MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

1 hour ago, KittSmith_95 said:

The Padres have 3 options IMO:

1. Brown & Yellow

2. Navy & Yellow

3. Brown & Orange (My personal fave for them.)

Also, they should be bring back that tawny colour they wore on the road over the grey. It was unique to them & if the right shade, would work with all 3 colour schemes suggested here. 

No one in baseball uses brown.  You would see the Padres and immediately know it's them.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only issue I have with the rangers look is they should get rid of the drop shadow on the T since its nowhere else now on the jersey.

But I guess their thinking is the shadow still gives a nice amount of the secondary color, so whatever.

I don't remember what thread it was on in here but someone f'd up their black Expos hat and he couldn't find a new one. Here's one. I was looking for Hot Dog on a Stick Expos hats and came across that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Montreal-Expos-New-Era-5950-fitted-hat-7-1-8-Black/253576590336?hash=item3b0a57b400:g:rC0AAOSwNxda3CFE

On 5/1/2018 at 12:57 AM, Fresno St. Alum said:

I don't remember what thread it was on in here but someone f'd up their black Expos hat and he couldn't find a new one. Here's one. I was looking for Hot Dog on a Stick Expos hats and came across that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Montreal-Expos-New-Era-5950-fitted-hat-7-1-8-Black/253576590336?hash=item3b0a57b400:g:rC0AAOSwNxda3CFE

That was me. It was a 39thirty tho. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 30/4/2018 at 10:41 PM, KittSmith_95 said:

The Padres have 3 options IMO:

1. Brown & Yellow

2. Navy & Yellow

3. Brown & Orange (My personal fave for them.)

Also, they should be bring back that tawny colour they wore on the road over the grey. It was unique to them & if the right shade, would work with all 3 colour schemes suggested here. 

I'd throw in navy and orange, especially since they seem to be leaning that direction. 

On 1/5/2018 at 1:20 AM, NicDB said:

No one in baseball uses brown.  You would see the Padres and immediately know it's them.

This is the default argument when it comes to the Padres going back to brown but is it really a good thing? The Diamondbacks have unique uniforms and most people dislike them. The Marlins have a unique look and most people disliked it when it came out (if not still). It doesn't seem like baseball fans in general are that receptive to uniqueness. 

2 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

This is the default argument when it comes to the Padres going back to brown but is it really a good thing? The Diamondbacks have unique uniforms and most people dislike them. The Marlins have a unique look and most people disliked it when it came out (if not still). It doesn't seem like baseball fans in general are that receptive to uniqueness. 

The Diamondbacks and Marlins are pretty far outside traditional baseball uniform parameters though.

But I don't know of many people complaining about this, for example.
3b513c9430b262cbcbd36eebd65c1766.jpg

5 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

Not all uniquenesses are equal. 

There's a difference between an outlier color scheme like the A's or the old Padres, and the Diamondbacks' bloody pants.

Besides, plenty of people love unique touches like the Blue Jays' split-number font or Dodgers' red front number, and many also wish a team like the Reds would bring back vests.  There's ample evidence to show that baseball fans love unique touches so long as they don't clash against the sport's established aesthetic.  

9 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Not all uniquenesses are equal. 

There's a difference between an outlier color scheme like the A's or the old Padres, and the Diamondbacks' bloody pants.

Besides, plenty of people love unique touches like the Blue Jays' split-number font or Dodgers' red front number, and many also wish a team like the Reds would bring back vests.  There's ample evidence to show that baseball fans love unique touches so long as they don't clash against the sport's established aesthetic.  

Where's the line though? Green is an outlier color scheme in baseball but it's common across the big 4 and NCAA. Only one other team in the big 4 uses brown, and it's not a team that anybody wants to be grouped in with, and I can only think of one NCAA team and it's not even in a major conference. 

3 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

Where's the line though? Green is an outlier color scheme in baseball but it's common across the big 4 and NCAA. Only one other team in the big 4 uses brown, and it's not a team that anybody wants to be grouped in with, and I can only think of one NCAA team and it's not even in a major conference. 

The line is handled on a circumstance-by-circumstance basis.  Ask Justice Stewart.

Trying to apply a broad brush to a subject like this is probably a fool's errand.   As is comparing the relative aesthetics of totally different sports; what works in one may not work in any others.

9 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

You’re forgetting that plenty of people grew up with the Padres in brown. Because they grew up with it (and it’s not some new, “scary” design like the Marlins or Diamondbacks), that makes it OK. Nostalgia and hipsters can fuel it.

2 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

You’re forgetting that plenty of people grew up with the Padres in brown. Because they grew up with it (and it’s not some new, “scary” design like the Marlins or Diamondbacks), that makes it OK. Nostalgia and hipsters can fuel it.

That doesn't sound like a solid foundation to build on, especially since anyone born after 1985 or so grew up with blue. 

Really though, this is a subjective topic that can't be argued objectively.

3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

3 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

That doesn't sound like a solid foundation to build on

That's because it isn't serious.  It's a ludicrous straw man.  Or a joke.  I'm going with "joke".

10 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That's because it isn't serious.  It's a ludicrous straw man.  Or a joke.  I'm going with "joke".

It’s a joke at the logic used by the dboi types, who assume that people who don’t like things that they like are “nostalgia-blinded.” It’s overly-simplistic logic that misses a bunch of nuances. I liken it to the phrase “EDUCATED STUPID,” made memetic by conspiracy theorist Gene Ray of Time Cube.

I’m normally more tactful in my jabs. I apologize, as I was venting a little this morning. 

42 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

It’s a joke at the logic used by the dboi types, who assume that people who don’t like things that they like are “nostalgia-blinded.” It’s overly-simplistic logic that misses a bunch of nuances. I liken it to the phrase “EDUCATED STUPID,” made memetic by conspiracy theorist Gene Ray of Time Cube.

I’m normally more tactful in my jabs. I apologize, as I was venting a little this morning. 

I was almost sure you were kidding.  But these days...  :P 

Archived