ANGELCAT-IDA61

MLB changes 2018?

12 minutes ago, insert name said:

That's dumb. Make the Elephant yellow. 

It’s not dumb. The elephant symbol exists because John McGraw called the A’s a “white elephant” in the 1900s/‘10s. Connie Mack then turned it into a symbol of team pride. If the elephant isn’t white, then it misses the point. The current A’s have made the mistake of coloring it green, outside of a few BP caps.

91z9mUIt4qL._SX466_.jpg

7 hours ago, insert name said:

That's dumb. Make the Elephant yellow. 

Excellent retort, just saying something is dumb and should be the way you want it is the way to win any arguement. Anyways the elephant needs to be white, because they were known as the white elephant by John McGraw way back in the 1900’s. Making the elephant any other color totally takes any meaning away from it. 

9 hours ago, dont care said:

the elephant needs to be white, because they were known as the white elephant by John McGraw way back in the 1900’s. Making the elephant any other color totally takes any meaning away from it. 

In fairness, as @SFGiants58 noted, the A’s seem to have forgotten that themselves.

Manaea.jpg

17 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Maybe adding a yellow outline around the white elephant would help? 

I don't think it needs any help. It's a dark green cap with a white logo. Adding an outline of any color would be unnecessary, and adding a yellow one at that would get lost from a distance and make the logo look bloated as a whole.

Not uniform related, but apparently the Nationals are unveiling their new bullpen cart today. 

Among the big-picture items on his agenda: negotiating new TV and stadium naming rights deals, "rebranding'' the team uniform and colors, upgrading the spring training complex in Jupiter, Florida, and figuring out where the Marlins are headed with All-Star catcher J.T. Realmuto, the team's best player and a free agent in 2021.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24364953/the-education-derek-jeter-baseball-ceo

On 8/17/2018 at 7:33 PM, the admiral said:

it's gonna haaaappennnn...

Lol no it won't. 

On 8/15/2018 at 10:08 PM, SFGiants58 said:

It’s not dumb. The elephant symbol exists because John McGraw called the A’s a “white elephant” in the 1900s/‘10s. Connie Mack then turned it into a symbol of team pride. If the elephant isn’t white, then it misses the point. The current A’s have made the mistake of coloring it green, outside of a few BP caps.

91z9mUIt4qL._SX466_.jpg

Interesting to know the origin! Thanks!

14 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Lol no it won't. 

Not exactly, but I would bet on something like the current M with the marlin in teal and silver on pinstripes. They will be made Yankee-esque.

11 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Not exactly, but I would bet on something like the current M with the marlin in teal and silver on pinstripes. They will be made Yankee-esque.

Jeter has such reverence for the Yankee pinstripes that I doubt he tries to make a Florida team the Yankees-south. IMO, thinking they will look like the Yankees is like all the football "Think Oregon" predictions that never come true.

4 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Jeter has such reverence for the Yankee pinstripes that I doubt he tries to make a Florida team the Yankees-south. IMO, thinking they will look like the Yankees is like all the football "Think Oregon" predictions that never come true.

That reminds me (a bit off topic), aren’t we glad that the Eagles didn’t have a “think Oregon” redesign to fit with Chip Kelly’s whims? 

Back to the Marlins, I’m sure the pinstripes will (sadly) come back and the team will be even more dullsville than they are already. The Art Deco needs to be refined and embraced, not tossed for rehashing the old identity.

On 8/14/2018 at 12:13 PM, Ice_Cap said:

As @Gothamite pointed out the Hall is independent of MLB. Manfred can’t force them to do anything. 

They why can't the hall put Pete Rose on the ballot?  

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t the baseball hall have some morality clause?

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Back to the Marlins, I’m sure the pinstripes will (sadly) come back and the team will be even more dullsville than they are already. The Art Deco needs to be refined and embraced, not tossed for rehashing the old identity.

I highly doubt Jeter’s ownership will go Yankees pt. 2. The polls they put up earlier this year with questions about the uniforms show that they are at least trying to invest in the community and the fanbase to see what they want, leaving all options on the table. I agree that the art deco needs to be imbraced, and hopefully this new set can be sort of a “refresh” of the current version.

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The Hall has chosen to withhold eligibility to anyone currently banned from baseball.  But that is its own choice, not the dictates of MLB. 

I think the biggest problem with the Marlins is that they have a vibrant logo with multiple colors but are essentially a black and orange team on the field...

On 8/17/2018 at 12:41 PM, coco1997 said:

Not uniform related, but apparently the Nationals are unveiling their new bullpen cart today. 

...and they used the inferior road cap for a cart used at home games.  ?

13 hours ago, the admiral said:

Jeter is smarter and more creative than that. Might it have similarities to the good things about the Yankee uniforms? Sure. But I think the idea that he's just gonna duplicate the Yankee uniform down here is silly.