MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

On 7/22/2018 at 7:27 PM, the admiral said:

Don't rehabilitate Jeffrey Loria.

He's gone, there's no rehabilitating him. His legacy is cemented. It's been bronzed, or JB Welded.

I just don't think he was as bad as everyone makes him out to be.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/23/2018 at 1:29 AM, marlinfan said:

Jeffrey Loria is/was a scumbag. He's the reason the team is in its current state. A decade of playing cheap in the draft, meddling in player decisions, and supporting a terrible front office. He continually supported his step-son who alienated fans and the business community. He only owned the Marlins because MLB wanted him out as owner of the Expos and he threatened to sue.

Re: Marlins in orange:

I was 15!

Do you really believe this team would still be in Miami if anyone other than Loria bought it.

We both hate the moves, but at the end of the day he brought another title by adding a little extra in 2003.... and got the stadium done. Stanton, Yelich and others were great to watch blossom on the team too. His biggest problem is he thought he was George Steinbrenner but he had George Costanza money.

5 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

My guess is they'll incorporate the stadium's lights again.  The only stadium in baseball with lights ?

Image result for indians al champs logoudevi9jng488fagfoxxk3lh9v.gif1955.gif

You know, I always wondered wtf was up with those Three things on the 97 ASG logo, thanks for mentioning it was lights.

It'd be a missed opportunity if they just modernized the 97 logo.

On 6/9/2018 at 10:44 AM, SilverBullet1929 said:

Jt Realmuto wore orange trimmed catcher gear and that one bothered me all game. Nobody at least had an all black set of gear laying around? Yes I'm nitpicking but that's what we do here right?

Makes me wonder how often contrasting catcher's gear (gear that's not a team color) has been worn by players.  I can think of one obvious instance.

thurman-munson.jpg

On 6/9/2018 at 10:44 AM, SilverBullet1929 said:

Also the scoreboards were edited too. The smaller scoreboard had a digital image of the old Teal Monster scoreboard and the big scoreboard used 90s digital looking graphics. 

I love it.  Was disappointed there were no references in the new ballpark to the one distinguishing mark of the old one, not even rebuilding it in the concourses like how the Busch Stadium II scoreboard was erected in the walls in Busch Stadium III.

On 6/30/2018 at 11:11 PM, Andrew_Gamer_NZP said:

Dg_EcVYU0AAHaTc.jpg

I had not earlier noticed the line above the crown.  Is that meant to be an ermine cap, or just the stitching of the patch that was used rather than stitching along the complex top of the crown?  I actually dig the look of the crown with a blue ermine cap.  Would be a lot easier to reproduce.

On 7/13/2018 at 5:37 PM, the admiral said:

Agree to disagree: the goal of the post-Wahoo caps should be to retain the color balance of the hats they wore for the last 30ish years but without the objectionable logo:

Image result for 1985 cleveland indians

Dat outline, doe!

On 7/14/2018 at 7:06 PM, SilverBullet1929 said:

As an actual diehard Marlins fan for 25 years, I just hope the day comes when they have a decade of consistently winning teams so we can finally prove all these theories right or wrong. 

Since the Miami Dolphins were brought up... why does the city care about them when they've been pretty much as bad as the Marlins if not worse? My simple theory is that this city has had the Dolphins for the better part of six decades and so it's all this city knows for football. Hate to think it'll take that many years for the Marlins but when the Marlins are here for 60 years I'd imagine they're in a similar boat as far as having fans out of familiarity as much as anything else. At that point it's a matter of "I love the Marlins because my grandfather would watch them with me on TV since I was a baby and now I sit and watch them with my own son as well."

It's the same at Texas and half the US.  Football will be chief there because it's a football town.  It has less to do with the team's history there and more to do with the SPORT'S history there.  Florida had the Gators, Seminoles, Hurricanes, Owls, Bulls, Knights, Panthers, and Rattlers long before the Dolphins.  The people love football so they'll support it even if the team's no good.

On 7/15/2018 at 2:43 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Oh, man, no way. 

The A's have been drab for too long, in terms both of the colour and the uniform style. The only reason I don't complain more about them is that we have teams like the Padres and Reds and Twins who are doing so much worse.

First, the colour. The bright shade of Kelly green was brought in by Finley, and should never have been dropped. Blame Billy Martin, who changed it to forest green.

