MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Ark said:

The original has too much teal.

The best thing would be in the middle of the original set and the 1997 set. Maybe the 1997 set with teal pinstripes.

No such thing as too much IMO.  I'm really into the color lately.  Became a Hornets fan because of it.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

52 minutes ago, ZipperClub said:

That #6 Renteria jersey is for current CWS manager Rick Renteria, which dates it as 93 or 94.

BB-Ref has Edgar in 16 from 96-98, and 3 for part of 97.

You're absolutely right... don't know how I missed that. I think my mind read the 6 as part of his 16 and I convinced myself it was accurate. 

13 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

No such thing as too much IMO.  I'm really into the color lately.  Became a Hornets fan because of it.

Also, when the Marlins were heavier on the teal, you knew right away it was them when you saw them on TV.  As they incorporated more black, they looked too much like the White Sox.

Can confirm the pinstripes were teal every year until the change to black in 2003.

4mKiSWH.jpg

That's Moises Alou in his one year with the Marlins, which was 1997. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

6 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Ugh, no thanks.

Always hated that logo - the M is unbalanced because it was designed to anchor one end of a wordmark, not stand on its own.

Agreed.. It's also hurt by the lack of the double-outline that the F in the cap logo has.. But using a more balanced M, based on the left-half of the F from the cap logo could work (in fact, I started tinkering with that idea not long ago at work, just didn't get around to finishing it yet).. And could also be used as the basis for an updated wordmark font, if the original is viewed is "too 90's" (which it's kinda leaning that way a bit for me)..

The Marlins’ old font/script (I use that term loosely, since it’s not cursive) has this whole “I can’t believe it’s not Matrix Condensed” look to it. It’s too tied to that early-mid 1990s wave of aesthetics to really escape from that period. Bringing in black made it a smidge too close to the White Sox, only to get closer with the 2003 tweaks. Had the team just used a darker teal from day one, it may never have been demoted in favor of the White Sox/Rockies clone look.

I’ve never been keen on the 1993-2011 Marlins’ identity, especially not for a team playing in a city with such a rich architectural heritage (e.g., Art Deco) as Miami. That’s why I’d rather the team refine what they have now to emphasize that blue color and firmly demote black to an accent color. Having a better marlin logo than the toothpaste fish would also help.

The “Florida” look fit for a team playing out in the suburbs. It may be the look in which they won two titles, but it’s also what they wore for the ‘98 and ‘06 fire sales. I would prefer that it remain a throwback item, not the primary.

3 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

The Marlins’ old font/script (I use that term loosely, since it’s not cursive) has this whole “I can’t believe it’s not Matrix Condensed” look to it. It’s too tied to that early-mid 1990s wave of aesthetics to really escape from that period. Bringing in black made it a smidge too close to the White Sox, only to get closer with the 2003 tweaks. Had the team just used a darker teal from day one, it may never have been demoted in favor of the White Sox/Rockies clone look.

I’ve never been keen on the 1993-2011 Marlins’ identity, especially not for a team playing in a city with such a rich architectural heritage (e.g., Art Deco) as Miami. That’s why I’d rather the team refine what they have now to emphasize that blue color and firmly demote black to an accent color. Having a better marlin logo than the toothpaste fish would also help.

The “Florida” look fit for a team playing out in the suburbs. It may be the look in which they won two titles, but it’s also what they wore for the ‘98 and ‘04 fire sales. I would prefer that it remain a throwback item, not the primary.

The teal is a fine look, but that color scheme (without the Miami logos) could be for any city. The logos they have now are much more Miami-centric, and if they swap the black for that brilliant shade of light blue, they'd have something great.

I also think that it would be even better if they then swapped the orange for pink, but that won't happen.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

58 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, just to confirm, the Jackie Robinson patch identifies this game-worn jersey as 1997.

103412a_lg.jpeg

They may not look teal to you in that video, but that's why videos are not a great reference for colors.

Best they ever looked. Never dug the vests. 

17 minutes ago, ZipperClub said:

Pirates bringing out the Memorial Day set a week early because, reasons?? They’re at home next weekend as well as tonight.

That’s what they are wearing for all home Thursday games this year...replacing the brown camo. It’s based off last year’s uniforms. Hat is green. 2018 they are black camo.

KISSwall09.jpg

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:38 PM, daveindc said:

I thought this was pretty cool (click play):

It's cool except for Guaranteed Rate having dimensions it hasn't had since 2000.

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:20 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

How would people feel if Soldier Field had goal posts that were 20 yards wide, while Lincoln Financial had ones that were only two feet wide (and a field that was 80 yards)?

I get that it's part of the "charm" of baseball, but that evolved organically due to locations of parks, which for the most part isn't an issue now.  It's kind of weird how players are rated by their numbers, and one player can have 50 home runs while a vastly superior player only has 40 because he plays in a much larger home park.

The difference is that, other than the turf itself, football is less impacted by the location. It's not like you need to run the ball to win in Seattle because you can't throw the ball as far or something crazy. Baseballs are more drastically impacted by conditions such as high elevation, domes, or even just an unexpected side effect of the stadium design creating a wind tunnel. I appreciate it with baseball.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

4 hours ago, ZipperClub said:

Pirates bringing out the Memorial Day set a week early because, reasons?? They’re at home next weekend as well as tonight.

Unfortunately, it's their Thursday home set. I am impatiently waiting for the day they ditch the throwback and add a yellow alt with a solid black Pirates wordmark. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

9 hours ago, WSU151 said:

ckhvh2kef8ignswrgxssk6jw3.gif

The positioning of that is so unbalanced though. I feel like media/merchandise would have this angled in numerously different ways and it would be frustrating for anyone that happens to be OCD.

Archived