Winter of Discontent: The 2017-18 NHL Season

HedleyLamarr

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oilers roar out to a 3-0 lead halfway through the 1st, lose 7-3 to The Beej. We're 8 months away from a perpetual Canadian churn of "McDavid to Toronto???"

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

4 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

We're 8 months away from a perpetual Canadian churn of "McDavid to Toronto???"

Trade proposals on HFBoards which will be McDavid and a 1st for Connor Brown.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Ducks (91) couldn't manage to even piss down their own leg in Vancouver yesterday. Completely inept.

Five games left. Home for LA (91), Colorado (90), Minnesota (94), Dallas (86) and on the road at Arizona.

Even though they'd play the Avs in the next game, if they lose on Friday at home to the Kings, I'm going to go ahead and call it. This team can play so uninspired at the least opportune times. Earning a point against Winnipeg and coming back against Edmonton were near miracles, and as the Blue Jackets just showed, it shouldn't be that way against the Oilers. What used to be touted as a strength and praised for its young depth, the defense has been awful when it comes to shot suppression and simply clearing the zone. Kesler can't have been 100% at any point all season when he came back in December from his hip surgery, and his line with Silfverberg and Cogliano has suffered for it.

If the Ducks don't qualify for the playoffs or if they do and are eliminated in either of the first two rounds, Carlyle needs to be fired that evening. I'm not going to sit through that dog and pony show again. This team has talent, and its problems continue to look systemic. 

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

So during the regular season I typically only follow the Caps and their division rivals (from a distance). I was checking the standings the other day and saw that the Hawks were in last in their division. Seems like such a steep drop off for one of the NHL’s best franchises of the last decade. Can any Hawks fans elaborate?

spacer.png

Corey Crawford died and the team has 2.5 defensemen.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Wow, Vegas actually has a good strategy to try and keep opposing team fans out of their arena, for the playoffs.

Man, this makes the zip code blackout teams (Nashville included) look like :censored:-hats.

https://www.ktnv.com/sports/golden-knights/ticket-sales-announced-for-vegas-golden-knights-home-playoff-games

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

2 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

So during the regular season I typically only follow the Caps and their division rivals (from a distance). I was checking the standings the other day and saw that the Hawks were in last in their division. Seems like such a steep drop off for one of the NHL’s best franchises of the last decade. Can any Hawks fans elaborate?

Crawford had a season-ending injury in the middle of a Vezina campaign, which laid bare the following:

1) Brandon Saad dogging it on backchecking and suffering from a Murphy's-law shooting percentage

2) Marian Hossa was one of the best all-around forwards of all time up through his final season and he had to retire due to formaldehyde poisoning

3) Keith and Seabrook are in steep decline, adding Murphy cost Hjalmarsson, they couldn't replace Campbell, and there basically is no third pairing

4) a fourth line that was not an elite shutdown unit but just a bunch of replacement-level dudes flailing around doing crap 

5) After striking gold on Niemi, Emery, Raanta, and Darling, the Bowmans failed to find stellar backup goaltending, or even supra-.900 goaltending. 

It's all quite the tale of how here-today-gone-tomorrow the NHL can be. Here's a team that was regarded as one of the strongest organizations in the league, with a core of elite talent supplemented by a reliable pipeline of secondary players. Guys get paid as they should, some stay and others go, but then the Canadian economy has a giant beer fart and everyone's budgets get shot to hell and teams like the Blackhawks can't keep their rosters together. If Crawford stayed healthy, the Hawks probably finish third and go out in the first against Winnipeg, you shrug and say you ran into a buzzsaw with a flawed team, you keep at it for next year. But he gets hurt, exposes all these flaws, and now apparently the entire sport of hockey is dead and buried in Chicago for all time, the bandwagon is completely empty, no one here will ever watch or play hockey again as long as they live, the Blackhawks are finished, long live the Bulls, the Bulls are the future (in reality, the Bulls have no future, but we're living in the days when anything NBA makes people hit their knees and start sucking). 

