MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

2 hours ago, tubby34 said:

That's not a fair question, mostly because we've already discussed why that old stadium blew more chunks than a frat boy on rush week,

However, the stadium was sold out for every playoff game- 75k seats or so, both runs.

That should tell you what you need to know about this market.

However to indulge you-

Marlins averaged

29k in 1997,

21k in 1998 (Firesale)

16k in 2003 (remember they fired their manager in June)

21k in 2004

22k in 2005

In other words, the team gets an attendence spike when it's winning- and nothing when it's rebuilding or burining bridges in the community. Like any franchise should have.

Presenting 22K as a "good" season for the Marlins really isn't helping your case. The Brewers only dipped under that figure once in the Miller Park era, and they play in a metro area less than 40% the size of Miami's.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, NicDB said:

Presenting 22K as a "good" season for the Marlins really isn't helping your case. The Brewers only dipped under that figure once in the Miller Park era, and they play in a metro area less than 40% the size of Miami's.

Thats cool. Shall I take a picture of what is waiting outside my door so you can see the difference between Miami in the summer and Milwaukee in the summer.

This city has so much more to offer compared to Milwaukee that your comparing apples to oranges.

I could walk outside my door right now and see so many beautiful women that the prospect of watching 18 dudes jog on and off a baseball field wouldn't even cross my mind.

Nevermind the beach, the clubs, the nightlife, the bars- or for families- the water parks, parks, hobby stores, conventions and Movies.

These days it's cheaper to go to a movie than a sporting event, AND you can sneak in 24 wings and a 32 oz. I've seen it. Twice.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

10 minutes ago, NicDB said:

I walked outside. Click the images to see whats down here. Why go to a Marlins gameat 4:10 on saturday when you can see beautiful people and enjoy a beer on the beach for $20 total.

C54763_BF_89_F1_483_C_ADA1_F09_C5_AA261_
51_ECBAB6_C7_CB_44_A6_BF05_19_D3_E6_A43_

On 7/12/2018 at 8:19 PM, DiePerske said:

Orioles wore the MD flag jerseys on Saturday last year, the same day it was given away.

Friday, they wore the normal black jerseys.

I was in attendance for both haha

I saw them wear orange last night, which they normally wear on a Saturday. I wasn't watching a replay, was I?

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png

Just now, TheBigFiz21 said:

I saw them wear orange last night, which they normally wear on a Saturday. I wasn't watching a replay, was I?

They switched it, Orange Friday and black flag jerseys today. 

They claimed it was to promote work zone safety

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

6 hours ago, tubby34 said:

Thats cool. Shall I take a picture of what is waiting outside my door so you can see the difference between Miami in the summer and Milwaukee in the summer.

This city has so much more to offer compared to Milwaukee that your comparing apples to oranges.

I could walk outside my door right now and see so many beautiful women that the prospect of watching 18 dudes jog on and off a baseball field wouldn't even cross my mind.

Nevermind the beach, the clubs, the nightlife, the bars- or for families- the water parks, parks, hobby stores, conventions and Movies.

These days it's cheaper to go to a movie than a sporting event, AND you can sneak in 24 wings and a 32 oz. I've seen it. Twice.

I only referenced Milwaukee because I know the Brewers attendance figures off hand, but since you took it there, Milwaukee has literally all of those things in the summer (albeit, Milwaukee skews more bars and taverns, where Miami skews more clubs).  We also have an entire schedule of a couple dozen festivals that run concurrent with most of the Brewers season.  This weekend is Bastille Days.

DFpJ6-1526053947-tile_image-108913.jpg VM_BastilleDays_EiffelTower_HiRes_Jigsaw

The difference is, you can do those things all year round in Miami. But even at their best, only 22,000 want to go to a baseball game?   I'm not saying that to be an a-hole... I know the Bucks attendance has been suspect at times even though they play during a time of year when there is far less to do in the city.   But I don't have trouble admitting there are better cities for basketball.

Miami loves their Dolphins and loves their Hurricanes.  And the Heat will always work because the NBA lifestyle goes hand in hand with the Miami nightlife.  But pro baseball has never seemed to be anything but a niche curiosity in Miami at best.  And certainly their current problems don't seem to dispute this.

As an actual diehard Marlins fan for 25 years, I just hope the day comes when they have a decade of consistently winning teams so we can finally prove all these theories right or wrong. 

Since the Miami Dolphins were brought up... why does the city care about them when they've been pretty much as bad as the Marlins if not worse? My simple theory is that this city has had the Dolphins for the better part of six decades and so it's all this city knows for football. Hate to think it'll take that many years for the Marlins but when the Marlins are here for 60 years I'd imagine they're in a similar boat as far as having fans out of familiarity as much as anything else. At that point it's a matter of "I love the Marlins because my grandfather would watch them with me on TV since I was a baby and now I sit and watch them with my own son as well."

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

As an actual diehard Marlins fan for 25 years, I just hope the day comes when they have a decade of consistently winning teams so we can finally prove all these theories right or wrong. 

If a city needs a decade of consistently winning teams, then it’s not a great baseball town.  Very few cities get a decade of consistently winning teams. 

45 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

If a city needs a decade of consistently winning teams, then it’s not a great baseball town.  Very few cities get a decade of consistently winning teams. 

Weren’t we having this same argument about the Yankees in the 80’s an 90’s as well as the Mets? 

Did NY come and support those teams even in lean years? Curious- not just throwing barrels at ya. 

1 hour ago, tubby34 said:

Weren’t we having this same argument about the Yankees in the 80’s an 90’s as well as the Mets? 

Did NY come and support those teams even in lean years? Curious- not just throwing barrels at ya. 

Even at their worst, the Yankees were middle of the road for attendance, and that was with "little brother" out in Queens contending yearly.

3 hours ago, daveindc said:

The A's in their kelly green uniforms are such a pleasure to look at.  I hope they go with kelly green full time, or at least brighten up their current green a bit. It doesn't need to be that dark.

Related image

Related image

I'm dumbfounded that anyone in A's management would prefer the uniform in the second photo over the first.

2 hours ago, mafiaman said:

I'm dumbfounded that anyone in A's management would prefer the uniform in the second photo over the first.

I do. (#unpopularopinion?) Forest green and athletic gold is one of the best color combos in sports. They go together better than kelly green and athletic gold do, IMO. 

10 hours ago, The Fonz said:

So is mlb doing a players weekend again this year? If so, have the jerseys been revealed yet? I can’t find anything on it. 

I don't think it's been officially announced yet but I can promise you when we do see the uniforms they will look so, so, so stupid.

ClAFLDa.png

Archived