MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

9 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I don't hate the pattern.  Heck, I'm really coming around on the red pattern on the shoulders.  But I can't get over the soapy "teal" and the mismatched numbers and lettering.

david-peralta-of-the-arizona-diamondback

archie_bradley.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086

The cap, wordmark, and back number all look great.  Either take the outlines off the name and front number, or make them match.  The piping also looks strange as there's not a trace of their primary color.  It's only in the wordmark and back number.

But it's still good for the Diamondbacks' current identity.

Is red really their primary color? Their primary hat is black and they wear black undershirts

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/3/2017 at 3:32 PM, Silent Wind of Doom said:

(Side note: Looking through Getty Images, it seems that on August 30th Lindor wore Wahoo at Yankee Stadium with the road grays while everyone else wore the block C.  Wonder if that happened anytime else and if anyone noticed.)

We saw something similar earlier this year:

T1oYViW.png

2 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

These pictures hurt....  and nothing to do with the aesthetics.

Two outs, two strikes, TWO two run triples...

Not to mention one by a relief pitcher!

a2BRS8U.png

5 hours ago, jerseyjunk said:

Turquoise, black, red might be a unique statement. But i don´t see those colors working together at all.

Not on a jersey...perhaps on those earrings that was posted earlier,  but damnit, ballplayers don´t wear those earrings!

Those colors are significant to the southwest in general. They work if applied right:

CL-3125-main.jpg

c7f5a56259e75acf6a6e2b8182ac727d--navajo

e02250c01d711b0b5991bd77ca52a0ba.jpg

1 hour ago, daveindc said:

Those colors are significant to the southwest in general. They work if applied right:

CL-3125-main.jpg

very Arizona, I'd love that combo 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

4 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Please!  Ohmygoodness.  Even if just in the stadium.  The green-screen green needs to go and be replaced with Teal.  Make the colors of the ballpark Teal, orange, yellow, and blue.  I'd love to see that also be the team's colors, whether with black or not, but it would make the park look so much better.  When an entire section of your ballpark has become a giant State Farm ad and it's an improvement, you're doing something wrong.

Hehehe.  Day 2.

I don't hate the pattern.  Heck, I'm really coming around on the red pattern on the shoulders.  But I can't get over the soapy "teal" and the mismatched numbers and lettering.

david-peralta-of-the-arizona-diamondback

archie_bradley.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086

The cap, wordmark, and back number all look great.  Either take the outlines off the name and front number, or make them match.  The piping also looks strange as there's not a trace of their primary color.  It's only in the wordmark and back number.

But it's still good for the Diamondbacks' current identity.

At least they fixed that horrible pant stripe this year.  Maybe next year it will be the snakeskin sublimation.

One can hope!!!

7 hours ago, daveindc said:

CL-3125-main.jpg

As i said, i like the colors, on earrings and on these rugs,  just don´t think it looks good on those D-Back jerseys.

The snake head sleeve patch with a teal outline looks incredibly  minor league  

4 hours ago, jerseyjunk said:

As i said, i like the colors, on earrings and on these rugs,  just don´t think it looks good on those D-Back jerseys.

The snake head sleeve patch with a teal outline looks incredibly  minor league  

Is that really a bad thing?

MLB can be so stuffy and bland (how many teams have their cap logo as their primary logo?) that a little bit of MiLB, which is more "fun," can go a long way.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably not relevant for 2018 but Gaslamp Ball, the SBN Padres blog, took a survey on Padres uniforms/colors with over 2000 respondents and, in a surprise to no one, brown was the laaaarge favorite:

https://www.gaslampball.com/2017/10/13/16465784/padres-uniform-survey-the-results-navy-brown-result-vote-twitter-uniform-jersey-color-pcl-throwback

More interesting is how close brown/yellow/orange is to just brown/yellow.