But hey, if we learned one thing from the great George McPhee, it's that you should punch opposing teams' coaches in the face! And if we learned two things from the great George McPhee, the other one is that there's no longer any need to have a long-term rebuilding plan, you should just make video game trades every summer until you end up with the team you like. So now that that's the proven way to build a roster, maybe the Hawks can get out of this after all!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

32 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Wow, Vegas actually has a good strategy to try and keep opposing team fans out of their arena, for the playoffs.

Man, this makes the zip code blackout teams (Nashville included) look like :censored:-hats.

https://www.ktnv.com/sports/golden-knights/ticket-sales-announced-for-vegas-golden-knights-home-playoff-games

Where exactly are you seeing this? The perk that Season Ticket holders can get a discount on tickets, but can't sell them on StubHub?

There's still another option to get a smaller discount and the ability to sell tickets. The ones that go for the first option were already going to the games anyway. That's not taking away an opposing fan ticket.

I don't really see how any of the ticket options listed in there will "keep opposing team fans out" more so than any team.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

7 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Where exactly are you seeing this? The perk that Season Ticket holders can get a discount on tickets, but can't sell them on StubHub?

There's still another option to get a smaller discount and the ability to sell tickets. The ones that go for the first option were already going to the games anyway. That's not taking away an opposing fan ticket.

I don't really see how any of the ticket options listed in there will "keep opposing team fans out" more so than any team.

It isn't a hard-line tactic, is my point. It makes a reasonable attempt to curb some of why a portion of fans resort to selling their tickets: the costs. It will encourage STHs to grab theirs, and then sell to locals. It's not going to keep everyone out, but it's a reasonable measure that doesn't reek of desperation, like most clubs try.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

16 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

This whole thing is so convoluted and gimmicky that we'll need a new "OTGDVGK" acronym.

So, looking at multiple sources here's what I'm putting together:

*Full season ticket holders automatically enrolled in the oh so prestigious "Knights Vow" program.

*Knights Vow playoff tickets are 125% what the regular season equivalent would be. 

*Opting out of the Knights Vow program bumps the price to 175% what the regular season equivalent would be but opting out allows for resale ONLY on Stubhub.

*Half/quarter season ticket holders can transfer but are barred from reselling.

*Foley is assuming that one of the foreclosure capitals of America won't have any issues with paying off tickets after they've been redeemed.

*Foley is also assuming that potential playoff opponents in more financially prosperous areas will balk at paying for the Knights Vow waiver markup.

Would have been easier to just whitelist a bunch of Montana zip codes.

VmWIn6B.png

Bruins take over first place in the East with a win over Tampa. 

Oh, and they’re still missing Chara, McAvoy & Nash. 

This team is going to be as scary as an angry Grizzly come playoffs when they’re fully healthy.

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

12 minutes ago, ozzyman314 said:

This team is going to be as scary as an angry Grizzly come playoffs when they’re fully healthy.

Team won't be able to bear playing them!

The emergency backup goalie is one of those little quirks that really reminds you how small, insular, and inescapably of-the-people the hockey community is. Imagine some random jerkass at a Cardinals game being designated as the guy who might have to come out of the bullpen if the game goes to extras but Tony La Russa burned all eleven of his relievers in the 7th. It would be the premise of a movie. In the NHL it happens every year or two.

John McDonough has had...an idea!

A few days after each GM meeting, I’ll ask if anything was missed in the initial post-mortem. Most of the time, the response is, “Believe me, you didn’t miss much.” Once in a while, you get something different.

A couple different sources pointed in the direction of Chicago, which suggested an interesting, offbeat idea.

Stan Bowman’s been the Blackhawks’ GM since 2009. After 24 years with the Chicago Cubs, John McDonough became president of the hockey team in 2007. His baseball background is relevant for the purposes of this conversation.

At this point, the ghost of Bill Wirtz, as represented by his likeness at 35% opacity, descends from the sky and inhabits the body of John McDonough:

“John’s been asking me for a long time, ‘Explain this healthy-scratch idea,’” Bowman said Monday, referring to players who don’t dress for games. “He’d say, ‘But we are paying them, right? I don’t get why we are not using them.’

So basically you could sub a healthy scratch in for an injury mid-game. I like it. As Bowman alludes to, we're out of the goon era, everyone carried on the roster needs to be able to play, so a natural progression of the game's demand for speed and short shifts would be to avoid double-shifting due to injuries.

Archived