MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Aznkid25 said:

The SF Giants will be wearing this patch on their jerseys this Saturday, for the Barry Bonds number retirement ceremony. 

2hdsjyd.jpg

Not for sale, as far as I know, but the Giants Dugout Store is giving them away with any $125 purchase this weekend. 

I just realized that this series is against the Pirates too. Not sure if it's a dig at the Bucs for him leaving or it's a way to have both teams he played for involved in the moment. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

9 hours ago, Griffinmarlins said:

I just realized that this series is against the Pirates too. Not sure if it's a dig at the Bucs for him leaving or it's a way to have both teams he played for involved in the moment. 

Likely a sign of respect. White Sox are honoring Jim Thome tomorrow with the Indians in town...they could’ve chosen any time as Thome is an advisor to CWS GM Hahn. This was Cleveland’s only non mid-week trip to Guaranteed Rate this year.

10 hours ago, Griffinmarlins said:

The Twins are honoring Jack Morris on the 18th with the Tigers in town. Teams do it all the time so both of them can pay respects to legends

S8eR5Rf.png

Q2XFfoc.jpg

Huh...  Isn't Wahoo supposed to be gone by the game next year?  Maybe they'll lean into the rock branding in the time leading up to the game.

On 7/30/2018 at 6:22 AM, SilverBullet1929 said:

Thome got the block C on his HOF plaque... sigh 

Waddell%20Rube%20Plaque%20182_NB.png?itoBerra%20Yogi%20Plaque%2074_NBL_0.png?itoHunter%20Catfish%20Plaque%20247_.png?itola-russa.png?itok=Lwge2TxNmaddux_plaque.png?itok=9ENjR1eS

There were options.  Much less stupid options.  Gary Carter doesn't get his number retired by the Mets because the Hall wants people to remember the Expos but Thome can put a logo on his plaque he might have worn during the one month the two coexisted in Cleveland.  Really representative of his career.

On 8/5/2018 at 7:05 PM, Discrimihater said:

About half right, half wrong here...

Dolphins: 1966

FAU football: 2001

UCF: 1979

USF: 1997

FIU: 2002

Always good to have a fact checker.  Thanks.  Got halfway through that list and forgot a team, so I went to look up all the Florida NCAA teams, forgetting that I started the sentence talking about pre-Dolphins team.

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

There were options.  Much less stupid options.  Gary Carter doesn't get his number retired by the Mets because the Hall wants people to remember the Expos but Thome can put a logo on his plaque he might have worn during the one month the two coexisted in Cleveland.  Really representative of his career.

I’d hardly say that it’s stupid. It’s the logo of the team most commonly identified with his career, and it removes any ambiguity about Wahoo “maybe” being on his cap. Doing something like a blank cap or a “can’t see the front” plaque could lead people to accuse him of being pro-Wahoo or anti-Cleveland for not acknowledging the team on his plaque.

It’s also in Cleveland’s best interests to not have Wahoo in such a prominent place. It eases the phase-out.

This also means that (maybe) Kenny Lofton and Omar Visquel will have blank caps or the “Cursive I.”

On 8/10/2018 at 9:07 AM, DOech714 said:

I love the Phillies Players weekend jersey!

ff_3236276alt1_full.jpg&w=900

They look worse than little league jerseys. Worse than Walmart jerseys. It’s crapping all over professionalism. I’m fine with putting nicknames on the NOBs but I fail to see how a childish Jersey is appropriate for “players’ weekend’. Did the players collaborate on the design and pressure the league into letting them wear it?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

They look worse than little league jerseys. Worse than Walmart jerseys. It’s crapping all over professionalism. I’m fine with putting nicknames on the NOBs but I fail to see how a childish Jersey is appropriate for “players’ weekend’. Did the players collaborate on the design and pressure the league into letting them wear it?

Part of the problem for me is it seems like they're trying to make them look like LL jerseys from the 1970s/80s, but few of today's players actually played LL in the 70s/80s.

71ac29be-be4b-4b34-9975-18fa14a178ac.jpg

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

The Players Weekend jerseys would be much improved if the sleeve color extended up the shoulder and to the collar. That look is waaaayyyy more representative of "old school little league" uniforms than this faux vest look that I don't think I've ever seen a little leaguer wear. 

Raglan style like the Padres?

9037645145_3ee1418d2f.jpg

On 8/13/2018 at 1:27 AM, Silent Wind of Doom said:

It’s Wade Boggs’ fault why the HOF gets the final say.

Just to get a small rant out of my system, it will forever bother me that the Mets didn’t retire his number when he was still alive. No one has worn his number since the Mets put him in their HOF (2001). They should’ve done it then. They had another chance when he was battling cancer and they didn’t do it. This is on my list of many reasons why I hate this ownership.

XM4KeeA.png

9 hours ago, Aznkid25 said:

This photo was posted by the Oakland A’s COO earlier today:
33b0f28.jpg

Looks like New Era & MLB will be going back to the Diamond Era material for the BP hats in 2019. 

Source: https://twitter.com/chrisgiles01/status/1029129528050737152

Good. I love the Diamond Era material, but I hated the swimsuit-like stuff from this year's caps.

Secondly, that's a gorgeous cap.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

Archived