a Nashville-Tampa WC in Tampa would be a huge game for southern hockey. They wanna grow the game? Put the two most popular Sunbelt teams in a Winter Classic...

I agree, but I tend to think that it least one team needs to be a bit higher-profile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

New Years Day does have a sport claiming it, it’s college football.

 

Pick a weekend in February after the Super Bowl....that’s what hockey should own.

Coming in 2019...
THE NHL PRESIDENT'S DAY PUCKAPALOOZA!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NHL made a half-hearted grope at claiming Black Friday a few years ago but I think the Bruins had already been having matinees that day for years. And you joke, but isn't the "Hockey Day in America" promotion around Presidents' Day weekend?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They played Brass Bonanza at tonight's game in Carolina. Seems so wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching the Flames blow a 2-1 lead by giving up 2 stinkers and an empty-netter in the last 2 minutes to the Knights was legit infuriating. What an embarrassing way to lose. 
AiSIY9F.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bruins 18 point streak is officially over. 

Their first (regulation) loss since December 14. 

 

Seemed inevitable with losing both McAvoy & Marchand for a few weeks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Blue Jackets are a really mediocre hockey team right now. 11 straight games with fewer than 3 goals. Bobrovsky is the only thing keeping them alive in the playoff hunt. 

 

This happened last night 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^

After the Wild cleared the zone, I started walking to the kitchen thinking the period would end in the neutral zone.  I was blown away when I heard the "goal."  Frustrating to then have the rug pulled out from me.


I sometimes think that hockey should be like basketball.  After time's out it still counts if untouched.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

^^

After the Wild cleared the zone, I started walking to the kitchen thinking the period would end in the neutral zone.  I was blown away when I heard the "goal."  Frustrating to then have the rug pulled out from me.


I sometimes think that hockey should be like basketball.  After time's out it still counts if untouched.

 

I think that'd be really hard to review. Now they just look at the goal line and the clock, but if you went with the basketball rule then now you have look at when it leaves the guy's stick, did it hit anybody else on the way in, did the goaltender get a piece of the shot, etc. I think Bob got a piece of the shot so he was the last one to touch it. If a defender tips a shot in basketball and it goes in does it still count if it goes in after the buzzer? 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's one of those ideas that seems to be good but breaks down under scrutiny. The purest example of such is the proposal to extend regulation by the remaining amount of penalty time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

 

 

My gut tells me they will be an active seller at the deadline.  They cant afford to be strapped with so many big contracts for long term success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

My guy tells me they will be an active seller at the deadline.  They cant afford to be strapped with so many big contracts for long term success.

I hope he's as trustworthy as a Reddit uniform rumor. A team cannot be in the Presidents Trophy race and be a big seller at the deadline. Why even invest as a fan? Maybe one guy? Sure. But an "active seller"? It would/should poison the fanbase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I hope he's as trustworthy as a Reddit uniform rumor. A team cannot be in the Presidents Trophy race and be a big seller at the deadline. Why even invest as a fan? Maybe one guy? Sure. But an "active seller"? It would/should poison the fanbase.

See Marlins, Florida. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

See Marlins, Florida. 

At least they won the World Series before they tore everything apart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cosmic said:

At least they won the World Series before they tore everything apart.

Yes, but this is the NHL. Where more successful practices are poorly copied. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Yes, but this is the NHL. Where more successful practices are poorly copied. 

If they sabotage their team this year, I'm going to file an amicus curae brief against them in their trademark dispute.

 

(That will really show them!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I hope he's as trustworthy as a Reddit uniform rumor. A team cannot be in the Presidents Trophy race and be a big seller at the deadline. Why even invest as a fan? Maybe one guy? Sure. But an "active seller"? It would/should poison the fanbase.

Gut , I meant gut...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.