Winter of Discontent: The 2017-18 NHL Season

HedleyLamarr

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right; it is awesome.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

As someone who's been a Pittsburgh sports fan as long as they can remember (more or less a Steelers fan and a casual Pirates fan but I was surrounded by diehard Pens fans throughout my childhood), I tread carefully with "trash-talking" since I'm aware of the bad reputation my fellow fan base carries around and make it clear when I'm kidding around. I try as hard as I can not to be grouped in with the stereotypical Pittsburgh fans. Of course, you have some people who overshadow the sensible fans with their pettiness. Combine that with success for the past decade after a period of basically no support, and you get yourself a hated franchise. Yay :wacko:

I get you were joking(?) with the first remark @Viola73, but saying "You hate us cuz u ain't us" isn't going to get you much credibility, especially as a Pittsburgh sports fan. I don't know what reaction you were expecting to get on these boards other than people being ticked at you. 

For the record, I never really got into the Penguins, because by the time I really got into hockey the team was consistently good and I never had the connection with them that I do with the Steelers. Color me in as one of the G-Knights transplants. 

And I know this is clichè, but no, not all Pittsburgh fans are like the stereotypes suggest they are. I still feel like I should put this here. 

Is it weird if I root for, and like certain players on the Penguins, but at the same time want the Penguins to never win another game???

I really like Guentzel, Kessel, and Malkin, but I never wanna see the Penguins win another cup...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

I don’t hate the Penguins. Maybe it’s because of when I grew up. I was ten in 1997, and so I only caught the tail end of Mario’s first run, where they were making the playoffs but not winning any Cups. 

They were an ok team for a while before they got really bad, and almost moved to Hamilton and then Kansas City. Then they got Crosby.

So to me the Penguins aren’t this annoying team that always wins. They’re a  bad team that got their crap together and turned it all around. Same with Chicago, really. I don’t really view them as an annoying juggernaut either.

You probably shouldn’t be talking trash after starting 0-2 and finding yourselves on the wrong end of a 10-1 thrashing though. 

I liked the Penguins as a kid.  Pretty much for their uniforms.  So when they met the North Stars in the finals, the worst case was a consolation prize.  And I never held ill will for the result.  And even though they are just getting back to having their best look, I always kinda liked them and they are a rare team with a lot of wins that I don't mind seeing win. (Ducks tomatoes)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

My Pens-directed venom comes from the fact that I've only ever known them with Crosby and being annoyingly good. I've only been a hockey fan since 2011. Plus the countless, countless playoff losses don't help. 

Idk, I've always gotten an arrogant vibe from the Pens and their stars. Something about them rubs me the wrong way. But I'm sure people feel like that about my team too, and that's okay. At the end of the day it's all just opinion. But anyway, i gotta try and enjoy the next 6 months. The season won't last much longer than that for me B)

spacer.png

My Pens hate comes only from their fans. I love Crosby and really every Penguin of the past ten years (not including Matt Cooke) but their fans are just the goddamn worst. Not that all of them are like that, of course, but enough that it colours my view of the team.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Before 2016, the Penguins were becoming a more talented Washington Capitals: Sidney Crosby should have more than one Cup, something always goes wrong, their big money goalie is a playoff choker, etc. So I was happy to see Crosby fulfilling his potential, Fleury mostly redeeming himself, and Kessel eating hot dogs out of the Cup. I wouldn't mind if they were done winning, though. Same with the Blackhawks... they had their time in the sun, and now I'd rather have somebody else at the top.

5 hours ago, The Six said:

The Penguins hate on this board is almost as bad as the Cardinals hate.

My Pens loathing stems from working with the fine people of eastern western Pennsylvania for several years as part of a crappy old job.  Constantly having to hear from crusty sourpusses, bitching at me in their oily Pittsburghese accent, and inevitably their call would be related to missing a Pens game.  

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

9 minutes ago, CS85 said:

eastern Pennsylvania ... Pittsburghese

?

PIttsburgh is a unique and rising city with friendly natives, a nice mix of architecture and natural scenery, and a hockey team full of tradition and heartache. They're kindred spirits.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 hours ago, The Six said:

The Penguins hate on this board is almost as bad as the Cardinals hate.

Cardinals (and Blues) fans are more tolerable when you realize most of their general awfulness comes from a massive inferiority complex St. Louisians have, the source of which is "all things Chicago."

Congratulations to the Las Vegas fans in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming.

Let's hear it for the 2017 NHL Offseason Champions giving up 46 shots on goal to James Neal and some misplaced insurance salesmen.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Congratulations to the Las Vegas fans in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming.

Let's hear it for the 2017 NHL Offseason Champions giving up 46 shots on goal to James Neal and some misplaced insurance salesmen.

Dallas had 46 shots, Vegas had 30

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

4 hours ago, FGM13 said:

My Pens hate comes only from their fans. I love Crosby and really every Penguin of the past ten years (not including Matt Cooke) but their fans are just the goddamn worst. Not that all of them are like that, of course, but enough that it colours my view of the team.

Thanks to the internet the narrative of "this team's fans are good, this team's fans are bad" is complete BS

Every team in every sport has good fans and bad fans, if you like or dislike a team because of that you are dealing 100% in confirmation bias

1zgyd8w.jpg

Archived