Winter of Discontent: The 2017-18 NHL Season

HedleyLamarr

9 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

Sadly, I really do believe this.

Winnipeg managed to get the Atlanta Thrashers under a Gary Bettman lead NHL, when their team had enough problems they had to relocate.

Quebec already has a new arena that's bigger. Some people around my area still bring the Nordiques return up, despite all the petty things I read about Bettman.

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, habsfan1 said:

Winnipeg managed to get the Atlanta Thrashers under a Gary Bettman lead NHL, when their team had enough problems they had to relocate.

Winnipeg had David Thomson, one of the richest men in Canada, in their corner. 

Essentially they had someone who could threaten to freeze the NHL out of the Anglo Canadian financial spehere unless the NHL played ball and let TNSE move the team. 

Quebec City has no one in their corner with that sort of reach. 

It took a lot of interesting circumstances to get Winnipeg back. If they had just requested an expansion team, they never would have gotten it. If they had tried to buy back the Coyotes, they wouldn't have gotten it. They needed a spectacular group of idiots sabotaging  their own asset with as much contempt for the NHL as possible while also having an investor who could put the league in a great deal of pain if he wanted to. The NHL got checkmated, that's all it was.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Way to go, Chicago, but everyone wants to cast racist shade on Nashville.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Kempny is a good-not-great defenseman whom some stat nerds elevate to god status because he put up good Corsi numbers last year and Joel Quenneville doesn't like to dress him. As we all know, one of the most accomplished coaches in the history of the game is an idiot with no ability to assess talent, so to be a healthy scratch for him is some weird reverse-imprimatur, I guess. Generally his game is to be inconspicuously effective and then singlehandedly cause a goal against, hence the healthy scratches; sounds like all the makings of a Crapitals playoff goat.

40 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Kempny is a good-not-great defenseman whom some stat nerds elevate to god status because he put up good Corsi numbers last year and Joel Quenneville doesn't like to dress him. As we all know, one of the most accomplished coaches in the history of the game is an idiot with no ability to assess talent, so to be a healthy scratch for him is some weird reverse-imprimatur, I guess. Generally his game is to be inconspicuously effective and then singlehandedly cause a goal against, hence the healthy scratches; sounds like all the makings of a Crapitals playoff goat.

If Kevin Shattenkirk can fold in the playoffs, Michal Kempny sure as heck can

spacer.png

General managers with great track records and universal respect who are still one Stanley Cup away from getting tiered up.

Ron Francis, Carolina Hurricanes

This hearkens back to a post I made a couple years ago about a proprietary idiocy of NHL observers, namely that they think they're smarter than not the worst GMs but the best ones. Ron Francis gets his dick sucked halfway to oblivion for someone who has NEVER MADE THE PLAYOFFS ONCE. ONCE! He's not even guaranteed to make them this year! And he's "one Stanley Cup away"? F-ck me running! And yet Stan Bowman is the fourth-worst general manager in the NHL because Jonathan Toews got old and Corey Crawford got hit in the head. Okay.

Maligned general managers that might have this thing figured out at some point, because they do have a plan.

Jim Benning, Vancouver Canucks
John Chayka, Arizona Coyotes
Joe Sakic, Colorado Avalanche

Chayka's plan is to always draft but never develop, and Benning couldn't figure out a one-piece jigsaw puzzle. Even for ESPN this analysis eats my ass.

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

Chayka's plan is to always draft but never develop, and Benning couldn't figure out a one-piece jigsaw puzzle. Even for ESPN this analysis eats my ass.

Well, I know you never had a thing for Puck Daddy, but Wyshynski is now ESPN and wrote that analysis. If that does anything one or or the other for you.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

12 hours ago, the admiral said:

This hearkens back to a post I made a couple years ago about a proprietary idiocy of NHL observers, namely that they think they're smarter than not the worst GMs but the best ones. Ron Francis gets his dick sucked halfway to oblivion for someone who has NEVER MADE THE PLAYOFFS ONCE. ONCE! He's not even guaranteed to make them this year! And he's "one Stanley Cup away"? F-ck me running! And yet Stan Bowman is the fourth-worst general manager in the NHL because Jonathan Toews got old and Corey Crawford got hit in the head. Okay.

I see Wyshinski is still calling his Puckdaddy plays now that he's with ESPN. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

In the interest of fairness, Cheveldayoff is ranked too high on his body of work as well, but

1) Everyone's been pretty hard on him for years; how many times did the Jets do little or nothing at the deadline/draft and prompt "can't spell Cheveldayoff without Day Off"? The Jets are finally coalescing into a legitimate team, but getting #2 in the lottery and taking Patrik Laine instead of a mere Tkachuk or Sergachev helped immensely, and all told, it has taken quite a bit longer than it should have; a fair bit of Blake Wheeler's career and basically all of Bryan Little's have been squandered by the organization's glacial pace

2) the Jets are probably going to win their division or finish second. The Hurricanes, who for such a masterpiece of team-building have scored 18 fewer goals than they've allowed, are probably not going to hold onto the second wild card. 

5 hours ago, tp49 said:

I love how Garth Snow got his own category in that article.  Now if he would only melt away.

#snowmustgo.

Which he doesn't really deserve. I can think of another general manager who has built his team on extremely lopsided trades and outpacing poor goaltending, whose team makes the playoffs sometimes but not perennially. That would be Jim Nill, another one of the NHL's geniuses in waiting who has never done anything more than get out of the first round once.

Archived