Winter of Discontent: The 2017-18 NHL Season

HedleyLamarr

Blue lines are fine, no need to fundamentally change the game here, just stop obsessing over a zone entry being one millimeter offside. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have wanted an NHL team in Las Vegas for years. It finally, somehow happens, and in their first season, they break 100 points, make the playoffs, and most likely win their division.

Life is kinda cool sometimes.

53Ocz8U.png

6 hours ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

I have wanted an NHL team in Las Vegas for years. It finally, somehow happens, and in their first season, they break 100 points, make the playoffs, and most likely win their division.

Life is kinda cool sometimes.

With, essentially, a band of misfits. I'm an NHL fan with above-average-knowledge and I could name probably 3 guys on their team if I thought about it long enough. With the Habs out of it, I gotta say I'm pulling for them. 

sig.png

The Knights got very talented players that were kinda hidden in the league. A few stars, but overall just solid players, and they were able to hire a very good coach, because the Panthers seemed to think that agreeing on how to win was more important than actually winning... They also have had amazing goaltending all year. We'll see how the playoffs treat the knights. I feel like they'll struggle a little bit. They'd currently be playing the Kings, who have been playing well, but we'll see how the final standings play out. 

Also, as the standings currently sit, if any team should be worried about being upset, it's the Bolts... They lost to the Coyotes last night, and have struggled over the last few games. Their first-round matchup as of now is the New Jersey Devils, who they've gone 0-2-1 against this year.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Bruins still have 2 games to play against Tampa, and with that loss to Arizona, could tie Tampa for points if Bruins win against Winnipeg tonight. East is turning out to be very interesting. 

As for the Knights, Once they established themselves as a competitive team, their true test is the playoffs. Are they going to be the team that can carry that dominance into the postseason? or will they be one of those teams that just disappears in the playoffs? 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

4 minutes ago, Wings said:

SCF: Preds over Bruins

Yeah Rinne should have no trouble going four rounds deep two years in a row, no problem at all.

54 minutes ago, the admiral said:

That the Golden Knights turned out to be this good is an embarrassment to the NHL.

"A team of misfits and castoffs has made the playoffs in their first year" They're only misfits and castoffs because the league engineered it that way. Most teams wanted to keep the players they had to expose. The Blue Jackets would've gladly held onto William Karlsson if they weren't made to get rid of him (while also being forced to strike a deal to keep Josh Anderson). It's not like they cut him and kicked him in the ass on his way out the door. 

I can't get on board the "isn't this a great story?" train. No. It looks really bush league when one team is just handed a playoff roster thanks to the most generous expansion draft in league history and it says a lot about the management of the other teams and what it actually takes to be good at this sport that a collection of players cobbled together can put together a season like this.

And forget all of that - I had to watch 9 goddamn years of the :censored:tiest hockey imaginable to see my team not suck long enough to make the playoffs. That's irksome just on its face. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Look how long it took the Jets to fashion a healthy organization out of the remains of the Atlanta Thrashers: eight damn years, not counting the year Pababib of all people willed them into eighth place and got swept.  To say nothing of Las Vegas, their road to respectability has been even rougher than the expansion teams that came in on bad terms.

And forget about the generous terms of their expansion for a second: a great deal of their success -- not all of it, but a healthy portion for sure -- is because Florida Panthers management is fantastically dumb. Start with replacing Dale Tallon's eye-test atavism with numbers guys who went to West Point. An analytics revolution! Hockey the right way! The online way! Except they sucked at everything. They fire Gerard Gallant, who had just coached up a good-not-great team into a division championship and a respectable playoff appearance against Long Island that would have gone better but for the other team having John Tavares. Tom Rowe was an idiot, Barkov/Ekblad/Huberdeau were hurt all the time, everything went wrong, so Tallon was brought back from Vice-President of Golfing in Boca Raton to do the opposite of whatever the failed guys did. Somehow he decided that the right thing to do for the expansion draft was to trade Reilly Smith to Vegas in exchange for drafting Jonathan Marchessault -- not for not drafting Marchessault, but agreeing to take him plus Smith. They didn't want to give up, I dunno, some dumb signing Tallon made. So who are three of the biggest pieces of their puzzle? Sure enough, Gallant, Smith, and Marchessault! And the Panthers? They're in ninth place, hoping to squeeze past Jersey for the last playoff spot, which they could probably do, but if they had those three guys, they'd be in for sure. What a ridiculous waste of a franchise. At least their arena provided a large venue for Marco Rubio to get owned in.

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

That the Golden Knights turned out to be this good is an embarrassment to the NHL.

Speaking of which, the L.A. chapter of the PHWA has nominated Dustin Brown for the Masterton, for heroically overcoming all those times opposing players forced him to drive his knee into them.

I love this. Give me more. Let Dale Tallon ship another first line to Seattle in two years. Expose the people in charge for the idiots they are. If I can't get that in real life, just give it to me in sports.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Our nominee is Jeff Glass! What did he heroically overcome? sucking? Because guess what, he didn't!

The Masterton is a good award and I'm glad the NHL has it; it's the hockey-est award hockey could have. But please, give teams the option to say "sorry, no one here was particularly courageous this year" and not nominate anyone. Shane Doan was nominated one time because his daughter got bit by a dog. I'm sorry about your daughter, but the trophy is named after a dude who died on the job.

Ryan O'Reilly still top of the charts, though.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

Yeah Rinne should have no trouble going four rounds deep two years in a row, no problem at all.

I just have no idea how the guy is having his career-best season at 35. He's got a better team in front of him, than last playoffs.

It's the post-season, anything can happen. At this point, though, I wouldn't bet against him.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

4 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

Reviews need to be about reversing obvious errors, not getting the call 100%.

Reasons why limiting video replay to 60 is a good idea. If you cant tell that the ref is wrong, trust the ref.

Either way, that should not have stood. 

Ref originally said no goal, after conversing, ruled it a good goal. 

Video review should have overturned it. 

And people thought the NFL catch rule was bad. 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

Archived