The A's color scheme is god tier.  Often people clamor for the lighter colors, but I think it's served very well by the contrast between dark green and light yellow.  It emboldens both colors and also contrasts well against the white.

But that being said, my favorite color schemes are the schemes that contrast.  Dark navy and white.  The same with red being a middle shade.  Blue and orange and purple and yellow, which are color wheel opposites.  The dark green, yellow, and white mix much like the navy/red/white.

yoenis-cespedes-of-the-oakland-athletics

The lighter green is a beautiful shade, but I don't feel it has the same contrast as the dark green.  To be honest, I'd like to see it used with black for another team.  Perhaps if a new team were to be put in Portland or Vancouver.  

02a9757519250d400ff0e10e25b119e1.jpgcf372b58c6158c091cc1f109c0fc5bb1.jpg

On 7/15/2018 at 2:43 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

road

DustinFowlerOaklandAthleticsVsChicagoELA4RtMiAyhl.jpg

(but in the lighter shade; and with white pants)

It's hard to tell at that scale, but is that the newer version with the white and yellow piping?  Because that should never see the light of day.

On 7/22/2018 at 10:54 AM, tubby34 said:

Every city could have that reputation though, for instance there was a poll that considered Miami the worst fans in the league, followed by the Yankees and Red Sox. Makes no sense. Both of those have rabid fan bases, and ours is just missing most the time.

The Jeter is a traitor thing is coming from NY, everyone I've spoken to in NY whose a Yankees fan considers him a traitor, and disowns him a little bit. They are upset he didn't try to buy into the Yankees.

Wouldn't surprise me 10 years from now to see Jeter trade his Marlins experience for pinstripes again. This just happened to be what was available when he was ready and in a really nice city. He wasn't going to Minnesota or Detroit.

Different worsts.  New York and Boston have loyal fans that the voters consider pricks.

Do the people in Chicago call Jordan a traitor because he isn't an owner for the Bulls?  

On 7/22/2018 at 11:20 AM, insert name said:

Jeter gave the Yankees an NL MVP to play along side their AL ROY. If anything, Yankee fans love him more than ever. 

It had nothing to do with Jeter I think the majority of Yankees fans know that.  I'm not sure how many Marlins fans know that, though.  Loria screwed the team with his contract.  Stanton's no-trade agreement gave him the power and he made the decision.

On 7/22/2018 at 7:27 PM, the admiral said:

Don't rehabilitate Jeffrey Loria.

For some reason I can't like this post.  So consider this a sixth like.

spacer.png

spacer.png

11 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

My guess is they'll incorporate the stadium's lights again.  The only stadium in baseball with lights ?

Image result for indians al champs logoudevi9jng488fagfoxxk3lh9v.gif1955.gif

Arguably the best tower-style lights in baseball! 

1997 | 2003

On 7/25/2018 at 1:20 PM, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Florida had the Gators, Seminoles, Hurricanes, Owls, Bulls, Knights, Panthers, and Rattlers long before the Dolphins. 

About half right, half wrong here...

Dolphins: 1966

FAU football: 2001

UCF: 1979

USF: 1997

FIU: 2002

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 7/25/2018 at 10:28 PM, marlinfan said:

Arguably the best tower-style lights in baseball! 

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

What’s to LOL?  The light standards are a distinctive feature of the ballpark, very unique when introduced, and including them in event logos is kind of a no-brainer. 

Yeah they are pretty unique.

14124502_1162726493775215_1962701509805818459_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=ed625518c317ea6160d12867319792cf&oe=5BFE7D6D

Related image

The players weekend caps are on lids. Many look the same, except with a contrasting brim. I have the all yellow pirates from last year and it’s the same, but with a black brim. I have the all yellow rays as well and this year just has a navy brim and removed the lighter blue (which really wasn’t Columbia, but similar).

KISSwall09.jpg

Definitely not liking most of the players weekend caps. Way too much monochrome not enough contrast. Like the Royals have a blue KC on a blue crown... Pirates with a yellow pirate on a yellow crown... Rockies with a purple mountain logo on a purple crown... the Marlins one looks like this year's Father's day cap... Mr Red is pinkish looking in his face... 

Not that last years were perfect but these definitely are a downgrade overall.

Phillies do stand out as being better. 

Archived