ANGELCAT-IDA61

MLB changes 2018?

10 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I just had a thought about the D-Backs.  Some fans like their red color, some fans want the old purple & teal back.  As far as I hear, the front office doesn't want the purple back because it's the Rockies color.  So the compromise between red and purple is magenta!  No team in MLB uses it (I don't know of any team that does) and magenta & teal would be similar to the old southwestern look.  

Made this up real quick based on this idea. Included original teal and a brighter shade that I think matches the magenta better

HyBuJQT.png

24 minutes ago, seasaltvanilla said:

fVHvYCg.png?1

Anyways, the D-backs in 2001 throwbacks tonight look great.

zack-greinke-of-the-arizona-diamondbacks

Context is a thing.

Anyway, that's the best the Diamondbacks have ever looked.  Gorgeous.

When even in baseball it's referred to as the Walgreens W that pretty much says all you need to know about who's winning the context wars. No one looks at the Yankees NY and thinks about context.

1 hour ago, seasaltvanilla said:

When even in baseball it's referred to as the Walgreens W that pretty much says all you need to know about who's winning the context wars. No one looks at the Yankees NY and thinks about context.

People who aren't baseball fans frequently mix it up with the NY of that other New York club.

And that club's monogram literally needs the context of a surrounding color to not be mistaken for the logo of a previous New York team.

4 hours ago, NicDB said:

Context is a thing.

Anyway, that's the best the Diamondbacks have ever looked.  Gorgeous.

This might be one of the best looks not just in Diamondbacks history but in baseball history.

5 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

Made this up real quick based on this idea. Included original teal and a brighter shade that I think matches the magenta better

HyBuJQT.png

This or the current Sedona red along with either of these teals are all gorgeous combos. They really don't need to bring back purple. 

quiet-life-city-limits-teal-purple-and-w

Useful-lunar-raid-mens-nike-hyper-jade-b

fc-754gr-1.jpg

5 hours ago, NicDB said:

People who aren't baseball fans frequently mix it up with the NY of that other New York club.

And that club's monogram literally needs the context of a surrounding color to not be mistaken for the logo of a previous New York team.

1. No; they don’t.  

2. Well, yeah.  Because taking the logo of a defunct club was precisely the point.  That doesn’t exactly help your argument.  

5 hours ago, NicDB said:

People who aren't baseball fans don't know about the Mets. (Sorry Mets fans).

Tom Brady levels of stretching going on here.

1 hour ago, seasaltvanilla said:

People who aren't baseball fans don't know about the Mets. (Sorry Mets fans).

That's true - which is why many, especially outside of the country, wouldn't know the difference if given a Mets cap - especially since both Mets and Yankees caps are available in so many different colors, it's not like the blue and orange would instantly resonate with people.  I've seen "yankees" gear in 27 countries / country-ish places, and there's a segment everywhere that knows what a Yankees cap is, and there's a (IMO larger) segment that wears the caps because it's "cool" to wear a western thing, and would never even notice the difference between the NYY's and NYM's NYs.  In Tokyo, you're going to get mostly Yankees caps.  In rural Cambodia, you'll get Yankees, Mets, and hand made / knock off, because nobody cares about the clubs they represent, it just represents "cool western".

9 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

HyBuJQT.png

That second option looks great!

I still think the maroon and black work well with the tertiary accent of teal.  Reminds me of the southwest style of jewelry and color schemes.

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

1. No; they don’t.  

2. Well, yeah.  Because taking the logo of a defunct club was precisely the point.  That doesn’t exactly help your argument.  

Are people still confusing the Mets with the Giants? The Giants moved to San Francisco 60 years ago. 

10 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

HyBuJQT.png

Wow - just reading the description, I would never have expected it to look good, but damn - that really does look great.  

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:
10 hours ago, NicDB said:

People who aren't baseball fans frequently mix [the Mets' logo] up with the NY of that other New York club.

No; they don’t.  

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

many, especially outside of the country, wouldn't know the difference if given a Mets cap - especially since both Mets and Yankees caps are available in so many different colors ... there's a segment everywhere that knows what a Yankees cap is, and there's a (IMO larger) segment that wears the caps because it's "cool" to wear a western thing, and would never even notice the difference between the NYY's and NYM's NYs. 

This is true.  And it is not just foreigners, nor is this a recent phenomenon. Even going back to when I was a kid in the 1970s I would frequently encounter adults who didn't know one logo from the other or one cap from the other.  I had aunts like this, despite the fact that they had husbands and sons who were big baseball fans.  My brother and I would frequently just look at each other in amazement over these people.  But they existed then and unquestionably exist now.

The most high-profile example of this confusion comes from my favourite television show of all time, The Odd Couple.  In an episode in which we see a flashback of Felix and Oscar in the Army, Felix is Oscar's commanding officer, and is chewing him out for his slovenly dress.  Felix asks Oscar: "Is that cap regulation?"  

Oscar is clearly wearing a Met cap.  It's backwards, so the logo is not facing the camera in this particular scene. But we have seen Oscar from the back in the previous scenes, so we have seen the logo.  And the cap is royal blue. Nevertheless, Oscar's response to Felix's question about whether his cap is regulation is "For the New York Yankees it is, sir."

http://dai.ly/x5w4muv

(The line comes at the 10-minute mark.)

So, evidently Garry Marshall, a native New Yorker, was one of those people who could not tell a Yankee cap from a Met cap.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Wow - just reading the description, I would never have expected it to look good, but damn - that really does look great.  

Magenta complements the teal pretty well

I think that's the first time anyone ever said Barney-esque

26 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

Magenta complements the teal pretty well

And, as @daveindc's post shows, those jewel tone shades are very in with the kids these days. 

That last D-Backs update looked dated instantly, apart from the bloodstain elements which appeared from a future no one wanted.

24 minutes ago, Ark said:

I think that's the first time anyone ever said Barney-esque

That’s more the proposed magenta shade not the original purple. The original purple, while nice, never really appealed to me. Had they used a darker, more saturated shade of purple with a lighter turquoise (the real star of the show, IMO), it would have been better. Deleting black caps would also have helped.

Still, Sedona Red/Turquoise/Copper/Sand is a fab color scheme, as is Black/Turquoise/Copper/Sand and Dark Purple/Light Turquoise/Sand. None of the color schemes the team has used up to this point have really captured the potential of the brand.