17 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

Probably not relevant for 2018 but Gaslamp Ball, the SBN Padres blog, took a survey on Padres uniforms/colors with over 2000 respondents and, in a surprise to no one, brown was the laaaarge favorite:

https://www.gaslampball.com/2017/10/13/16465784/padres-uniform-survey-the-results-navy-brown-result-vote-twitter-uniform-jersey-color-pcl-throwback

Feels like this do this every year and the results are the same. The only people who don't seem to get that the fans want brown over navy is the Padres organization itself.  

Edit: Just read the whole article, what a well written and detailed piece. I love it. The graphs, the comments, excellent. Now I want brown more than ever. I've always thought the navy could work if it just wasn't so boring but now that piece makes me want them in entirely brown and yellow. Do it!

On 10/6/2017 at 1:20 AM, daveindc said:

CL-3125-main.jpg

I stopped the hating, You all convinced  me, i actually  just ordered a Goldy jersey in that alternate color combo , $350 ! it better come with those matching earings i was talking about ;)

3 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Feels like this do this every year and the results are the same. The only people who don't seem to get that the fans want brown over navy is the Padres organization itself.  

Edit: Just read the whole article, what a well written and detailed piece. I love it. The graphs, the comments, excellent. Now I want brown more than ever. I've always thought the navy could work if it just wasn't so boring but now that piece makes me want them in entirely brown and yellow. Do it!

Theres a difference between what fans want to see the team wear on the field and what they’re willing to buy and wear in public. The ownership is more concerned with the latter, and in general, navy sells. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Theres a difference between what fans want to see the team wear on the field and what they’re willing to buy and wear in public. The ownership is more concerned with the latter, and in general, navy sells. 

The Padres don't sell much brown stuff, at least not relative to the amount of blue stuff, so that's hard to really say. And even then, it's not like Padres fans really represent. The owner said he wanted a "sea of blue" at the All-Star Game in 2016 and, surprise, he didn't get it but the brown and yellow BP jerseys sold like crazy.

6 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

I took the survey and voted for brown/yellow. Brown is the overwhelming favorite, yet, nothing will change. They will trot out to the field in their San Diego Yankees look.

1 hour ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Why not a brown/navy scheme for the Padres? Possibly yellow/gold trim. It could work if done well, wouldn't be as ugly as brown/yellow, and would be a somewhat compromise between fans and ownership.

Two dark colors just dont work well together.  If any kind of blue should go with brown, it should be sky blue.

On 9/19/2017 at 10:21 AM, Matito said:

I have absolutely no inside knowledge, but if a new material is happening, I'd place my bets on the cotton-like material they used for the Mother's Day/Father's Day/Independence Day caps. I have a Father's Day Rays cap, and it's noticeably cooler and more comfortable than my Diamond Era BP/ASG caps.

This might be happening. The material seems to have made a comeback on the pennant-clinching caps for the Astros and Dodgers. New Era seems to refer to it as "heather" material.

On 9/19/2017 at 10:48 AM, ChicagoOakland said:

I think the red & blue is actually their problem...more specifically, the fact that they can't pick whether they want to be a red team or a blue team. When you try and have it both ways, the look just gets cluttered up. I understand the Texas flag is equal parts red, white, and blue, but it just doesn't look good.

If I was them, I would try and take some cues from the redder look of the late '90s, but that's just my preference.

I think what the Rangers should do is be a red team at home, and a blue team on the road. If you're gonna have both colors, take it to the logical extreme, I think. I remember when the Red Sox dropped nearly all red when going on the road, and had either a navy blue or a gray. I can't recall if they still do this, but it was kind of neat, and wouldn't mind seeing the Rangers do something similar.

On 9/19/2017 at 11:13 AM, WSU151 said:

Just wish they'd wear "Rangers" on the home unis again.  All-Texas all the time is strange, especially when they aren't the best team in Texas. 

I agree. I don't like when teams have their location on all their jerseys, including at home. (Looking at you, Marlins). I'm okay with the other way around (i.e. having the team name on the road jersey). I dislike the Rangers doing this, but it has nothing do with them being "bad" or "good."

Archived