MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

45 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

What about a black road alternate with the Chicago road jersey script in white on the black jersey. That would be an improvement as a road alternate and would keep their usual black alternate as a home option only. 

Not really feelin' that one. I'd rather they stick to one black jersey and wear white at home more, if anything.

I don't want to see them in black pants. The all-navy uniforms from circa '77 were jarring and an even darker color would be worse:

186560274-ralph-garr-of-the-chicago-whit

did have white socks tho

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, zigbazah said:

Is there a more overused alternate than the White Sox black jersey? It's like they hardly wear their primaries. 

Milwaukee says hi. My opinion on it has softened slightly, but I really think that the usage of alternates should be limited, or at the very least limited to a weekend day or something. At what point does it stop being an alternate? I hate going to games and feeling like I'm at a slow pitch softball game, because that's what the majority of alternates remind me of. 

I'm more and more enjoying when teams have a pretty set schedule of when alternates will be worn. It lets you know what to expect from a uniform perspective and it ensures every uniform gets used consistently.

I know the Marlins go with their black alternate only on Fridays and Saturdays and every other day is home white or road gray. Some teams do a day or night thing. Some with more uniforms (like Arizona) have a more daily rotation but whatever it is I think a schedule is the way to go. 

On 8/22/2018 at 4:19 PM, coco1997 said:

Blue and black? That sounds boring as all hell. 

I don’t know, it could look really good if given the right treatment.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

That is almost the only change the Sox need to make. That and put their sock patch back on the roads. 

I’d also argue for restoring the old road pants’ stripe, as well as replacing the ‘83-‘86 styled alternate with a rotating throwback spot. It would enable the team to bring back a bunch of looks on a regular basis (1917 World Series, any number of 1930s uniforms, 1959, 1968-69 road greys, 1972, and 1987-90). They had a lot of highlights in their 90-year “identity crisis,” and it would be good to explore them a bit more.

I don't think white socks would work well with pinstriped pants.  I really don't think solid white socks work at all - they'd need striping near the top.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I don't think white socks would work well with pinstriped pants.  I really don't think solid white socks work at all - they'd need striping near the top.

My proposal would be to go Broncos/1990s Patriots-style: Black uppers, grey-silver middle stripe, and white lowers. The upper and middle parts would be higher on the sock, to emphasize the “white” part.

No, solid white would never work, and even when the White Sox did wear white socks, they were striped. (Or "stripèd" if you watched Homestar Runner a lot.) 

According to Dtt9s, the Sox have had striped or segmented white socks since '46. Something in this neighborhood would work:

al_1950_chicago.gif

where the socks are functionally black but have enough white to them to refer to them as such. You could use that as a starting point and do Northwestern stripes or something like that but I think that's generally the way to go.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Wait a minute, with all the players who wear long baggy pants these days does it even matter which socks they wear? 

I'm just saying, the pic above looks great... for the time period... but you won't get 5 White Sox players to ever dress like that in today's era. 

You could almost make a joke that they do wear white socks but no one ever rolls their pants up anyways so we just never see them. 

20 hours ago, the admiral said:

Not really feelin' that one. I'd rather they stick to one black jersey and wear white at home more, if anything.

I don't want to see them in black pants. The all-navy uniforms from circa '77 were jarring and an even darker color would be worse:

186560274-ralph-garr-of-the-chicago-whit

did have white socks tho

Loved the navy blue version, I would love to see something like that with a more traditional collar.

Yellow hasn't really been a color for the Padres since 2016 despite being on the brown alt so I'm surprised they keep using it for players weekend. Their players weekend jerseys should have been navy and gray (since they're playing on road) or brown and yellow if they really wanted to look like an old school little league uniform and at least the yellow would be paired correctly with the brown. Having yellow with gray this year and even the navy with yellow from last year is super odd looking.

The Orioles' Players Weekend jerseys are nothing short of blinding. I thought it was bad last night, but seeing these in the daylight is even worse. I think I might go blind watching this game.

I also don't like how the black wordmark against the orange background - the black wordmark becomes blurry at any sort of a distance. Needs a white outline to set it off.

On 8/24/2018 at 2:51 PM, SFGiants58 said:

I’d also argue for restoring the old road pants’ stripe, as well as replacing the ‘83-‘86 styled alternate with a rotating throwback spot. It would enable the team to bring back a bunch of looks on a regular basis (1917 World Series, any number of 1930s uniforms, 1959, 1968-69 road greys, 1972, and 1987-90). They had a lot of highlights in their 90-year “identity crisis,” and it would be good to explore them a bit more.

This x100.

As a Sox fan who watches and attends many games, I've had more than my fill of seeing the team trot out their '83 unis nearly every Sunday home game for the past four or five seasons. The Sox have such a rich and interesting uniform history that they could designate a different TBTC uni for every month of the season to avoid the whole Sunday throwback thing getting stale. It was a real treat seeing them wear their 1917 throwbacks last season and I'd love to see them do it more often. I believe Todd Radom has cited these as his favorite baseball uniform of all time. 

white_sox_jersey_mc59h2th_c2iit6j2.jpg

I like the jerseys as far as paint-by-numbers templating goes, but as I think I complained about last year, I wish they’d keep teams’ usual number fonts. Make it a little easier to tell the Braves from the Red Sox from the Angels, etc. for the teams that use the same color scheme.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

4 hours ago, kroywen said:

The Orioles' Players Weekend jerseys are nothing short of blinding. I thought it was bad last night, but seeing these in the daylight is even worse. I think I might go blind watching this game.

I also don't like how the black wordmark against the orange background - the black wordmark becomes blurry at any sort of a distance. Needs a white outline to set it off.

Last years were far better

davis-machado-sidebar-players-weekend.jp

Archived